Gallery Advice? ATTENTION all IRL crafters!

pulpfreeoj

So, my main gallery (which is on my side account oddly enough) is going to be based upon all things needlework.

It started with knitting, but knitting items are so few, so I decided to expand my goals to crochet, cross-stitch, and embroidery, as well as EVERYTHING related to wool itself. The thing is that I'm sort of concerned that I might make the theme TOO broad, and end up with something unmanageable and/or a totally unreachable goal. I've had to use a lot of my own judgement when it comes to, for example, scarves that I think are probably knitted or crocheted or something instead of just regular woven cloth. And I thought about including things like Gnorbu and Cybunny grooming items to add to the conceit that this gallery goes from the process of raising the woolbearing neopets (and petpets, can't leave out baabaas) all the way to finished products.

What do you think? This "wishlist" I already have some items of and I haven't edited it to account for that yet, so at this point it's really just everything I am considering including. What makes a good gallery theme without being too broad or too narrow? I am especially curious about what other crafters think. Should I try and branch out FURTHER, including for example, some Ixi grooming items since Ixis are the closest thing on neopets to goats that bear wool/hair? The actual petpets like baabaas and vacanas? I'm just not sure how far to go here, or what would make it a cohesive and attractive gallery without restricting the number of relevant items until you might as well not have a gallery at all.

(It's also a travesty that there are so few knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, and yarn-related items on neopets, let me add. A lot of them, even the books, are completely adorable though, so I can't complain.)

Technically speaking, with crocheting, you could make plushies too and blankets...I picked up crocheting this summer, so I have been working on that a lot. It's honestly up to you however much you want...but I would probably start with what you have, and when you get close to reaching the goal, maybe start expanding then?

See, I didn't want to get too deep into the world of Plushies because then I'd probably have to start including everything that's plushie or sewn, which wouldn't be feasible, hence why the only ones present on the wishlist are the Knitted Chia and Poogle Plushies. I included sock puppets on the logic that they're made from socks and thus could easily be hand-knitted. Blankets is something I forgot about though, definitely have to look into that.

Thanks for the advice.

I would stay away from crocheting because of the plushie problem, But I think the theme is great. I did a bit too large of theme with school lockers one with a nerdy girl, a music boy, then preppy girl and i'm regretting it because it's so broad! Good luck and I have some gifts to help you get started

I would stay away from crocheting because of the plushie problem

NEVERRRR! Okay, overreaction aside, I'm assuming all plushies are NOT applicable to this gallery unless otherwise noted (we'll assume they're sewn not knit or crocheted and mass-produced and stuffed with polyfill and not wool), so that's not a problem. The amount of crochet items is actually quite small, there's like one doily on all of neopets and I think one crochet book, plus the Jimmy and Woogy egg dolls. Unless we assume some of the hats and scarves and even socks are crocheted instead of knitted, which is possible. It's funny because IRL one of my favorite things is crocheting amigurumi and neopets has like little to no crocheted toys.

Your gallery is so original! I love it.

Aw, if you decide to donate some things that would be much appreciated, but don't feel pressured to do so by any means!

I think this is a neat idea! c: There are a lot of items that can go in this theme, but from the looks of your wishlist, it will make for a diverse collection of items.

I have a couple of items from your list, and I would be happy to donate them to you if you would like.

Lia, if you wanted to donate items I would be most grateful! If you do, would you mind if I put your (user)name in a section on that petpage thanking donors? Mirandaell, do you mind if I put your name on there too or do you prefer to remain anonymous?

I appreciate the positive feedback, I wasn't sure if this idea for a gallery would be something people would like to see or if it would be too "boring". Even if it wasn't popular, though, this is mainly for my own enjoyment, to be honest :whistle: and maybe eventually to be entered in the Gallery Spotlight. Far...FAR in the future. Maybe.

Lia, if you wanted to donate items I would be most grateful! If you do, would you mind if I put your (user)name in a section on that petpage thanking donors?

Yay! Shall I donate them to your account called pulpfreeoj or to your side account where the gallery will be? And I would be totally fine with having my name on the page, thank you. c:

If you could please send it to concentratedoj (my side), that would save me from transferring it over. Once again, thanks so much!

EDIT: I have updated my wishlist so it is more up to date in terms of what I still need for the gallery (the gallery is still size like, one or two so the items won't be there yet). Just for everyone's information.

Technically speaking, with crocheting, you could make plushies too and blankets...I picked up crocheting this summer, so I have been working on that a lot. It's honestly up to you however much you want...but I would probably start with what you have, and when you get close to reaching the goal, maybe start expanding then?

These things can be knitted as well. However I think it's evident from neopets drawings they are indeed intended to be sewn and stuffed just like IRL

So I just picked this up at the Igloo Garage sale, is it something you need?

Woollen Socks Knitting Set

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

So, I know my gallery ( http://www.neopets.com/gallery/index.phtml?gu=spencerkattys ) is likely way too broad, but I kind of like it that way; It gives me a non-ending goal that I can always keep trying to get.

As far as a knitting gallery goes, I think it's an awesome idea. If you wanted, you could just incrementally add groups of items as you complete the previous groups. That way, you set an achievable goal each time, but don't limit yourself just to that.

So I just picked this up at the Igloo Garage sale, is it something you need?

Woollen Socks Knitting Set

Thank you very much but I do have that item!

If you wanted, you could just incrementally add groups of items as you complete the previous groups. That way, you set an achievable goal each time, but don't limit yourself just to that.

Oh, that's a great idea! Sort of like leaving your gallery open to expansion but not leaving it with an incomplete feeling if you're not able to add more or decide not to add more. Thanks! And I absolutely love love LOVE your gallery.

Yes, I do! And yes, I've heard of needle felting. I don't do it, because I think you mainly have to do it with slightly more expensive materials like 100% wool/mostly wool yarns, but I think it's fabulous. I have wool but I've mostly used it for unfelted clothing as gifts, or socks for myself, so far. It's my passion for these sorts of crafts that inspired this gallery. Which is what makes me wish there were more obviously knit/crocheted toys on neopets, since I love them so much.

On a slightly different note, do people usually use paintbrush clothing in their galleries, if it's applicable to the theme? I know there are ways to trade for them but I've only ever seen people trade for paintbrush clothes they actually want their pets to wear...the Christmas and Snow pet scarves really fit well, but the one paint brush item I really want in my gallery would be the Elderly Female Ogrin Ball of Yarn. Don't ask me why but I am fixated on it.