If you can't use iTunes with MP3 players what do you use?

Naamah D.

I lost my iPod and have decided to go with MP3 players and CD players instead. I'm so used to iTunes so what do you need to transfer music from iTunes to whatever you use to put music on an MP3 player? How do you sync music to an MP3 player?

Does anyone have any MP3 player recommendations? How many songs do they usually store?

Mp3 players are much easier to use than IPods , they act just like any external storage device .. you just plug it in and send whatever songs you have stored on your computer .. they come in different memories , up to 32 or 64 GB I think ... I used to have a Philips Mp3 player and it was really good .. I just stopped using it when I started storing and listening to music on my mobile phone :) Sony Walkman Mp3 player is a good choice

I wish I had an mp3 player instead of my ipod, but it was an expensive gift, so I dont want to seem ungrateful and replace it but truth is I find it a lot more difficult to use than my old mp3 player was..all this messing around with itunes is just a bit annoying, I used to be able to just transfer my mp3s around no problem on any of my computers and so on.

next time Im getting an mp3 player

Personally, I've only had an iPod Nano and a Creative Labs Mp3 player. I have various reasons for liking each.

What you should do is figure out what features are important to you and research brands/models that have those features. If you don't know what you want, do some searching to see what features you might like to have. Keep in mind the amount of storage space you'll need.

I bought my Creative Labs player because it had what I wanted: display screen and shuffle feature. (It also ran on normal batteries, so no charging required.) It also had the bonus feature of an AM/FM radio tuner, which put it over the top for me. Unfortunately, I ended up underestimating my music collection that I actively listened to and didn't get one large enough. It drove me so crazy when I was always having to remove things just to add new stuff, I didn't even bother to shop around and went out and bought an iPod Nano. (Which I absolutely love and don't regret at all, but I could have saved myself some money by planning ahead.)

With my Creative Labs player, there was just software that I had to install on my computer, then it was pretty much just drag and drop for adding/removing music.

I have a sony Walkman MP3 player and I love it! I hardly use it anymore now that I have my iPhone, but I will every once in a while when I'm cleaning so I don't ruin my iPhone. My Walkman player came with it's own software. You could choose to use it with Windows Media Player or with iTunes. However it was not compatible with my macbook. So basically check if it comes with software, or if you can directly connect to itunes and just make sure it's compatible with your computer.

My Walkman was only about $100 a couple years ago when I got it. :)

I have a Sony mp3 player as well, it has drag and drop, so no software required, I can use it on any pc and use it as a removable disk. I still use it sometimes, in mp3 format it can store up to 8 hours of music, it has a display, its small and charges super fast just by plugging it into a USB port, no cable required (5 minutes charging is over an hour of play time and I'm not even using the power saving settings)

It's pretty old already, but still works fine but I'm sure they are available with more storage capacity by now.

I also surfed around looking for what I wanted, my requirements were: drag & drop without software to be installed, display, small, usb charging without cable.

You should definitely make a list of what you want in the mp3 player and search around, think about where and how you'll want to use it, (what will you be doing when using it?) read reviews and then decide which one you like best.

I have an MP3 Player, not sure of the brand. It's not really all that great, it's really cheap and kinda hard to navigate around with. However, it still works. Try looking around at your local Walmart and whatnot. My MP3 Player looks something around this.

Not so great at first, I know; But it's better than nothing!

Edit- (Sorry didn't see your questions.)

I put music onto my MP3 Player using a USB Drive from my laptop, as said above all MP3 Players come with different memories. So the amount of songs that it can hold depends on your memory. Mine can hold quite a lot, and if I'm not mistaken it has around 64 GB of memory.

Good luck!

Assuming you don't have a Mac, MediaMonkey and WinAmp are usually the two most recommended, but I think MediaMonkey has better options for organizing music. A lot of mp3 players don't require using a program to sync, but I think it is easier to have a program keep my music organized for me.

You can fit around 250 songs per GB, assuming all those songs are about four minutes long and of average sound quality. I would definitely round up when you're figuring out how much space you need, because some space usually can't be filled and some files might be bigger. What mp3 player would be best really depends on how much room you need and how durable you want it to be.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Zune and nowadays I just use my phone, but the only problem with that is half of my files or more are in wmp instead of MP3 and my phone hates that. My Zune doesn't care but it's just easier to load to my phone. I just plug my cord into my computer and it acknowledges it as a device. I'll never own an Apple anything, I'm perfectly happy with my cheap windows products.

• 4 months later...

Try mediamonkey.

Way more organized & easy to use

and way less lag. Works with most mp3 players.

If you don't need it working with your mp3 player

try foobar2000. It's the 'next step up' from winamp

offering way better sound quality and it's super customizable.