Buttons not displaying in the right place

Duskitty

So I noticed that the Edit, Quote, and Multiquote buttons were not showing up in the right place on the Splat theme for me (at least in Chrome, Firefox is fine) as seen here:

(Spoiler'd for huge image)

1664d2113422901081df8026c76bee61.png

As you can see, they've... scooted themselves across the screen a little, and aren't where they are supposed to be.

I'm not sure if it's because of Chrome, or my tiny 11-inch computer's dimensions (1366 x 768), or something else, because I don't think anyone else has had this problem.

Honestly I don't remember where the buttons were located before but the location of the buttons in that photo is the same as where mine are.

We have the same problem! Although I must add that I have been affected by both that problem and a font display issue simultaneously. The fonts Google Chrome and IE uses doesn't show up as they should on any site, not just on TDN, but on Neopets and other websites too (like Tumblr and Google Search). I haven't installed any new fonts, so it can't be caused by that. I even thought it was malware, so I ran a complete scan, restored my system to an earlier point and uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome. In the end I have no idea what is causing it so now I'm stuck using Firefox since I gave up days ago. I doubted that I've been affected by a virus, but maybe I should have run a boot scan too. Hm... . Taking a better look at that screenshot, aren't your fonts different too? Here's two pictures, one of how it should look like and another of how it now looks for me when using Chrome.

(Chrome) Weird fonts and forum buttons position:

1f4w47U.jpg

(Firefox) Right fonts and forum buttons position:

5G7w5SW.jpg

Do you have the same problem on other sites too? The fonts issue and all that stuff... .

I really wonder what's causing this... .

We have the same problem! Although I must add that I have been affected by both that problem and a font display issue simultaneously. The fonts Google Chrome and IE uses doesn't show up as they should on any site, not just on TNT, but on Neopets and other websites too (like Tumblr and Google Search). I haven't installed any new fonts, so it can't be caused by that. I even thought it was malware, so I ran a complete scan, restored my system to an earlier point and uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome. In the end I have no idea what is causing it so now I'm stuck using Firefox since I gave up days ago. I doubted that I've been affected by a virus, but maybe I should have run a boot scan too. Hm... . Taking a better look at that screenshot, aren't your fonts different too? Here's two pictures, one of how it should look like and another of how it now looks for me when using Chrome.

(Chrome) Weird fonts and forum buttons position:

1f4w47U.jpg

(Firefox) Right fonts and forum buttons position:

5G7w5SW.jpg

Do you have the same problem on other sites too? The fonts issue and all that stuff... .

I really wonder what's causing this... .

I think it's Chrome, because I noticed my fonts were displaying differently at about the same time I noticed the buttons not being positioned correctly.

Blegh. Good work, Chrome.

I think it's Chrome, because I noticed my fonts were displaying differently at about the same time I noticed the buttons not being positioned correctly.

Blegh. Good work, Chrome.

Hm.... yes, it could be, but that doesn't explain why I have the same font issue when using IE. :( I never use IE, so maybe the fonts have always looked wrong there, but it is kinda suspicious that both browsers display the same errors, except Firefox. Oh well, I suppose that Firefox has earned back it's title of ''Best Browser'' for the time being (but I still miss Chrome a lot)!

Chrome recently updated and the fonts on all the websites I visit now look very different, so that browser update might be causing some of y'alls font issues. To me, it's more obvious when something is in bold, like an unread email in my inbox. The bold fonts look really weird and are taking some getting used to.

Don't know why the quote, etc. buttons are in a slightly different spot, but the main thing is that they work!

With regards to the fonts issue, if you go to chrome://flags, you can opt to disable DirectWrite and the fonts should look as they did before the Chrome update.

This of course does not solve the scooted buttons issue, which I'm having as well. But I'll let you know if I find out anything.

With regards to the fonts issue, if you go to chrome://flags, you can opt to disable DirectWrite and the fonts should look as they did before the Chrome update.

This of course does not solve the scooted buttons issue, which I'm having as well. But I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Ruto, thank you so much! I didn't even know about that Chrome feature; I had already tried checking my font settings and page encoding, but needless to say nothing of that worked. Now I'll be able to switch back to using Chrome again, maybe not when I'm browsing TDNF since the button positioning is quite annoying, but hey, at least the fonts aren't unpleasant to look at anymore! :thumbsup:

It's not Chrome's fault that the buttons are all weird!

0KRYJJO.png

As you can see, I have the same problem as you mentioned. After a bit of tinkering with the Chrome browser, I found that the problem lays with the IPB Focus site theme that you are currently using to view this website through, not Chrome.

ftu2W1K.png

Look at the bottom left corner of the web page you are reading this on, and you will find the change theme button depicted here. The IP.Board theme does not have the same problem with the misplaced buttons that the Splat theme does, so select that.

h7SE9Ym.png

This is what your pages should appear as to you after you apply my "fix" (changing the site theme you are using). Clearly, changing the site theme has "fixed" the buttons - Edit, Quote, and Multiquote are in the right places. Therefore, the problem lies with the Splat theme that we use by default. If you liked the Splat theme but can't stand the misplaced buttons, then its creator (IPBFocus) will/should know how to fix this for us. I'm too lazy to contact them.

Still, I dig this "new" theme. It's vaguely familiar... Was the site under this theme by default a couple years ago?

Props to Ruto for helping me figure this out.

The IP.Board Theme is the default theme for all Invision Power boards ;) TDNF was set to this for a while.

The issue is indeed with Chrome, I checked on Firefox and it looks fine, buttons and all. The fonts and the buttons have been wonky since the new Chrome update. Neopets also looks weird on Chrome at the moment. So it definitely isn't just you :P

I've been searching for an answer as to why some websites aren't displaying properly on Chrome, all I can guess is that the new update made it sick or something, haha. I'll try and search a bit more but currently can't find any good answer or solution for it.

It's not Chrome's fault that the buttons are all weird!

0KRYJJO.png

As you can see, I have the same problem as you mentioned. After a bit of tinkering with the Chrome browser, I found that the problem lays with the IPB Focus site theme that you are currently using to view this website through, not Chrome.

ftu2W1K.png

Look at the bottom left corner of the web page you are reading this on, and you will find the change theme button depicted here. The IP.Board theme does not have the same problem with the misplaced buttons that the Splat theme does, so select that.

h7SE9Ym.png

This is what your pages should appear as to you after you apply my "fix" (changing the site theme you are using). Clearly, changing the site theme has "fixed" the buttons - Edit, Quote, and Multiquote are in the right places. Therefore, the problem lies with the Splat theme that we use by default. If you liked the old theme and can't stand the buttons, then its creators (IPBFocus) will/should know how to fix this for us.

Still, I dig this "new" theme. It's vaguely familiar... Was the site under this theme by default a couple years ago?

It's actually Chrome's fault the buttons are in the wrong spot, since they are perfectly fine in Firefox (and other browsers AFAIK), and the buttons only appeared "scooted" after the update.

I do know how to change the theme - I prefer the Splat theme, though. I'll take scooted buttons over the bland default any day. :P

Edit: Ninja'd by Kaie.

At least just for me, the banner that the Quoting, Reporting, and Editing buttons on would be perfect if they were exactly 200 pixels wider. I tinkered around with the Inspect Element function and was able to see how that looked.

Neopets looks fine for me as well as a bunch of other sites I frequent. I'd still bet that the solution to our urgent crisis lies within the hands of IPB.

Edit:

8dmoAKq.png

See? Perfect! All of those buttons live on one banner. The original size for mine was 983px wide. This is something the site theme creators can fix more easily than Chromium contributors.