Nay for not having a braces fund.

Neechan

I was looking forward to start making money towards my goal of getting braces (something I've wanted since I was a kid- my mom even took me to the ortho, got a quote, and decided I wasn't worth it) by doing clinical studies. Turns out I don't apply for like any around here because of a poorly placed cut in a sensitive area. Since the cut has been reopened several times ever since I was nine, I'm automatically disqualified. ): I was so excited to actually be making money.

The worst part is each study would get me roughly 1000-2000$, so I would have only had to do a few to afford the 5000$ braces.

Well when I say the 'area' I mean the whole KCMO area. Kansas City and all the surrounding suburbs and all that. I called a bunch of places. The only way I can get in is if I get lucky with a study that doesn't require a specific test. D:

Clinical studies really scare me. I'm sorry you've not been able to afford braces (I was lucky to never have too much of a problem to need them) but there's always other ways of making money. Although, I completely know how frustrating it can be :/ Knowing there is a possible dangerous outcome to these studies though due to your cut is a scary thought though. You can never be too careful, you wouldn't want one of these medical studies to open a can of worms.

Be safe with your decisions, no matter how much you want these braces a medical study could be a higher price to pay than the money it awards

I desperately needed braces and wasn't able to get them until I was a working adult. While it sucks about the studies, I would suggest a couple things-- no need to stick with e $5000 price sticker! Shop around, and let the ortho's you're visiting know that you're shopping around. I got mine 50%! So they're willing to work with you, as long as you're willing to try and make a deal. Second, ask if you can go on a monthly payment plan. It took me almost the length of having braces on to pay them off, but it was A LOT more doable than have the total in cash. Good luck!

Well the problem with it is that even with any sort of discount or a payment plan, I currently have NO money =P I don't work. Disability that prevents working, but healthy enough for clinical studies. That seemed like a good deal to me. They have some where you stay there like 3 days and get almost 2k! That's a lot of money for a three day study where I might just get a placebo anyway, heheh.

And the particular cut is just in a place where even if it heals up nicely, it can reopen and has consistently every few months for years. It's not infected or dangerous or anything. Just a nuisance.

You could try psychological studies. They don't pay as nicely as clinical trials/studies, but there's usually far less risk and they're easily completed. I actually had to complete a certain number of hours as a study subject for my college psych class.

Again, though, I have a disability that prevents me from actually working. (Trust me, I've tried!) I've been unfortunately mooching off of friends for, like, forever, but I thought this would be a good way to dig myself out of that whole and make improvements to my own life. Braces happened to be the first thing on my list since I have serious self esteem issues about my nasty teeth ):

I know you say you have a disability, do you get SSI/SSD? If not, you may want to look into getting it, so that you would have insurance too! And Braces might be covered. Also, if you get disability, there are usually places that help people pay for things like that, if needed. Even some dentists/orthos will do things for free (pro bono) for certain cases :)

Keep you head up and ask around, you will be surprised to see who might be out there to help!

Have you tried donating blood/plasma? You can usually get a few bucks and you can typically donate often. I know donating plasma pays more and you can do it more often than donating blood but you have to meet the same restrictions as blood (no surgeries, new tattoos/piercings, ect within the last year) and I'm pretty sure you cannot donate both within the same week.... check around and see what each clinic has as their requirements. Like someone suggested, it may take you longer to get there with smaller chunks of money but if you get on a payment plan those blood/plasma donations could cover your whole payment and maybe leave some leftovers for you to buy things you actually want!

I was rejected for SSI/SSD becaaaaause I don't have a medical record showing my disability. It kicked into high gear three years ago but we were (and still are) too poor to get it checked out by a doctor so they basically told me I didn't qualify. It was very frustrating. I suppose I should try again, but the disability itself is kind of making it impossible for me to want to.

As for blood/plasma... I know it's selfish but just the idea of parts of me being inside someone else really, really freaks me out... I'm not an organ donor either. I'm a horrible person...

I did a quick search of the area you are in.

Here are a few website I found.

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/missouri_free_dental_centers.html

http://www.modental.org/mx/hm.asp?id=cliniclist

Someone posted "UMKC dental school does ortho." and someone posted "Dental School by Truman Med Center. You have to call and keep calling until they are taking new patients. But when you get in your in for life. "

http://dentistry.umkc.edu

There is also this site that says they will help you find help. http://www.kdheks.gov/ohi/health_care_assist.htm

On the site it states: "If you are a disabled adult and lack income to pay for dental care, you can contact Donated Dental Services (DDS) at 785-276-1900 or http://nfdh.org/."

Also,

There are places that have free doctor care as well for those who do not have insurance. So you should still be able to see a doctor and start documenting your disability so that you can get on SSD/SSI. They will deny until you can prove it. If you cannot prove it, then everyone would/could say they are disabled and would be able to get SSD/SSI.

Best of luck!