Games Master Challenge 2014 Begins!

hrtbrk

Does anyone else feel like TNT phoned it in with this year's GMC? I'm not talking about how easy the scores are, since they're usually not too difficult to get for GMC. I mean that in year's past we've had increasing number of challenges that require increasing playing time, but this year we don't. I feel like TNT realized they promised a GMC and threw together a "two-challenges-a-day" event. It might be because they're busy, but I have to say I'm disappointed.

Yes! I feel exactly like this! In years past, it's been so much more elaborate! Choosing teams, being able to repeat the game up to 5 times to earn additional prizes, a list of qualifying games! On one hand, it's nice because I'm a student and finals are approaching. But on the other, GMC is one of my favorite site events of the year,

I feel like I haven't had to devote too much time to getting the scores. In years past, some seemed like a real stretch -- and I was really proud of myself when I achieved them. This year, my biggest problems in getting scores have been not being patient enough/trying to rush the games. No stretches. They've been getting more difficult though, which is nice. I'm curious to see what tomorrow's challenges will be. Hopefully, there will be some nice trophies.

I guess that they've been busy with the switch to JumpStart. But the plots have started to feel less involved too. And I'm still bitter about the removal of Habitarium :(

Well remember too that the GMC is not the same as the Daily Dare. The GMC is basically meant to tide you over until the next daily dare.

i mixed up the scores today so i sent a lower score than needed in SMELT and i kept trying to get 1300 in wingo hahaha - my HS is 1047 !! when i figured it out i finished in less than 5 minutes .

and finally a WEARABLE ! Yay.

Today's challenges didn't take too long which is good. I did them both while holding my sleeping baby. :)

I still have Bumble Beams and Bruno to do today.

I'm getting super frustrated with SMELT. I've never played it before, is there some sort of trick to this? It doesn't seem like all the pieces fit into it. I'm not trying to make it perfect, I'm going as fast as possible, and not really rotating my pieces, but this is driving me BONKERS! lol

Well remember too that the GMC is not the same as the Daily Dare. The GMC is basically meant to tide you over until the next daily dare.

Except they canceled DD this year. I get it; the site has moved away from Flash games. And a lot of people complained the challenges were too much during a holiday when many were traveling. Then again, it seems like everything is so easily attainable with minimal effort now (like the identical logic puzzles where you could look up the answer). I'd rather they focus on fixing things and getting them up to speed for now (it's still only 2 months post-transition), but I hope the next big event is better. And that the only thing we get for this one is a trophy (and I guess NP prizes); no new site theme or avatar (though if there's an old one that's re-released, sure, give that to people). Site themes and avvies should mean something.*

I'm getting super frustrated with SMELT. I've never played it before, is there some sort of trick to this? It doesn't seem like all the pieces fit into it. I'm not trying to make it perfect, I'm going as fast as possible, and not really rotating my pieces, but this is driving me BONKERS! lol

Overlap the pieces as much as possible (when necessary -- try to not overlap, and then overlap a bit the next time through if needed). Use the SMELT button only when necessary. I found rotating actually slowed me down and gave me a lower score, so I'd save it for when you really need to squeeze all the pieces in. I bet there's a guide for later levels.

*I'm my own devil's advocate in this paragraph... sorry for the mishmash; I guess I have mixed feelings about this GMC.

Thank you, Siniri. That helped, a lot. I'm now stuck on Level 8, and I think this is the last one to get all the points I need.... ugh...

Edit: Ohh.. ok, nevermind, I just got to Level 9, and all I need is 15 points, and all the pieces in this one are HUGE. I think I'm going to cry :(

Done! Woo! I finally managed BBB last night. It took a lot of patience. I had never played SMELT until today but with help from the guide it only took me a few minutes to get the score. And I rather enjoyed it actually!

Congrats, Lilly... I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in SMELT. I don't really understand the SMELT button. I'm super frustrated. Read through the guide a million times. And all I need is 15 points. Ugh.

Did S.M.E.L.T. last night, and once I'd worked out that I didn't need to waste time clicking on the blueprints to put each new piece out (*facepalm* seriously, how stupid could I be?!), it all went rather swimmingly. Again, I'd never played that one before but found it fun. Wingoball I started last night but kept screwing up and decided just to go to bed. I've just finished it now, thank goodness! I'd never played it before either, and, seriously, if there weren't those screencaps of each level in the guide, I don't think I would have made it.

But that's my first GMC finished, and I got all my scores in on the relevant days, and I'm so pleased! Can't wait to actually have a trophy for doing something.

Except they canceled DD this year. I get it; the site has moved away from Flash games. And a lot of people complained the challenges were too much during a holiday when many were traveling. Then again, it seems like everything is so easily attainable with minimal effort now (like the identical logic puzzles where you could look up the answer). I'd rather they focus on fixing things and getting them up to speed for now (it's still only 2 months post-transition), but I hope the next big event is better. And that the only thing we get for this one is a trophy (and I guess NP prizes); no new site theme or avatar (though if there's an old one that's re-released, sure, give that to people). Site themes and avvies should mean something.*

And how does that negate anything I said? GMC has always been rather easy.

So I am wondering...is today the last day to submit for scores for the games? I cannot get a few of them and was wondering if I would have time tomorrow to finish ...Thanks in advance!

Yes it is.

Yay I got Bumble Beams finally! Just about had a fit when the site started lagging but my score sent so no need to panic! :D

Now I just have to finish Bruno and I'm confident I can do that within the next 7 hours. :)

And how does that negate anything I said? GMC has always been rather easy.

Sorry, I worded that post rather poorly. It doesn't really negate anything you said. I just remember that when TNT canceled DD this year, they promised us that they would make up for it in this year's GMC. Instead, we got the most scaled back, easy GMC thus far. So my phrasing was meant to express my frustration for TNT not following through. And then the rest of my post was me making excuses for TNT and listing other things I think they should prioritize over GMC.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we won't get DD next year, which still means this GMC is a tide over.

Still, it can be frustrating for the more competitive folks. But that's what trophies and such are for. The scores have never been trophy worthy for the games, only the event.

We'll see what happens.

(Plus you have to remember this is a site that is meant to be as accessible as possible to the majority of players. The extraordinary do get rewarded, of course. But the events have always been something that everyone can join in without feeling left out cause they can't figure something out.)

----------

I stumbled a lot with today's games but eventually managed to get them both. I totally forgot how to play SMELT. lol

I used the TDN Wingoball guide extensively and got the proper score on my third try. I even kept going and made it to the final level! Not nearly good enough for a trophy, but maybe with some practice I'll get it someday. S.M.E.L.T. took me awhile to get the hang of, but reading the guide and seeing that I didn't need to get to get them all precisely made it go a lot easier. I got all the games on the days they were released so I'm hoping the trophies are awesome :) I thought the GMC was relatively easy this year too. But I did like how the challenges got harder every day.

Day Seven: Complete!

I am so disappointed in myself for not getting each challenge accomplished on the release day. I HATE Bumble Beams. That was the only game that truly tripped me up. All of the other games I might have had to try more than once, but I would get it within half an hour. Bumble Beams took me Hours to get. *sigh* I hope I at least get something for doing all the challenges.