Help me disable YouTube's autoplay?

Lady Lyuba

Everything is in playlists now on YouTube, view something from soebody's channel? All are a playlist now. I USED to have no trouble turning the Autoplay off (which means jumping automatically to the next video after the video you're watching ends and you don't want that). But a few months ago, it wouldn't stay off, so I had to keep turning it off each time I clicked on a new video in the playlist.

But now, Autpolay is permanent. I cannot disable it regardless of what I do, it's like the arrows aren't even there anymore, there is no option to turn it off! It now says "Repeat Playlist", whatever that means. Why did YouTube do this!? Why won't they give us a choice anymore, and how can I disable the Autoplay once and for all!? I'm so so sick of it and now I can't do a thing anymore so I'm upset over this.

Chances are this'll mean I'm going to have to download a Chrome extension or some other app I don't want to my browser to put an end to this. I just say Youtube needs to change it back to the way it was. Or maybe this was a glitch? If so I hope it is.

I use Google Chrome on an Acer laptop equipped with Windows 7.

All righty let's see what I can do for you, taking into account your desire not to use an extension. I'm not 100% about linking to extensions so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong even tho I looked for a rule.

You can go the old school method and type in chrome://chrome/settings/content like you would any other address. Once there, check the options scrolling until you hit plug-in. There's an option called 'click to play'. I'm not really sure if that's quite what you're looking for tho.

So thus we will go to the next one, tampermonkey. I don't know if you have it or want it but it's an option. Download like any chrome extension. Then you get this handy little script. You will have to refresh and everything else to take effect. It should work, it has been said to work as recently as 24-72 hours.

Beyond that, you might have to wait and see if youtube decides to change everything for this. Which, given it's not a brand new change the chances are low.

I know you say you don't want an extension, but short of that click-to-play mentioned above, I have no idea what else you imagine could solve this. If you change your mind, Magic Actions for YouTube is an extension that I have been using for years, it allows you to disable autoplay and a host of other things like repeat video, cinema mode and probably other things I haven't needed.

• 1 month later...

YouTube is now display an "Autoplay" on/off slider switch. You may have already seen it. When enabled, "a suggested video will automatically play next." Disabling it, should stop YouTube from doing so. I'm not sure if it works for playlists. Maybe this is what you are looking for? Maybe YouTube had many complaints, like yours, and they have now included a fix. Hopes this helps.