Deflation? Of over 2Mil in a day?

emily_speck_15

Last night I had the greatest luck. I managed to buy a Wraith Bruce MP for only 400K. I then put it back on the trading post in hopes of selling. Immediately I got an offer of one item, a Night Katana... Looked on the tp, worth 2.6MIL!!! I immediately accepted. The price has fallen over the last 16 hours and now I will be lucky to get 300K for it. What did I do wrong? How do I keep this from happening? And, why did the price fall so much?

probably false inflation .. the person selling it for 2.6 mil was trying to get an impossible price ..

another crazy idea : the person who offered the katana is the same person or knows the other person who's asking for 2.6 mil and you got scammed by a false price ...

you should have done more research, like look for prices elsewhere than just at that one trade. no offense, but it is your fault mostly, no one forced you to accept the trade. everyone makes mistakes, just learn from it and move on.

for instance, i just did a quick search on Night Katana and found that that source says it is 69k. then i would shop wiz as well. again, you pressed the accept trade button. junk gets offered all the time. there is a reject button for a reason. and a block as well.

This isn't a fair statement/accusation because it is extremely possible that the item was falsely inflated and she was scammed.

These item databases are often wrong; for example, the very item you searched is obviously no where near 69k. Besides, Emily clearly states that she checked prices for the item.

Scammers are going to prey on young accounts like Emily's. Trading post scams happen all the time and it is never the victims fault. They are being taken advantage of and are being tricked. That's the point.

i checked the shopwiz and the katana is unbuyable .. but on the TP someone is asking 150k for it .. such items fluctuate a lot .. but would never be 2.6 Mil .. I'm sure as a young account , Emily was "blinded by the stars" and dreams of richness .. i don't know if the others were up for trade on the post as well when she checked .. but maybe she didn't keep scrolling down ... either way ... the scammer should be reported .. she will probably not get her item back ... but the scammer will be frozen ...

you should have done more research, like look for prices elsewhere than just at that one trade. no offense, but it is your fault mostly, no one forced you to accept the trade. everyone makes mistakes, just learn from it and move on.

for instance, i just did a quick search on Night Katana and found that that source says it is 69k. then i would shop wiz as well. again, you pressed the accept trade button. junk gets offered all the time. there is a reject button for a reason. and a block as well.

Sorry to upset you, but I was looking for a reason and a way to keep it from happening, not whining, not asking for handouts. At the time I accepted it, there were 5 on the tp, the lowest being 2.4Mil and the highest being 2.8Mil. Two of them were owned by the same person. On the sw, none showed up which I expected since it is an unbuyable. I will admit, I didn't check the auction house. I feel like prices there are too unstable to use as a resource. How did you come up with 69K? Is there a way to see what the price of items should be?

it is not her fault that she accepted the trade? who's fault is it? the "scammer"? i stand by my unfair accusation, which is not an unfair accusation at all, thank you very much, live and learn is life as well as life on neopets. she says she checked the tp. and there are other places than the tp to check. people on the tp inflate everything. just take responsibility for your own actions. i've made plenty of newb mistakes on neopets, accepted a trade sort of like this one, did not price something correctly in my shop, sold a ub in my shop because i did not know it was a ub. i did these things. no one forced me to accept the trade. i did it. i made profit, but no where near what it should have been if the inflated tp prices i believed had been accurate. i did the exact same thing.

You underselling items in your shop instead of on the trading post is no where near what is happening here. That is a newbie mistake and it happens.

The biggest thing you keep forgetting is that she was tricked into thinking the price was something that it was not. She checked her bases. The scammer made it look like it was actually 2m. It was made to appear that way on purpose to take advantage of her and other users. That's against the rules and it's not her fault for accepting the trade because honest people do offer HTS items all the time. What we're saying is, this time it doesn't look like it was honest at all and it truly isn't her fault if it wasn't [honest].

If you're paying top dollar for a diamond, only to discover someone sold you a cubic zirconia - you've been scammed and that's not your fault lol

• 2 weeks later...