Buying online from China: anyone?

leverhelven

Ohai there guys! So, a few months ago, a new trend started in my country: Online shopping from Chinese sites.

There are some retail sites out there, some from independent sellers, other that consist of stores per se, that are very nice, have super-duper wonderful prices, and most of the time free shipping! (even though it takes up to 2 months to arrive, lol)

I tried buying from one of the most famous one, AliExpress, and everything worked out. I got this lovely dress for only 8 dollars (that's just a model on the photo, it's not me, lol). People also say very nice things about SammyDress, ChinaBuye etc.

Best thing is, sometimes you can even find famous brand products (LEGIT ones!), since nowadays everything is "Made in China".

So I was just wondering: has anyone here ever bought from Chinese sites? What lovely acquisitions did you get? :)

I'm not a fan of supporting anything "from China." There's a big pull towards items "made in the US" for example now. We've lost/are losing a lot of jobs and the savings aren't worth it. Everyone has their items made there and there's a big problem with the factories in China stealing the item design and making it illegally themselves and selling for cheap. It's almost impossible to save your product design/patent once it's been stolen there. Sorry to be such a spoil sport but I've seen a lot of negative impact and the quality is rarely there. I've recently had a baby and am using cloth diapers and WILL NOT buy any made in China for lack of quality and lack of knowledge of what they're using. Many of their regulations are lax and who knows what chemicals they're using on the fabrics plus, they allow Walmart to cheat their employees and have the states half support them with food stamps and medicaid.

I personally prefer items made in the EU or US or Aus/Nz for better quality as I hate falling in love with something only to have it rip at the seams or disintegrate due to inferior production. Depends on why you're buying it I guess.

I want to clarify that I am not being prejudice against the country since this can/does happen in other places, including the US but the Chinese are smart in that they make/ship out cheap/inferior products but they themselves have stricter standards for their own citizens.

We (Americans) are also giant hypocrites since we throw a fit about chicken dog treats from China, but ship our (human grade) chickens over there to be defeathered/treated and shipped back to us....

The dress is cute though, but I'd think you'd have beautiful clothing where you are.

I've used a couple sites based in China or Hong Kong in the past. They've all been good to me, except now I found a new site based in Japan for all of my anime needs. I usually go with the cheapest shipping and the packages look very new and in good condition when they arrive stateside.

I've never done this, but the dress in the picture is cute so I may have to see what I can score when I have some extra cash to spend. I am a huge fan of buying local and being self-sufficient (I grow a lot of my own food and raise livestock and the works) but when it comes to clothing shopping local blows. The clothes are all the exact same, they're cheap (quality), overpriced, and I'm so over it, haha.

I bought a replacement screen for a Wii U gamepad from a Chinese site a few months ago and it arrived completely shattered. They didn't take much care in the packaging at all. I did everything I was supposed to do according to their return policy and received absolutely no answer from them, even after sending them numerous emails. Luckily I didn't spent a lot on it. Never again!

That dress is adorable! Have you ever heard of Dress Venus? From what I understand they're based in China and have the cutest stuff!

I've never bought anything from them because I worry about my package showing up. It's still fun to browse.

I'm not a fan of supporting anything "from China." There's a big pull towards items "made in the US" for example now. We've lost/are losing a lot of jobs and the savings aren't worth it. Everyone has their items made there and there's a big problem with the factories in China stealing the item design and making it illegally themselves and selling for cheap. It's almost impossible to save your product design/patent once it's been stolen there. Sorry to be such a spoil sport but I've seen a lot of negative impact and the quality is rarely there. I've recently had a baby and am using cloth diapers and WILL NOT buy any made in China for lack of quality and lack of knowledge of what they're using. Many of their regulations are lax and who knows what chemicals they're using on the fabrics plus, they allow Walmart to cheat their employees and have the states half support them with food stamps and medicaid.

I personally prefer items made in the EU or US or Aus/Nz for better quality as I hate falling in love with something only to have it rip at the seams or disintegrate due to inferior production. Depends on why you're buying it I guess.

I want to clarify that I am not being prejudice against the country since this can/does happen in other places, including the US but the Chinese are smart in that they make/ship out cheap/inferior products but they themselves have stricter standards for their own citizens.

We (Americans) are also giant hypocrites since we throw a fit about chicken dog treats from China, but ship our (human grade) chickens over there to be defeathered/treated and shipped back to us....

The dress is cute though, but I'd think you'd have beautiful clothing where you are.

I totally understand your point, but actually no, I can't have beautiful clothing here, because everything is so absurdly expensive :( The reason these Chinese sites are the latest trend 'round here is exactly the fact that prices are so low. People are tired of paying so much for things. It's getting worse with the Advent of the World Cup and the Olympics: living here in Rio is becoming so expensive I can't even... You can read a little about it here.

I am morally against buying anything made in China or South East Asia (unless certified Fair Trade and even then I avoid China). This is purely my prerogative, though. I have friends that have used AliExpress and the like and for most things, they are good.

I'm curious now. Why is that?

That dress is adorable! Have you ever heard of Dress Venus? From what I understand they're based in China and have the cutest stuff!

I've never bought anything from them because I worry about my package showing up. It's still fun to browse.

I didn't know it, just googled it. They got very beautiful stuff! But they're more expensive than the ones I've mentioned hahaha, I don't know if I'd be able to buy from them. By the way, most of the time AliExpress has got a tracking device for your package, free of charge :) It makes me less anxious :D

Leverhelven-

They really do! I've ordered clothes from the UK before that came, but from what I remember paying was a hassle. So I'm kind of hesitant to buy stuff from another country.

I'm plus-sized so Dress Venus probably wouldn't fit me, but I need this bag before my life is over...

http://www.dressvenus.com/shop-10536329.html

Shopping is a tactile experience for me... so I can't really do it online. It's also hard to see the quality of clothing through a website. And I mean how it's made when you look underneath... Is that zipper gonna last more than a day... What about the seams of the garment. I know that some websites are really open with their return policy, but that's still a hassle for me and I would hate to be disappointed by my purchase.

I also prefer to buy local (Canada, or North America) when available.

I recently bought an inverter (a piece to make my laptop screen work again) from a company in China (through Amazon). I would have gladly paid a bit more to have it not take a month and a half to get here, but the only sellers were in China.

Like Nimphal, I try to buy fair trade from certain parts of the world. Many countries' labor laws are lacking even more than the U.S.'s, and many workers have to bear with unsafe conditions, overlong hours, and insufficient pay -- some countries even allow young children to work more-than-full-time (by European/American standards) without any opportunity for education. I don't want to support sweatshops and child labor. By buying fair trade, I'm supporting a sustainable business model that doesn't take advantage of workers; it also encourages countries to increase their labor standards. (My understanding is that China is actually working on this, though they've still got a ways to go.)

That being said, in the U.S. it can be really difficult to know where your stuff comes from or who did the work for it, and you don't really have a choice for certain types of products (e.g., produce) except not buying that item. I also try to buy local when possible (so things don't have to ship as far), and I try to keep my consumption down (find a workable substitute, do without, borrow, freecycle, or buy second-hand).

When times are tough, though, you've got to do what you've got to do to survive; I know I can't always afford to be choosy. For example, I need a new computer mouse, and I can't budget more than $5-10 on it, so it will probably come from China. So I'm not trying to be judgmental of how other people spend their money; I'm just trying to explain my reasons for shopping as I try to.

Careful not to open Pandora's box there, asking me why and all :D I'll try to be succinct, but actually, I have done and am doing a ton of research in the fashion industry (and not only) and human rights and origin of things are a big passion.

So, let's start with China first. One of the reasons I don't want to buy things from there is purely political - the CCP is pure evil. I won't go into details, but as a child of a former communist country, political communism sucks, the CCP is on a whole new level. I don't want to be feeding that regime. The second reason I avoid buying things from China when I have the choice (and with technology, I simply don't have that choice) is because of the very real chance that somewhere along the line the production of said product included one or more of the following: inhumane working conditions, slavery (sweatshops), child labour, toxic environment. No, I'm not doing that, I can't.

As for South East Asia, very similar reasons as with China, but in addition to that, buildings collapse from time to time.

I should make something clear, though. I do buy clothes from South East Asia, but very carefully. I buy Fair Trade, which ensures that workers are treated and rewarded as human beings. If I like something and it is not certified Fair Trade I look at where I am buying it from. In the UK the Arcadia Group (BHS, Burton, Dorothy Perkins and a few more) have a Fashion Footprint programme. I have read the steps they take to ensure that their workers and factories are treated well and am .. satisfied. They also have a lot of factories in Europe, which I am very excited about. I would probably still not buy something from South East Asia unless Fair Trade. China is off the table completely for me when I have choice.

Buying online makes knowing where your clothes come from quite a bit trickier, because most online retailers don't sate that info on their pages, you have to buy it to know. I am working to combat that with a project that will allow people to share where their clothes are made and will hopefully create a nice database of open data about fashion.

Sorry, I tried not to make it too long, and it still came out too long....

Last time I ordered some clothes from China I discovered there are new laws in my country (apparently similar to the EU's) and I have to go to the customs and also pay some taxes. This makes the experience an awful one - I'm not even going to get started with the service here at the customs but after one try I'd never do it again if I could. Also my clothes were shipped in two shipments via two different companies - UPS and DHL. When I got back from the customs enraged and almost crying, I phoned UPS to take care of my shipment. To do so I needed to go to the customs and issue a personal code, then go to a notary and issue an authorization for the company to deal with the shipment. Twice. Then UPS delivered it to my door asking to pay additional costs almost half of the price of the clothes. I was furious. A week later DHL asked me a ton of papers and description of the clothes (how could I know?) but delivered it without having to pay anything at all. Well, I don't know, it's insane.

On the other hand in my country even low quality stuff is overpriced and usually from China. There's no use buying local, it's usually disappointing. To tell you the truth, I'd order from China if only the customs regulations weren't so discouraging. Good job done though on making people buy from EU counties...

Politics aside, I'm completely uncomfortable giving out my credit card information to most online retailers. There's only a few sites I order from with caution. Mostly just amazon (even with that I'm scared!). I'm just a very nervous person when it comes to ordering things from the web, or basically using my credit card whenever haha. I would never give out my credit card information to any company overseas. But that's just me, I may be paranoid, but I like to think better safe than sorry! :p

also I'm really into fashion! I have some pretty odd tastes though. lol I like to alter hand me downs and used clothing. It's kind of fun ^^ I'm always looking for a bargain! I will never splurge on anything unless it's something I REALLY have to have...but that happens so rarely lol. I also never buy clothing online because I need to try things on and physically see it. Sometimes I don't like the material or the fit. Each store sizes things differently too.

But that's so cool you got that for $8! I hope you get it safely (and soon!)

So, let's start with China first. One of the reasons I don't want to buy things from there is purely political - the CCP is pure evil. I won't go into details, but as a child of a former communist country, political communism sucks, the CCP is on a whole new level. I don't want to be feeding that regime. The second reason I avoid buying things from China when I have the choice (and with technology, I simply don't have that choice) is because of the very real chance that somewhere along the line the production of said product included one or more of the following: inhumane working conditions, slavery (sweatshops), child labour, toxic environment. No, I'm not doing that, I can't.

I totally understand your point. Yes, China manages to mix the worst of both political systems: oppression of freedom from said "Communism", and their absolutely savage Capitalist industry. It's indeed disturbing and I totally understand why it moves you, and why you choose not to feed it. And it was not a Pandora box, I found your point very interesting!!! :)

On the other hand in my country even low quality stuff is overpriced and usually from China. There's no use buying local, it's usually disappointing.

THIS. This is just like my country. At least buying from those sites I don't have to pay the ridiculous overprice!

But that's so cool you got that for $8! I hope you get it safely (and soon!)

It's gotten here already! Took one and a half month, I actually wore it for the first time today, it's very cute! :D

ShelleyJoy: I'm very much the same way. I have a hard to fit body type and am very picky about the materials and feel. Thrift stores are my best friend (and my wallets) because there is usually something to fit at least one part of me and my eclectic tastes. Best part is that it doesn't have to be broken in.

I totally understand your point, but actually no, I can't have beautiful clothing here, because everything is so absurdly expensive :( The reason these Chinese sites are the latest trend 'round here is exactly the fact that prices are so low. People are tired of paying so much for things. It's getting worse with the Advent of the World Cup and the Olympics: living here in Rio is becoming so expensive I can't even... You can read a little about it here.

That does sound ridiculous, much like living in New York over here or La but I imagine it's prettier where you are, with a nicer climate. The prices in that article sound like where I want to live (Seattle area) but there is no work there unless you're a software engineer. Do you not think it will go back to being more reasonable after the Olympics? That's still over two years I know, but hopefully.

That does sound ridiculous, much like living in New York over here or La but I imagine it's prettier where you are, with a nicer climate. The prices in that article sound like where I want to live (Seattle area) but there is no work there unless you're a software engineer. Do you not think it will go back to being more reasonable after the Olympics? That's still over two years I know, but hopefully.

Speaking personally, I honestly think Rio is gonna CRASH after all these events are gone. Seriously, CRASH. Crash like old US back in '29. But maybe I'm just grumpy...

I can understand a little you people who talk about difficult-to-find body types. I'm not plus size, but as sizes in China are MUCH smaller (Chinese girls are mostly short, petite and skinny) I almost feel like a plus-size while buying from those sites! :P My normal size is M, but I have to wear the Chinese XL and sometimes XXL. That is, when they DO have those sizes... (many products have size "free", which fits Chinese XS to M).

Also my hips are very large while my bosom is nearly non-existent, which is a totally common body type here in Brazil, but makes it so difficult to buy dresses anywhere else in the world. Either our bosom area fits and our hips get squished, or our hips fit and our bosom area gets ridiculously loose. Oh well. :P

Also my hips are very large while my bosom is nearly non-existent, which is a totally common body type here in Brazil, but makes it so difficult to buy dresses anywhere else in the world. Either our bosom area fits and our hips get squished, or our hips fit and our bosom area gets ridiculously loose. Oh well. :P

Oh, it's set then - I'm moving to Brazil! :rock::P

I've got the same problem but with the downside that this is not a common body type here so it's ridiculously hard to find something that fits me and makes me look well.

Oh, it's set then - I'm moving to Brazil! :rock: :P

I've got the same problem but with the downside that this is not a common body type here so it's ridiculously hard to find something that fits me and makes me look well.

Come live here then! All clothes here follow this body-type styling! :) Also, Bulgaria, heh? Our current President is a daughter of Bulgarian immigrants! :)

Come live here then! All clothes here follow this body-type styling! :) Also, Bulgaria, heh? Our current President is a daughter of Bulgarian immigrants! :)

I know, it was big on the news here when she got elected :) I hope she's doing her job well :)

I'd gladly come to live in Brazil, if only Bulgarian translators were needed there... As much as I love my job it has the downside that translating into Bulgarian is needed pretty much only in Bulgaria :laughingsmiley:

I have never bought anything from a Chinese site before. Most of the people in my family are concerned about the Chinese products due to dangerous toys for kids that were made in China that were recalled and the dog treats that made dogs sick. Also the postal service where i'm at is not very reliable it takes til 5 or later in the evening to get mail and sometimes if we are lucky it gets here around 4 PM and sometimes packages somehow get delivered at the wrong place so we don't do shopping online very much.

I REALLY try not to buy from China - but I'm a huge tech junkie and absolutely abhor going to Fry's lately. I do most, if not all of my shopping online - it's easier to price match and get the "trail" of products. I'm a huge ebay buyer, and have bought probably more items that I want to admit to, but I'm pretty much anti-indecent labor, and China fits into that category.

A lot of it too is I just don't agree with the economy behind it - one of the reasons why I will not step foot in a Wal-Mart.

I REALLY try not to buy from China - but I'm a huge tech junkie and absolutely abhor going to Fry's lately. I do most, if not all of my shopping online - it's easier to price match and get the "trail" of products. I'm a huge ebay buyer, and have bought probably more items that I want to admit to, but I'm pretty much anti-indecent labor, and China fits into that category.

A lot of it too is I just don't agree with the economy behind it - one of the reasons why I will not step foot in a Wal-Mart.

Is Wal-Mart of Chinese origin? If not, can you explain your reasons? I'm honestly curious, I hear people complaining about Wal-Mart but I never got the real reasons behind so many people boycotting it. I'd love to know! :)