Where did my energy go?

Naamah D.

I'm going through a tough time right now. I sometimes get accused of being "angry" all because my voice tends to get louder at times. When my voice gets loud it can mean confusion or frustration. One of my family members is near the end and it's been having an affect on everyone in my house including me.

Often times I get accused of being materialistic. I admit that I am. The reason why I'm materialistic is that when I'm unhappy getting a cute blouse or a pair of leggings can make all the difference.

My appetite is also very messed up. I don't feel like eating and have to force myself to eat and when I do eat, I get sick shortly after. I threw up after eating Thanksgiving last night because my body just can't handle food anymore.

Does this sound like depression or just a little bump in the road that I'll eventually get over? Has anyone ever gone through this?

well , as a doctor , clinical depression has specific symptoms that should last almost all day , for 2 weeks straight , which may include most , or all of the following :

seems to me you already have a couple of those , however it's still indecisive , it's best to consult a professional :

• Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
  • Fatigue and decreased energy
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
  • Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
  • Sleeping disorders : Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
  • Irritability, restlessness
  • Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable
  • Overeating or appetite loss
  • Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
  • Thoughts of suicide

As someone that has suffered from clinical depression, I completely relate to you. Obviously, I am not a doctor, so I can't say 100% for certain, but a lot of the things you said sound very similar to what I've been going through recently too. I have been extremely irritable, had trouble sleeping and eating. I am currently taking care of my dying mother, and realized that my symptoms were leaning towards depression again. I just started seeing a therapist again last week, but I feel relieved to be working towards getting better. It just feels nice to have someone to talk to that I don't have to pretend to be 100% put together in front of. I don't know if that helps at all, but if you have any questions or want to talk or anything, let me know! :D Hope everything works out for you.

I've had severe clinical depression over half my life, so I know all the symptoms very well. You may want to speak to a counselor or to a physician about your condition because depression has many forms, and the longer it goes untreated, the worse it will be. Depression is something extremely difficult to overcome, but it is possible for some. I hope everything gets better for you, hun. Stay strong.

I'm NOT a doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but......

In May, I just lost my mom/best friend to pancreatic cancer - It was already in the late stages when it was found and we lost her within 3 months of diagnosis. As her primary caregiver, it was very hard. While I'd never had depression or anxiety previously, I started loosing hair, having difficulty sleeping, being very irritable and a host of other things. My primary doctor said that sometimes, you just need a little "push" to get you back on track and gave me a low-grade anti-depressant. After only a few weeks, I was feeling MUCH better.

Everyone is different, but seeing a doctor to rule out anything serious is a really good idea...Just my 2 cents.