Is this Photoshopped?

leverhelven

Photoshop users/experts, please help me with my aching doubt!

An old colleague from school times - which happens to lie A LOT about everything - has been telling everybody that he went to Europe a few months ago.

The ONLY picture he posted in which he appears is the one below (all the others are just landscape pics we suspect he found on the internet).

It looks like a poorly-shopped pic for me, but some people I've asked aren't sure. Could someone tell me what you think? Thanks! :)

Here's the pic.

I feel like more of the base should be showing considering how close it appears (just based on the top tower section). There are trees surrounding it..like in this picture I googled. I just think you would be able to see more of the tower from the perspective he's taking the selfie from. But I honestly don't know. The foreground is blurry and the light source seems to be off..again no idea though haha (plus I don't know anything about smartphones and filters lol)

I know someone who I like to call a "serial liar". When I met her she told me all these stories about her life that I later found to not be true at all or have just a little bit of truth to them. It was like I got to know someone who didn't even exist. I know understand she had deep insecurities and I think she's trying to find out who she is herself. She's changed a lot since then though...at least I'm not hearing any more crazy tales :p

Maybe he did go to Europe, maybe not. Maybe he's just lying because he's insecure. I found my friend lied about a lot of things that impressed me to make me like her more.

I'm no expert at Instagram, but I do know there are effects you can use to defocus the picture like that to achieve a "vintage" look. However, you can tell instantly that's not a selfie. Both his arms are at his side, so how is he supposed to snap a selfie? Also, Instagram only works on smartphones. You can see how his picture is blurry. He has dressed in a simple manner and covered his face with shadow. This removes the detail, so it's easier to Photoshop. But this would still make sense if the trees and the Eiffel Tower were blurry, but they aren't, showing that the camera has not focused on anything, so either this is Photoshop, the worst selfie ever taken or he has a under 500 kilopixel camera, which is sad. I believe it's the former.

If I take perspective into account, especially when looking at the lines from the Eiffel tower and the direction of the trees, boy wonder looks like he's standing under a really weird angle at the very least. Oh, and he must be standing on a hill considering that not only is the base not visible, but most of the second segment isn't either. For it to be that close yet have those parts not visible, he must be standing significantly higher than the height the Eiffel tower's starting at.

Light direction also doesn't seem to completely match with the light/shadows on him, but that could be accounted for by trees outside view.

He openly admits to using a filter, though. Which is probably a way of throwing people off from claiming it's shopped.

Considering the area around the Eiffel Tower, I highly doubt he was ever there.

You could always ask for airfare proof tho I guess? ;p

Wow, thanks guys! All my arguments were on the basis of "OMG LOOK AT THAT FAKENESS" so its always nice to hear the specifics.

Yes he has many problems with lying, but when we confront him (or even try to ask for more information) he tries to turn the tables and place the blame on us, saying "WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME???! I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!!" and such, so it's impossible to have a decent conversation with him when it comes to all these tales he tells...

• 2 weeks later...

investigation:

It looks like the way hes leaning could mean he was standing next to someone and had them cropped out?

the eiffel tower is HUGE.

eiffel-tower.jpg

it looks like he is standing very close to it, but also very high up. NOt sure if those are trees or bushes, but as you can see there is no place around the area to be high up and that close with trees or shrubs around.

me-in-front-of-favorite-monument-in-euro

here is some random close photo i found on google of the eiffel tower. Again. Huge. This lady would need to be on a magic carpet to reach the part of the tower from which he took his photo.

but then i found this: Paris+Rome+103.JPGlooks pretty similar to your friends pic.

So idk what to think.

investigation:

It looks like the way hes leaning could mean he was standing next to someone and had them cropped out?

the eiffel tower is HUGE.

eiffel-tower.jpg

it looks like he is standing very close to it, but also very high up. NOt sure if those are trees or bushes, but as you can see there is no place around the area to be high up and that close with trees or shrubs around.

me-in-front-of-favorite-monument-in-euro

here is some random close photo i found on google of the eiffel tower. Again. Huge. This lady would need to be on a magic carpet to reach the part of the tower from which he took his photo.

but then i found this: Paris+Rome+103.JPGlooks pretty similar to your friends pic.

So idk what to think.

To me, the second photo here, of the woman standing directly in front of the tower looks photoshopped. If you look at all of the people around the tower compared to her, she looks like a giant. Yes, I understand this is a close up but she looks like she is as tall as the bottom arch of the tower. Even considering angles, and that it is a close up, she should still appear quite a bit smaller than the tower and in relative proximity to the size of the other people in the photo. This photo looks like a fake to me. In fact, they ALL look fake, including the OP's friend's photo. Having a photo in front of the Eiffel Tower, I would think he would want to stand more centered in front of it, not off to the side.

In the second one, the tower looks... a little warped? I guess is the word? I've never been to the Eiffel Tower (I was in France but it was not a priority to go to Paris) so it could be naturally warped and I wouldn't know. lol

Guest JussttBre

My own opinion, I don't know how I feel about the lighting.

The light source hitting the bush seems to be coming from the right side and the shadow is on the left of the picture, but on his face and shirt the light source seems to be coming from the left side and causing shadows on the right.

At the same time, I don't know exactly where the light source is in the picture because certain angles or objects can adjust it, but I don't feel it looks right.

It is photoshopped if you have not found your answer yet, the border/edges are darker, seems like he played with the contrast a bit. Do I think the background and the guy are connected? Hard to tell because of light distortion and bending when hitting objects but if you see his right shoulder it is a bit lighter but I think this could potentially be normal even though I think it should be more lighter. There seems to be an artifact next to his right ear (a big white block) might be his hat but this coloration seems odd. Also I'm not sure what is in front of him to cause the shadow would seem like a tree because of the light on his chin.

PS. I'm not a professional in photoshopping but these are some infrences I've noticed that could potentially help you find an answer..

• 1 month later...

It is photoshopped if you have not found your answer yet, the border/edges are darker, seems like he played with the contrast a bit. Do I think the background and the guy are connected? Hard to tell because of light distortion and bending when hitting objects but if you see his right shoulder it is a bit lighter but I think this could potentially be normal even though I think it should be more lighter. There seems to be an artifact next to his right ear (a big white block) might be his hat but this coloration seems odd. Also I'm not sure what is in front of him to cause the shadow would seem like a tree because of the light on his chin.

PS. I'm not a professional in photoshopping but these are some infrences I've noticed that could potentially help you find an answer..

I know this topic is old, but her new London pictures and our conversation about these pictures got me to revisit them. Anyway, I read your post and it is interesting but I thought I would answer you question regarding the the "big white block" over his right ear. That is indeed the adjustable strap to his hat. LOL

My own opinion, I don't know how I feel about the lighting.

The light source hitting the bush seems to be coming from the right side and the shadow is on the left of the picture, but on his face and shirt the light source seems to be coming from the left side and causing shadows on the right.

At the same time, I don't know exactly where the light source is in the picture because certain angles or objects can adjust it, but I don't feel it looks right.

I was looking at the same thing. The way the sun is coming in from the right and the shadow is on the left, however on him, the light source is coming in from the left. You can see the shadow from the arm of his glasses. That side of his face should be all shadow.