In Real Life Random Events

CRGLotte

I was out in my yard and happened to glance up, and saw a chicken in my pecan tree. None of my immediate neighbors own chickens, so I'm not sure where it came from. My dog is a confirmed sociopath when it comes to small animals, but seems to have lost that drive with age so the yard should be fairly safe. Good luck with your travels mystery chicken!

What other odd things are going with everyone?

What a fun thread!

My random event just happened to my son - While at the convenience store, the cashier behind the counter just passed out, the girls in from of my son were laughing and telling him to get up and stop joking around so they could get on with their days.... My son called 911 and had to explain to these girls that if he were joking, it's not likely he would have hit his head on the counter on the way down....

Turns out, the young man used to have this happen frequently, but not for many years now ....He's ok :)

Guest awkwardnormalcy

Dude my dog is the same way, she is a mutt (theories go that she is a boxer/hound/pit mix) and she hates small dogs, it's an adventure walking her around my apartment complex. Small dogs, cats, EVERYTHING. She's a bully.

Venus, I'm glad your son was there to help that kid! That could have been bad.

Awkward, my dog is usually ok with other dogs until it comes to food. Then she's a nightmare. We had three dogs at one point and the other two were getting thin. I watched her out the window pick up their food bowls, bring them to hers and eat everything. Then she'd take the bowls back where they belonged. Her life's goal is to be obese. When she was younger she'd go after anything that would get in the yard, but now I'll walk out and there will be cats on the porch and she'll just be lounging around with them! Getting older has made her complacent with the neighborhood cats.

EDIT: My dog is a lab/russian terrier mix.

What a fun thread!

My random event just happened to my son - While at the convenience store, the cashier behind the counter just passed out, the girls in from of my son were laughing and telling him to get up and stop joking around so they could get on with their days.... My son called 911 and had to explain to these girls that if he were joking, it's not likely he would have hit his head on the counter on the way down....

Turns out, the young man used to have this happen frequently, but not for many years now ....He's ok :)

Sounds like narcolepsy. Especially if it wasn't a seizure AND it used to happen frequently. I am glad this gentleman is ok. I am glad that your son was there and had enough wits about him to call 911. It is too bad the girls in front of him were very immature. Maybe we can give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they got nervous and just reacted very poorly. Your son has a good head on his shoulders. He is absolutely right, most people don't slam their heads on a counter top while playing a joke on someone. Secondly, feigning passing out in front of strangers, or in front of anyone for that matter, is NOT a good idea of a joke. But I will say it again, thank goodness for your son. He was a tremendous asset to this person.

i fainted one time during a basic first aid training session being given by a paramedic. my coworkers were like, uh, she fell. and at first the paramedic thought i was playing a joke on him. good thing no one else thought that.. he jumped into action pretty quickly though- bestime to faint is around emergency responders, lol.

Um yep, if you're gonna faint that would be the best time. LOL. That is odd though, the first thing people think is that the person "FELL". We had an 18 yr old student pass away during summer school this past summer. (Unfortunately- 18 is way too young- especially from what this child passed from). The call came to the nurse's office that the student "fell". Well imagine the surprise when we arrived and found the student in a "full code". Luckily most of the emergency equipment was brought to the scene, but we made a policy that from now on, the facts have to be reported accurately when the nurse is called to the scene because we did not have the AED with us. It wouldn't have made a difference in THIS case. But it might in other cases. Very sad.

I am glad you were ok though. One should NEVER fake fainting, and nobody should EVER assume that someone is.

Zealot - I'm happy you were able to catch up with your sister....Hopefully things will get back to the way they once were and you can be close again! Also, VERY glad you're ok!

My son though maybe the girls thought that was a joke because of all the crazy virtual challenges going around. My feelings are that the masses are just not educated in basic emergency response and that is tragic.

My random event came in the form of reading from my text book, for Safety, Nutrition & Health

"Booster seats should be used for children younger than age 12 unless they are more than 4 feet 9 inches tall and an adult seat best fits them correctly."

Are they insane?! 12 years old is usually 7th grade! Who in the world would want to sit in a booster seat until 7th grade?! I haven't worn one since kindergarten (and basically everyone I know), and I turned out just fine!

And 4'9"? How many adults actually use booster seats? I know people who sit on a pillow, but I don't see them looking into a booster seat.

I think the people who made these rules were all very tall.

I don't know who in their right minds would want to continue to wear a booster seat.

It looks like if they're under 4'9", they would be taking their booster seats too middle school dances.

• 4 weeks later...

My random event was waking up to a phone call from my roommate to inform me that a strange, intoxicated man had spent most of the night on our couch being terrorized by my cat. He was quite perplexed when she explained to him that no, his friend doesn't live here.

He left without taking or leaving any NP or items though. So, lame random event?