Having 2 of the same pets...Fair or Unfair?

xeasterbunny

Hey, everyone :laughingsmiley: ! So I just wanted to know some people's opinion; therefore do you think it's fair for someone to have 2 of the same pets??? For example do you think it's fair for someone to have 2 UC Draiks (which I'll never, ever be able to have...) or is it fair for someone to have 2 Maraquan cybunnies when others are trying so hard to have at least one? I just want to know. Personally, I might be a little jealous, but if they earned it, then why not? I should be happy for them. Do you think it's selfish in any way?? Or is it totally natural and fine? I want to know what you think. Please state whether you think it's fair or not, and then write a small paragraph explaining why. Thanks!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I saw someone once who had a flock of lennies --4 UC faerie lennies. I thought it was pretty cool, but at first, I thought 'why are you taking all the lennies?' But, I think often times people who have more of one of the same kind of pet have a cool backstory for why they are the same. I guess overall it's cool.

I'm not sure why it'd be unfair? I mean, they didn't just hold out a basket and hoped two of the same pet would land into it. They'd put thought and effort into it, why wouldn't it be fair? If that were the case, people who have millions of NP are also considered unfair by those with only a few thousand. It's a little silly - a little work and dedication is all you need to get what you really want, even if it's two UC draiks ;) I know someone with a very old account and all her pets were kept unconverted because they were all the colours that were kept by the conversion. That's not unfair, that's just someone who managed to get two draiks prior to conversion and had kept them that way.

I don't think it's unfair, either. The person who got those neopets probably worked hard for them, or got really luck at the lab ray. It all depends on what your objective in neopets is. It may seem unfair to others, who haven't yet got any cool neopets, but the person who has them didn't cheat or anything, he or she spent a lot of time and neopoints to reach his/her goals.

I think this is very much fair because pets are able to be freely created and traded by anyone. Some pets just take more patience and work than others.

For example, if for some reason I wanted to create four yellow kacheeks on my account, I could easily do so. Some people may wonder why in the world I would want four of those, but doing so is my prerogative. I doubt that anyone would say that having four yellow kacheeks is unfair.

Or if I wanted to own, say, two aubergine chias, it is completely within my rights to have them. I could devote myself to pet trading until someone trades me for my desired pets; or I could go a different route and create two chias with names of my choosing, save up for and buy the lab ray, and zap my chias until they turn aubergine. And if the lab ray turns a chia into some other species, I could spend neopoints on a morphing potion to turn it back into a chia and keep on zapping. I could do this for years, spending time and neopoints, until I got the desired results. I still doubt that anyone would complain about this situation being unfair, either.

Importantly, the same logic applies to the person who has, for example, two maraquan cybunnies. If a person's dream on Neopets is to have two maraquan cybunnies, or chocolate wockys, or alien aishas, and they have put in years of time and effort and zaps and trades and paint brushes and morphing potions and millions of neopoints to get there, well... congratulations on a job well done! :thumbsup:

If anything, the users who have achieved their dream pets, whatever they may be, can serve as a big inspiration to others. Kind of like "Well, if they can do it, so can I!" :yes:

I think it's totally fear. If a person wanted 4 UC Draiks, spent years and years earning NP, traiding etc, it's just "Go *username*!" for me. If they cheated their way to it in some way that's another case, but if the pets are all rightfully earned I see no problem. I can understand envy and jelousy of them, though ;) I can't see the point in having just the same pets, but who am I to judge.

I have no problem with it at all. I have three Lennies and I doubt that anyone cares (no UCs). If they were all UC lennies then maybe some people would think it was unfair but as has been mentioned before, the people who do have a few UCs worked for them or they had them prior to the conversion. I see nothing unfair about that.

A little jealousy is normal. I'd love a UC faerie lenny but that won't happen unless I build up another pet, trade up and keep working towads "bigger and better". Nah - I guess I don't want a UC lenny THAT much! lol..

I think it's fair...but reading how everyone else said the same thing, I'm going to say maybe for a new person it might seem unfair at first (on Neopets' part), seeing you had to be a member on the site before the whole conversion thing happened. PLUS, some pets were left unconverted while others were converted without warning...soooo... Neopet's should have given a heads up.

However, if someone was new to neopets after the conversion thing happened and they got their hands on an UC pet through talking to people and working things out, then yeah, it is fair.

Anything you work for and acquire through your own means without cheating or harming others to get to said goal is very much so fair, but it seems that is the general consensus here. Your feelings are completely normal on the topic, though. I'm sure you aren't the only one who wishes it was more spread out for players to be able to achieve their goals. At the same time, the rarity and complexity of getting these pets is partially what makes the game. These people probably set a goal and worked very hard to achieve it, or got very lucky, which could happen to anyone.

I think it's fair...but reading how everyone else said the same thing, I'm going to say maybe for a new person it might seem unfair at first (on Neopets' part), seeing you had to be a member on the site before the whole conversion thing happened. PLUS, some pets were left unconverted while others were converted without warning...soooo... Neopet's should have given a heads up.

However, if someone was new to neopets after the conversion thing happened and they got their hands on an UC pet through talking to people and working things out, then yeah, it is fair.

Wait - so TNT converted people's pets without giving them a heads up? I had no idea. Which pets were automatically converted?

Pretty much the UC pets you see today were the ones that were unconverted. Everything else was done automatically by a certain day. I remember because I only converted 1 pet from the 3 accounts I had..a few days later all were converted except my mutant hissi and desert aisha. At the time i was going less on neopets and had stopped reading the news...so if they mentioned it in the news, I didn't know about it. I remember a few years back I was searching for images of the old UC neopets and I read a similar thing that Neopets automatically changed pets because they wanted people to use the NC mall

I think it's perfectly fine; if I had it my way, I'd have 3 Eventide Krawks (not 4 because Hissi_U is here to stay haha), but I can't afford that. If you can, or trade and get all those neopets, then good for you. Show off your flock of identical pets, and maybe take over the world with them. Whatever floats your boat.

It only irks me when someone has multiples of rare/rare colored pets and acts like a stingy jerk on TP or doesn't do anything with them. Otherwise, it's fair but I don't see the point. I have half a dozen dogs and even though I love Rotties, I only have one. I like customizing and like diversity so I just wouldn't have the same pet/color combo. I have mostly Xweetoks but one of my dream pets is a woodland Uni because they're much more stunning than a woodland Xweetok for example.

I get a little snotty with UC pets simply because my original account/pets was stolen back in 2001 so I quit playing for awhile and lost the chance to get/keep UC pets. If they're going to keep them that way I'd rather someone have them that appreciates them than someone going for status but with two of the same UC pets, I think they're either being greedy/gloating or they're worried they'll fall into the wrong hands or be abandoned in a dead or frozen account. I have three UC on my wishlist but probably won't ever pursue it as there are much more devoted UC people and I'd feel like a waste.

• 1 month later...

Of course it's fair! :yes: If someone have worked hard on getting their dream pets (even if it's two of the same species and colour and on top of that they're unconverted) they deserve it! It's part of the game to slowly achieve your dream pets (if you have any) which can be extremely hard and take a lot of time and effort, but if your willing to do that, why would that be unfair to other players? I don't get how it could be unfair in any way, well, maybe they should allow us to create unconverted pets, but then again, some people work really hard on getting an impressive converted pet in order to get an unconverted one, so it's fair play. I still have to save up an insane amount of neopoints in order to achieve some of my dream pets, but I will (probably) succeed! It's part of the game... if not what would really be the point of it? I could just put up a bunch of customized pet images from Dress to Impress on my lookup and say ''Here are my dream pets! I put zero effort in playing the game and just had fun customizing''. Actually, why do I even need an account on Neopets in order to get my dream pets? No need! I could just use Photoshop or the like in order to achieve them all... . :sad01_anim:

Personally I would love to have multiples of some pet species in order to have them with different colours and customizations, but since I also am one of those ''catch 'em all'' kind of player I won't do that. I would actually need to be able to get 5 extra pet slots in order to get some of my ''not the same species'' neopets in order to at least get all of my favourite neopet species. I even wrote in the JumpStart survey that they should allow us to get more pet slots... but I suppose the possibility of them letting us get an increase in pet slots is rather... slim. Sigh... you can't imagine what a hard time I'm having deciding which pets I should create and which not. It's a nightmare! :crying_blow: I suppose I'll just end up zapping one of my pets now and then... or adopt out that stuck in the pound neopet I have an eye on and zap that one. Maybe I'll end up giving that pet away, but it would help me decide which pets I should create next... . :/

OK, that was a bit of a long post and not really a short paragraph explaining why. /sorry TL;DR My point is that it's a game, it's fair play. As long as you don't cheat or scam people in order to get them it's all fair and square. :thumbsup:

Totally fair! And it should be inspiring too, so that if you see someone with a particular pet and color that you want you can then strive to get the same for your account.

It's no secret I dream to have a Lost Desert Aisha. If someone had one main account and two sides packed to bursting with only LD Aishas, I won't pout and ask them to give me one. Nooo, I just keep playing games and saving NP and one day I'll have one of my own.

Or adopt one.

(Cross your fingers on that last one. It just may happen for me.)

It's just a thing, and in the end it doesn't matter to me if someone has my coveted pets or not. Focusing on that would take the joy of the game away from me, and I won't let something as small rob the fun of Neo. Instead, I applaud them on their effort and congratulate them for having their dream pets they worked hard on, and work hard toward my own. :) Even if it means 4 LD Aishas.

I have four aishas (actually one of them is a LD aisha, sorry officalsarahjay)?

They might not be uncommon, but I don't understand why its considered unfair to have two draiks?

The users in question the ones who saved up a lot of money or got lucky, and if you like a certain pet why not?

Guest Sabs

I think it's fair to have multiples of the same pet whether they are rare or not. It's that person's prerogative and it's not against any rules. I know people who hate on others because they have accounts full of UCs. I don't understand the point of being upset with someone else's hard work. They should concentrate on trading up or saving neopoints, if they really want a certain neopet.

• 1 month later...

I think it's totally fair, although honestly, why you would want to do that is a bit beyond me. I mean, I have 4 lovely and very diverse pets and I love that. But if you want 4 of the exact same pet with the same customization and everything, go for it! You do you, and if that makes you happy then that's super cool. I definitely wouldn't do that but if you earn it in whatever way, be it through trading, zapping, earning neopoints, or whatever else, that's the user's decision. At the end of the day, it's your pets and you should do with them what you please.

Echoing much of the above...I don't think it is 'fair' or 'unfair'...it is just user preference.

I have mostly Gelerts. Now, granted, they are not UC or anything, so most would not begrudge me.

However, even if I did have all UC pets...it would mean one of two things: I either have been around for a long time and was fortunate to already have the pets pre-conversion (and opted not to convert), or I have spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into applying for and adopting them.

Either way, I don't see how it could be deemed 'unfair'.

Luckily for me I will never have to worry about creating an application for a UC pet...I'm happy with mah 'Lerts!

:P

hmm, I'm tying to think of an argument in support of the scenario being unfair but I'm drawing a blank

I mean it's not like someone is out there hoarding every single (for example) UC faerie lenny on purpose so no one else can acquire one

I don't understand why it would be frowned upon to own 4 of the same species and color, I'm confused lol