Accio Harry Potter Fans!

Duskitty

*is magically drawn to the thread* :weird:

I love Harry Potter. :D I read the first three books when I was 7 (lost interest for a while), and then read all of them and watched the movies a few years ago.

I dressed up as Hermione when I was 8... I wanted to be her when I grew up. xD

168800_1671993371898_1281195_n.jpg (that's me. :D)

Duski, the better question is who isn't a Harry Potter fan? (except don't ask that because we want the HP love in this thread).

Though I do think there is a distinct difference between fans who have read the books, and people who are solely fans of the Harry Potter movie franchise. We bookies shall find the filmies and force them to read the books and bask in the complete glory of JKR (or they can listen to the British audio books and bask in the glory of Stephen Fry AND JKR. Just sayin).

I definitely am. <3 I love the series. I find myself crying every time I read them. Even after all this time. :3

Hello there :P

Fan since I was about... 7/8. I was a toddler when the first book came out, so I read it before the first film was released, and I've been hooked ever since! :D

I was like Hermione as a child, absolutely loved school & reading (still do). But that wasn't enough, as I wanted to be a watch too ):

Me, me, me!!!! HP first came out when I was 9, so when I was reading I was always about the age of Harry and the other characters. It took a few years before I actually read Philosopher's Stone and then I was hooked. I remember pre-ordering for the last 3 books and picking them up on the day, and going to the midnight screenings of the last 5 movies when they came out.

I still read them now too. A few months ago I started to read through the series again and I've back up to Half-Blood Prince and I still cry when all the bad things happen or someone dies, even if I know it's coming.

Me! I think I was about 7 when i read the first book and was hooked ever since. I remember when the 5th came out I read it in like two days - I was glued to the pages at all times. Growing up we (little sister and I) went through a rough time in our lives and were dirt poor and playing pretend that a magical letter from Hogwarts would arrive and whisk us away to become witches kind of kept us going. Now that I have my daughter I can't wait til she's old enough for me to read the series to her :) I think every little girl needs a Hermione to look up to.

Did anyone here go to the Barnes and Noble midnight release for the books? (or midnight parties for the books in general?) My friends and I did them from the fourth book onward, and when the last book came out I was so hooked I stayed up until three pm the next day in order to finish it so I could start rereading it. The drama troupe I participated in had a 48 hour no spoiler rule, but if you hadn't read it by then you were out of luck. :P

I went to the midnight releases- but since I'm Canadian, I went to the Chapters ones. :) So much fun- they had things for kids to keep them occupied until midnight (owl making, etc), and for the Deathly Hallows they made all of these grave stones for various HP characters that were scattered around the store. They all had these nifty little poems on them- I wish I took some photos! I wish I had gotten into HP earlier than I did- a friend made me go see Chamber of Secrets in theatre, and immediately after the movie I asked if I could borrow the four books that were out, and read them in about four days. XD

Though I do think there is a distinct difference between fans who have read the books, and people who are solely fans of the Harry Potter movie franchise. We bookies shall find the filmies and force them to read the books and bask in the complete glory of JKR (or they can listen to the British audio books and bask in the glory of Stephen Fry AND JKR. Just sayin).

Indeed there is. xD I find it hard to believe that some Harry Potter fans have only watched the movies. You are not a true HP fan until you read the books :P Just kidding! -attacked by angry filmies- Ahhh! My last wish is that you watch this video! -disappears under a huge pile of filmies-

I'm a big enough HP fan to know that the Summoning Charm doesn't work on people! :P I'm so glad I got to read the books as they came out (okay, I started just before GoF came out), because it was so much fun trying to figure out what was going to happen next based on the foreshadowing. I am not a fan of the movies. I think it might have been better as a TV show than a movie, because the subplots were so interconnected, it was hard to condense the books into movies without losing too much of the story past the first 2.

I'm a big enough HP fan to know that the Summoning Charm doesn't work on people! :P I'm so glad I got to read the books as they came out (okay, I started just before GoF came out), because it was so much fun trying to figure out what was going to happen next based on the foreshadowing. I am not a fan of the movies. I think it might have been better as a TV show than a movie, because the subplots were so interconnected, it was hard to condense the books into movies without losing too much of the story past the first 2.

*gives you a cookie for the spell knowledge*

And I agree about the television series. I'm just waiting because in ten years some amazing person who grew up on Harry Potter will become a director and make it into a wonderful, detailed mini-series and we'll all be extremely happy with it. The movies cut so much information out that I honestly don't understand how people who haven't read the books can keep track of what's going on. Maybe they have bookie friends who explain it to them. :P

*meeps*

I'm such an HP nerd! I'm pretty much the only one in my group of RL friends (which is sad.. but then, I'm also the only Neopets fan too lol). I've written a couple of pieces of fanfiction, but that was WAYYY back in the day. I'm actually gonna try to get back into it.. rediscovering a lot of my old passions, I guess =)

*gives you a cookie for the spell knowledge*

And I agree about the television series. I'm just waiting because in ten years some amazing person who grew up on Harry Potter will become a director and make it into a wonderful, detailed mini-series and we'll all be extremely happy with it. The movies cut so much information out that I honestly don't understand how people who haven't read the books can keep track of what's going on. Maybe they have bookie friends who explain it to them. :P

One of my friends went with me to see PoA and I had to explain so much to him! but he hates to read, so no bueno! I finally convinced one of my girl friends to read the entire series after I ordered a boxed set. she complained when we tried to watch HBP (plot wasn't moving fast enough) at her house one night. I told her if she'd just read the books, she'd totally understand what was going on! and now she gets it lol.

and I also hope that the series gets remade someday! for the most part, I do like the movies, but so many things could have been better! my biggest qualm: the final battle between Harry and Voldy in the movies. hatehatehate! book version was SO much better!!

my question is: does anyone have any favorite ships outside of canon? for instance, I'm quite the Dramione shipper! =P

EDIT! I just discovered Pottermore... between that and Neopets, I'm not going to have a life! oh, and my UN is DragonHazel10475 if anyone is interested =)

The movies cut so much information out that I honestly don't understand how people who haven't read the books can keep track of what's going on. Maybe they have bookie friends who explain it to them. :P

Agreed. Honestly, I enjoyed the movies... But watching them after reading the books, I wondered how anyone could make sense of them without the books.

I also refused, as a kid, to watch any of the movies if I hadn't read the books. This led to me rewatching the first two movies (as we didn't have the third) over and over and over... I could probably quote them word for word. :P

Harry Potter became popular right around the age when the characters in the first book were my age, so I sort of grew up on the books and felt a connection with the characters. I tend to live in books - I even had a cloak and wand and everything. That was years ago though :P I've re-read each book at least twice so I made sure I didn't miss anything! I agree, the movies could have been done better; they cut out a lot of important information that wouldn't capture the audience who haven't read the books (I've tried over and over to get friends to watch them, but just never got them into it) I remain a loyal fan, however. I have all 8 movies and continue to keep them playing in the background, even now when I'm working on things or hanging out at home.

• 2 weeks later...

my question is: does anyone have any favorite ships outside of canon? for instance, I'm quite the Dramione shipper! =P

EDIT! I just discovered Pottermore... between that and Neopets, I'm not going to have a life! oh, and my UN is DragonHazel10475 if anyone is interested =)

I am an avid Drarry shipper. It's summer which means fest season! I have a few friends who will be writing all summer now, I'm stoked to read what they write. One of my friends wrote "Here's a pencil make it work" for the last ever HD Hols, and it's probably my favorite thing I've read lately.

I also ship Sirius/Remus, but I refuse to believe that wasn't canon. :P

As far as Pottermore goes, I think it's a really interesting idea but they took way too long to open it. I think they lost a lot of their momentum and I don't find it to be a compelling place that I want to frequent like I do Neopets.

I am an avid Drarry shipper. It's summer which means fest season! I have a few friends who will be writing all summer now, I'm stoked to read what they write. One of my friends wrote "Here's a pencil make it work" for the last ever HD Hols, and it's probably my favorite thing I've read lately.

I also ship Sirius/Remus, but I refuse to believe that wasn't canon. :P

As far as Pottermore goes, I think it's a really interesting idea but they took way too long to open it. I think they lost a lot of their momentum and I don't find it to be a compelling place that I want to frequent like I do Neopets.

I have to admit that I like Drarry as well! I've written a few pieces of Drarry and one Dramione that I kept, but they're mature, so I won't link to them.

I think I'm gonna have an artsy night tonight when I get off work.. do some sketches and maybe crank out some drabble =)

My ships were mainly Sirius/Remus and Luna/Ginny. :D Though, I admit to liking some dark Harry/Voldemort fics. :o

I have to admit that I like Drarry as well! I've written a few pieces of Drarry and one Dramione that I kept, but they're mature, so I won't link to them.

I think I'm gonna have an artsy night tonight when I get off work.. do some sketches and maybe crank out some drabble =)

Err, yes. I didn't link to a mature fic, I swear >.>

(I should be better at this, I am on staff...)

But if you have an account you keep your stuff on somewhere I'd totally love for you to PM me so I can check it out :D

My ships were mainly Sirius/Remus and Luna/Ginny. :D Though, I admit to liking some dark Harry/Voldemort fics. :O

Oh man, I can't read Voldemort in anything. You are a brave soul.

Oh man, I can't read Voldemort in anything. You are a brave soul.

I used to have a thing for reading seriously messed up relationships, I guess. I haven't tried reading one in years- I doubt I would be able to enjoy them anymore. XD

Evanna Lynch shipped Luna-Dumbledore. Only Luna personified could come up with that one! (She did clarify that it was with a time-turner, but still... apparently she was shocked when Dumbledore turned out to be gay, though I thought it was a bit obvious in the last book.)

I always thought Sirius had a bit of a one-sided crush on James, so I could never see him with Lupin. But I'm not a huge fan of shipping or fan-fics.

Pottermore... I joined, twice actually (I got sorted into the one house that doesn't match my personality at all, and reading the description didn't convince me, so I got back on the train and came back to be resorted.) I completed the first book twice, but I haven't been back since CoS came out -- it took too long, and I just haven't had the time. I like the material, but I haven't had the time to want to bother jumping through all the hoops to unlock it all.

My ships were mainly Sirius/Remus and Luna/Ginny. :D Though, I admit to liking some dark Harry/Voldemort fics. :o

I never got into any Marauders ships for some reason! But I love Ginny/Luna because I felt like Ginny was always the first one to really accept and make an effort to befriend Luna. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff =) and while I liked some darker fics, I could never read any Voldie pairings. Just too squicky for me. Lucius pairings were always a big no as well =\

Err, yes. I didn't link to a mature fic, I swear >.>

(I should be better at this, I am on staff...)

But if you have an account you keep your stuff on somewhere I'd totally love for you to PM me so I can check it

Lol I didn't even click the link before I replied. I will definitely pm you later with the link to my stuff though =)

Evanna Lynch shipped Luna-Dumbledore. Only Luna personified could come up with that one! (She did clarify that it was with a time-turner, but still... apparently she was shocked when Dumbledore turned out to be gay, though I thought it was a bit obvious in the last book.)

I always thought Sirius had a bit of a one-sided crush on James, so I could never see him with Lupin. But I'm not a huge fan of shipping or fan-fics.

Pottermore... I joined, twice actually (I got sorted into the one house that doesn't match my personality at all, and reading the description didn't convince me, so I got back on the train and came back to be resorted.) I completed the first book twice, but I haven't been back since CoS came out -- it took too long, and I just haven't had the time. I like the material, but I haven't had the time to want to bother jumping through all the oops to unlock it all.

I thought I'd be way more addicted to Pottermore, but I actually haven't even been back since I originally posted about it lol. When I got sorted, I had to choose between Slytherin and Ravenclaw, which I kinda thought my happen =) I chose Slytherin because the descriptions always kinda remind me of Capricorns (which is my sun sign)

I have to admit when my older sister first got into the books I hated them on principle, but I think around the time the third book came out my friends convinced me to read them and I've been hooked ever since!

Did anyone here go to the Barnes and Noble midnight release for the books? (or midnight parties for the books in general?) My friends and I did them from the fourth book onward, and when the last book came out I was so hooked I stayed up until three pm the next day in order to finish it so I could start rereading it. The drama troupe I participated in had a 48 hour no spoiler rule, but if you hadn't read it by then you were out of luck. :P

I went for almost all the books past the fourth as well. I remember for the last book I was visiting my grandparents (+cousins aunts and uncles) and we all went to the release together (it was at a small bookstore though, not B&N) and we all stayed up racing to see who could get furthest and spoil the others :P I'm a slow reader so I lost pretty badly! Oh, and I when I was younger I would dress up as harry for the release parties (under spoiler for big pic, also my resemblance to 12 year old harry may blow your mind):

My mom made that robe for me, she's the best! I still have it hanging in my closet. also I should mention I'm a girl b/c you probably would not guess that

maggiepotter_zps5f38a461.jpg

Indeed there is. xD I find it hard to believe that some Harry Potter fans have only watched the movies. You are not a true HP fan until you read the books :P Just kidding! -attacked by angry filmies- Ahhh! My last wish is that you watch this video! -disappears under a huge pile of filmies-

I would just like to say that only watching the movies doesn't make anyone less of a fan, and doesn't mean that a person doesn't understand what's going on, or the plot. The movies did a very good job of capturing the plot and themes of the books and keeping them coherent in movie format (ie: cutting some beloved but nonessential characters and plotpoints). Of course the movies aren't perfect, but they're pretty damn good and if someone doesn't want to spend countless hours reading the books, then I won't begrudge them. Also I want to point out I'm not angry with you or anything, you're entitled to your opinion. I just think it's annoying when people belittle other fans, or create imaginary criteria for being a true fan. If someone likes harry potter, then they like harry potter. We're all just nerds who love magic and flying brooms. Oh and that video is awesome!! I'm surprised I haven't seen it before. It's always awesome to find new fanmade stuffs!!!

I have to admit when my older sister first got into the books I hated them on principle, but I think around the time the third book came out my friends convinced me to read them and I've been hooked ever since!

I went for almost all the books past the fourth as well. I remember for the last book I was visiting my grandparents (+cousins aunts and uncles) and we all went to the release together (it was at a small bookstore though, not B&N) and we all stayed up racing to see who could get furthest and spoil the others :P I'm a slow reader so I lost pretty badly! Oh, and I when I was younger I would dress up as harry for the release parties (under spoiler for big pic, also my resemblance to 12 year old harry may blow your mind):

My mom made that robe for me, she's the best! I still have it hanging in my closet. also I should mention I'm a girl b/c you probably would not guess that

maggiepotter_zps5f38a461.jpg

I would just like to say that only watching the movies doesn't make anyone less of a fan, and doesn't mean that a person doesn't understand what's going on, or the plot. The movies did a very good job of capturing the plot and themes of the books and keeping them coherent in movie format (ie: cutting some beloved but nonessential characters and plotpoints). Of course the movies aren't perfect, but they're pretty damn good and if someone doesn't want to spend countless hours reading the books, then I won't begrudge them. Also I want to point out I'm not angry with you or anything, you're entitled to your opinion. I just think it's annoying when people belittle other fans, or create imaginary criteria for being a true fan. If someone likes harry potter, then they like harry potter. We're all just nerds who love magic and flying brooms. Oh and that video is awesome!! I'm surprised I haven't seen it before. It's always awesome to find new fanmade stuffs!!!

Sorry. About 65% of what I say is sarcastic, quotes, poking fun or all of that. My apologies. Also, that video is one of my favourite HP fan videos. :D

I am going to have to politely, but strongly, disagree. Watching only the movies makes you a fan of the movies. It is an entirely different experience to read (or listen to!) the books and watch the movies. The movies did not in fact keep the plot and themes of the book coherent in movie format. They cut major plot points and character developments, which makes the plot incoherent to people who have not read the books. This is something that people who have read the books cannot wrap their heads around, because we do know the bigger, detailed story of the books and we fill in the blanks that people who only watch the movies cannot.

In the movies the character of Harry is made into a brooding jerk. He is completely lacking the witty sarcasm and personality that makes him the lovable hero that the entire series revolves around. What is his motivation for refusing Draco's friendship? Why don't we see his deep, true love for the Weasley family, Sirius Black, and Hagrid? Do we get to see just how good he is at DADA, and just how pathetic he is at Potions until he finds the book previously owned by the Half Blood Prince? No. The story telling of who he is as a person is choppy so that bits and pieces of these aspects are present, but not enough that non-book readers completely understand.

Ginny is cut down to next to nothing in the movies, as well. In the books she is smart, strong-willed, determined, and a true match for Harry. She shows magical aptitude, fierce Gryffindor loyalty, and casts a mean bat-boogey hex. In the movies she's a simpering pretty girl, who barely says two words in any situation. I would venture to say that based on word count Ginny speaks less than Dobby in the movies. The most acting Bonnie Wright ever gets to do as Ginny is look like a wide-eyed doe in the presence of the great Harry Potter. And that's a darn shame because Ginny is an awesome character.

Dumbledore's complex character is so compressed in the movies he's almost unrecognizable. He is meant to be grandfatherly, wise beyond the ages, and one of the most powerful wizards in the world. In the movies his personality is lacking the quirks that make him lovable, leaving him to come off as almost distant and calculating. The full scope of his character being cut down also takes more casualties with him, such as Nicholas Flammel (there is minimal mention of him in the first movie, so much so that his part in the origin of the Sorcerer's Stone is not clear), the story of Dumbledore's brother and sister, and the important back story of Grindelwald. The omission of the last point changes the reason for the trio to go looking for horcruxes completely. Instead of going out with the knowledge of what they are looking for and why, the trio seemingly wanders around with no direction trying to find things they know nothing about.

And though it is true that minor characters do generally take cuts when books become movies, the cuts made to characters such as Remus Lupin, Narcissa Malfoy, and the basic non-existence of Mrs. Figg change the story line drastically. They all have background roles in the development of Harry's life, and without the full scope of what they do the story begins to have gaping holes.

But if that isn't enough, for the later movies the entire thing starts to become unrecognizable.

Take Order of the Phoenix for example. It was a joke. They failed to capture how truly evil and dangerous Umbridge was and instead decided to have quirky montages of Filch and Draco trying to get into the Room of Requirement. While the book was a serious, and almost dark affair, the movie decided to go in a whimsical direction that did a huge disservice to the story. Additionally they completely changed the events that lead up to Harry and his friends going to the Ministry, taking away the rock solid reasons that Harry was concerned and determined to save his godfather, and instead making him take a stupid risk for no reason. The importance of the members of Dumbledore's Army was downplayed as well, so instead of being determined young wizards and witches who were doing what they thought was right, they were dumb teenagers following their dumb friends into danger.

None of this means that I don't enjoy the movies. I find it thrilling to see Hogwarts and the magical world come to life. I think Maggie Smith is a perfect McGonagall, and you can bet that when the new HP section of Universal opens I will spill blood to be there on opening day. But I appreciate the movies for what they are, not what I want to pretend they are. And just like you wouldn't claim lions are the exact same thing as tigers, I don't think people who only watch the movies have the same understanding of the world of Harry Potter like people who have read the books.