Gripe about Neomail

stupidyou3

I know TNT will be fixing the site soon. but it really annoys me to no end when sending a neomail/replying to one is like walking a tightrope bridge, just one overlooked word (or sometimes 2 words that coincidentally form a swear word) can cause you to go back and check again.

It took me 20-30 minutes of figuring out my reply that the problem word was the word....."tumblr". I don't really see anything offensive about that word . So I guess I'm just hoping they'll fix the somewhat broken system soon.

Tumblr is a non-Neopets site, and mentioning any site that isn't Neopets - or an official Neopets fansite - anywhere on Neopets is prohibited.

A bit silly, yes, but there's no changing the rules.

Tumblr is a non-Neopets site, and mentioning any site that isn't Neopets - or an official Neopets fansite - anywhere on Neopets is prohibited.

A bit silly, yes, but there's no changing the rules.

Yeah it's very silly, it's like walking to a McDonald's and being banned for saying the word "KFC".

XD

It's annoying, yes, but it's not that silly. They do it to protect children on the site. They don't want people to suggest children go to untoward sites, so they just ban all sites. There's definitely some adult content on tumblr...

It's annoying, yes, but it's not that silly. They do it to protect children on the site. They don't want people to suggest children go to untoward sites, so they just ban all sites. There's definitely some adult content on tumblr...

Hmmm I guess. Then they should at least include that in the warning instead of me figuring out what's wrong with my email even though I didn't say anything in the adult language.And/or anything religious.

yeah, I hear you. I appreciate the filters-- I go to neopets to play neopets, not to chat, generally- but I wish that the neomail filters at least gave you a clue as to what was flagged. That's the most frustrating aspect. Okay, I can't say a word- fine, I'll work around that. JUST TELL ME WHAT WORD. *facepalm*

I agree, it's very difficult to figure out the filters! My favorite was when I was trying to discuss the Studded Leather Cuirass and it was blocked because of the last 3 letters. They are blocking the names of their own items. :grrr:

I totally agree. I think that we have made similar posts on this topic.

http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/42077-on-censorship-and-free-speech-in-neopets/

Don't worry. We will form a conspiracy, a coup to overthrow the totalitarian oligarchy that is TNT. Then we will create a new state with me being declared as Emperor and form an Athenian Democracy

I SAY THAT WE FORM AN UPRISING AND OVERTHROW TNT!!! We first find out their account info, lock them out, and then pass the maintenance of the site to a small group of dedicated programmers who are more liberal and forward thinking in their beliefs. Every year, we would then hold a VOTE - for all non-frozen users (It's hard to get frozen in this new Neopets) - on who becomes the new programmer (out of a batch of 100 people decided partially by Neopians and the programmers) and half are ousted and replaced (Like in the Australian Senate).

And I will be the king of this new land of Neopets, King Antino. And whoever is my right wing man will become the president/Prime Minister.

SO I SAY WE OVERTHROW THEIR AUTOCRATIC OLIGARCHY AND REPLACE IT WITH A SEMI-DEMOCRATIC CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY!!!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Also, please do not spam by posting the same thing on multiple topics and creating topics for the same.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I know that feeling. I once spent 30 mins trying to figure out why my NM was being blocked. Turns out the word grape triggered the filter. (i was trying to buy an UB with grape in the name)

Cucumber also triggers the filter. Guess they don't like food?

Encumbered and thorny also trigger the filter. I used to RP 1 on 1 over NM. I had to stop though. I was tired of accidentally triggering the filter and having to carefully comb through my NM looking for the offending word.

Cucumber, grape, basement, and skill also trigger the filter because they contain words that have been blocked by the filter.

I'd say that part of the filter needs updating. :s

Omg I totally get you! I remember once it took me such a long time to finally figure out that the prohibited word was the second part of ''amusement'' *facepalm*

This genuinely did make me lol I studied that word for a few minutes then sort of went EEK I get it lol

I have given up plenty of times on sending neomails because I just couldnt find out what on earth was wrong but looking at the examples shown here I can see why its so easy to get filtered out. It needs updating to say the least.

I also wish there was a proper sent folder, the times I have sent something and thought hang on did I mention this or that ... but I cant check what I said unless they mail me back

Amen on the sent folder! It drives me crazy not to know what I said or when I sent something, especially when my computer decides to have a tantrum and I'm not sure if it even did send. They should do something like email where you have a continuous thread, so you can see all of the prior messages on one screen instead of having to flip back and forth.

I know TNT will be fixing the site soon. but it really annoys me to no end when sending a neomail/replying to one is like walking a tightrope bridge, just one overlooked word (or sometimes 2 words that coincidentally form a swear word) can cause you to go back and check again.

It took me 20-30 minutes of figuring out my reply that the problem word was the word....."tumblr". I don't really see anything offensive about that word . So I guess I'm just hoping they'll fix the somewhat broken system soon.

What do you mean by 'fixing the site'? Have they finally announced a solution to the excessive and often incorrect filters? :laughingsmiley:

What do you mean by 'fixing the site'? Have they finally announced a solution to the excessive and often incorrect filters? :laughingsmiley:

Well they've been bought by JumpStart and they did a survey months ago, I'm guessing they will improve it soon.

I totally agree about the sent folder! I so wish we had that!

Once upon a time TDNF started compiling all of the innocent but filtered words. http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/topic/36253-neopets-anti-filter-project-need-innocent-filtered-words/

That is annoying.

In fact, I barely ever nm or visit the boards because I'm annoyed with the rules/how easy it is to get warned.

And I got warned about my signature over a year ago, which didn't break any rules, directly sent in a ticket about it, and they still haven't gotten back to me. :(

The only times I nm or enter the boards is when there's a plot or the altador cup.