Now Hiring: Content Writers! Apply today!

Ian

You can still apply :)

Though no promises on hiring people from EST (or America in general) this time. It's not our main focus.

Basically, we have just one (very handy and awesome) content staffer who can do midnight NST stuff for us on a regular basis.

With that in mind I'll probably apply near the end of August or September. :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions:

One: I know it says you should be 'active', but would I be able to write whenever I feel like it (In Others Words, not often).

Two: Would I be able to start a French part of the site instead if I was hired (I'd probably be more active then, just translating stuff instead of writing it)

And if I needed to, absolutely urgently, I probably could be up at 12:00 NST, but only if urgently needed. I would, however, be available at 2:00 AM NST often.

With that in mind I'll probably apply near the end of August or September. :D

Not a problem with us.

We keep the content application opened at all time. (But we only do advertising for it once in a while.)

Two questions:

One: I know it says you should be 'active', but would I be able to write whenever I feel like it (In Others Words, not often).

Two: Would I be able to start a French part of the site instead if I was hired (I'd probably be more active then, just translating stuff instead of writing it)

And if I needed to, absolutely urgently, I probably could be up at 12:00 NST, but only if urgently needed. I would, however, be available at 2:00 AM NST often.

The word active can have many meanings. But basically we prefer if people are able to check on the forums staff chat areas, their emails and neopets news on a regular basis. We also prefer if our staff members stay in touch with us through IMs, Emails, PMs, forum threads or IRC on regular basis.

As far as producing new content is concerned, the guideline is 1-3 new pages or major rework per month. But as I said before, we are pretty understanding and this quota is flexible. As long as you show up and keep in touch, we consider you active.

About the translation, I'm unsure if that's something we would be interested to do in a near future. I do speak French as my primary language, so that's something I could probably work on as well if we were going with that idea. I guess that if you apply, you would need to write a special note about your idea and provide details about it. Then I'd need to discuss the project with Ian before we take a decision.

If anyone has more questions, feel free to ask here or to PM me. :)

I would just like to point out something to anyone who is concerned about not knowing HTML, or not knowing how to do (blank) for the job.

When I applied, the only thing I knew how to do (besides writing) was bold, italic, and underline. But they liked my writing, and accepted me, and then proceeded to teach me everything I needed to know about HTML. The process was completely painless, and only took a day or two. THERE IS HOPE!

Another thing that you may not know is that when you are first accepted, you have a "trial period". The first couple articles or guides you write are kept invisible first, someone checks on them, and then they are made public. And really, even if you mess up on something public after that, it's not permanent; you won't break the site. :D

I hope this made y'all more confident about applying. ^_^

Heh. Midnight shift. I did the midnight shift for the most of the Altador Cup along with a handful of other staffers, and my timezone lines up with NST. Exams, essays, articles for classes. First night I was up till 3 a.m. waiting for results. It's hard, especially when I decided I was going to stop drinking caffeine. (That was a brilliant decision that was reversed XD)

That said:

I've had a BLAST. Wouldn't pass it up for anything.

On a more practical note, HTML and website experience look great on a resume, even if you don't think it wouldn't have anything to do with the job you are pursuing. Showing you're up to date with technology is sometimes just as important as actually having experience in your field of work.

I just applied. Question: When will I receive an answer back?

It just depends. I'm sure it's already been read, but it isn't always "Is he good for our site?", but also "How does he compare to the other applicants?". The average wait time is up to 2 weeks, but then when I applied I was answered in 2 days.

In summary: We don't know. xD

Well I know that I need Ian to be around. And he's away from his house for 10 days (with limited internet access), so at the earliest people will start getting acceptance letters (for a trial period) in 2 weeks.

Although, I'm already skimming the worst applications. The sample of content is mandatory. If I don't see it in the application, it's automatically rejected.

Feel free to apply after your exams then :).

We are always pretty understanding with our staff members about real life events too. (e.g. Exams, vacations, family drama, accidents...)

Aw thanks! ^_^ I hope to apply after my exams are over!

By the way, I got a question. Do you guys use American English or British English?

Aw thanks! ^_^ I hope to apply after my exams are over!

By the way, I got a question. Do you guys use American English or British English?

It's not something that we enforce a lot... but it would be American English if we did. :P

The Daily Neopets is seeking talented writers to be a part of our Content Team! If you're a Neopets fanatic and you love writing and helping others, consider applying for TDN's Content Team. We would love to receive your application! Team TDN has been together for over 5 years now and we think you'll find that our team is uber friendly and awesomely cool. b)

To apply, check out the Content Team Application page. It has a complete list of what you'd do at TDN and an easy-to-fill-out form to apply.

hissi_dance.gif

I whip my head back and forth, I whip my head back and forth!

Are there anymore positions open for different jobs like a news spotter?

I found out I just couldn't wait until late August/early September to apply, so I went ahead and sent an application already.

*crosses fingers*

Hopefully when I get back from vacation I'll get a reply. :)

P.S.: If someone is put on trial for staff, how long (usually) is someone's trial period?

I found out I just couldn't wait until late August/early September to apply, so I went ahead and sent an application already.

*crosses fingers*

Hopefully when I get back from vacation I'll get a reply. :)

P.S.: If someone is put on trial for staff, how long (usually) is someone's trial period?

Trial periods can be a couple of weeks, but if you're really awesome it may be shorter. :P OR if you work at a slow pace it could be longer.

Are there anymore positions open for different jobs like a news spotter?

We are only officially hiring for content. But if we spot someone that applied for content that we think would do awesome in another department, we might refer the applicant to that said department. :)

We are only officially hiring for content. But if we spot someone that applied for content that we think would do awesome in another department, we might refer the applicant to that said department. :)

Oh Ok...sounds great!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I wish I could apply for this for the experience. XD It's a shame that some experience in writing articles is required for this though. Maybe next year I'll apply. n_n This looks like a fabulous place to get involved with.

Your neopets lookup says that you have published books... that would be experience :P.

Having previously worked on a website is not a requirement. We are just curious to know more about your background.

Wait, is it just me, or did you change the app? I little ago I thought it said that we had to write on one of three topics...

It was changed when we installed the form on the application page ;).

Right before we posted this announcements.