Upcoming Downtime: Jan 15th

Ruto

As mentioned on today's New Features, TNT is expecting to take down the site at some point this week in order to work on the problems causing the site's lag. They have not yet set a specific date, but we will be sure to let you know when they do.

Hello! We wanted to give an update on the site lag and some downtime that will be coming up this week. We think we have uncovered where the root of the site lag is coming from and have a plan set out to implement some fixes. In the next week or so we will be updating our site servers and optimizing our databases. We just wanted to give you a head's up -- so if you see the site acting strange in the next week, it probably is because of us. We are expecting to have some significant site downtime sometime this week but will update everyone with more info, as we have it. Hopefully by next week we can celebrate when Neopets.com is running normally again! (We will cross our fingers until then...) As always, we thank you so much for your patience. We really hope that we can finally get these lag issues fixed so that we can focus on getting you fresh content for the future. Thanks again, everyone!

UPDATE 1/12 3:15 PM NST: The Auction House is currently unavailable.

UPDATE 1/13 5:58 PM NST: TNT has announced that the site will be taken down on Thursday, January 15th at 9 PM NST. They expect to have it back up at approximately 9 AM on the 16th.

I'm glad to see they're now more seriously acknowledging the lag.

"Hopefully by next week we can celebrate when Neopets.com is running normally again! [...] We really hope that we can finally get these lag issues fixed [...]" gives off a bit of a different vibe from "We know it has been quite a frustrating experience for a number of you, dealing with increased load times between pages recently!" which seemed (at least in my opinion) to more-or-less insinuate that it was only a small portion of the userbase dealing with issues and that the lag could be sufficiently described as "some increased load times".

EDIT: And of course, I hope the fix will be successful. =)

I'm really glad that they're fixing it!! It's really great news to hear. :D I was really starting to get impatient when it comes to the issues we've been experiencing.

I'm glad they've finally decided to take the site down for a bit to work on it properly - granted I know they probably wanted to identify some potential problem areas before doing so, but I'm pleased to hear there could be an end in sight here :)

Glad that we're given a heads up!

Well, it's also nice to get an update.

I don't know much about the technical aspects but I feel that the lag has sort of worsened.

It's not just pages taking forever to load. There has been a delayed response for things happening like the event notifications.

The NM is already in my inbox but it takes a while for the event notification to show up. If I receive multiple messages, it takes even longer.

I end up manually refreshing my inbox page.

I'm not ranting; I'm just getting worried the problem may be getting more serious (which I really hope not).

Just glad they're fixing it.

Go TNT!

This has been a long bumpy ride, having gone through so much, you can deal with this *thumbs up*

As for the lag, I just open up other tabs & read fanfic & fangirl for a bit :D

I am just stoked that they are now discussing the matter in a direct manner.

It has felt like duck and weave when it comes to the LAG (vague mentions of 'problems' that they are 'working on' and that 'they will let us know more when they can' sort of communications)

Props where props are due...and they deserve 'em for being direct and posting it in the News (not just offsite on social media)

I definitely have my fingers crossed (but don't reckon I'll be holding my breath)

I DO hope that bringing back Keyquest is on the top of their lists (behind fixing the Lag!)

:P

I wonder if its like last time they had a downtime. :D

Hush, you. :P (But seriously, you're dashing cold water on everyone's hopes, including TNT's. Especially since they thought they had the lag pinned down before the last downtime, but that just made it worse... Please, please, let them have defeated Terask II this time!)

I DO hope that bringing back Keyquest is on the top of their lists (behind fixing the Lag!)

I hope so, but... They did just recently remove the link to KQ along with the Habitarium link. :( Hopefully that was just to decrease the tickets about it, not because they actually meant to remove it permanently.

It's great they're going to try to fix things but I really hope the downtime isn't on the 14th! I've been waiting all year to get that dr. sloth avatar!

Oh man, me too! I've been watching the calendar like mad for these avatars, don't want to wait a whole year for this!

I hope so, but... They did just recently remove the link to KQ along with the Habitarium link. :( Hopefully that was just to decrease the tickets about it, not because they actually meant to remove it permanently.

Yah, that does concern me. When it happened I had a bit of a mini-panic...then someone pointed out that, unlike Habi, Keyquest is a source of REAL income for TNT. SOOOO many people have purchased Tokens AND the tokens are still for sale in the NCMall.

I'm inclined to believe that if they intended to remove the game in full they'd not be so craven as to continue selling the tokens without informing US of the intent to kill the game. I've had my problems with TNT over the years...but I've never thought them out and out shady.

Guess we will find out sooner or later...hopefully sooner!

Yah, that does concern me. When it happened I had a bit of a mini-panic...then someone pointed out that, unlike Habi, Keyquest is a source of REAL income for TNT. SOOOO many people have purchased Tokens AND the tokens are still for sale in the NCMall.

I'm inclined to believe that if they intended to remove the game in full they'd not be so craven as to continue selling the tokens without informing US of the intent to kill the game. I've had my problems with TNT over the years...but I've never thought them out and out shady.

Guess we will find out sooner or later...hopefully sooner!

That, and Keyquest can still be reached from the link to one's keyquest tokens on one's userlookup. But yeah, unless TNT likes setting themselves up for a lot of troubles, including a fair number of refunds and potentially legal issues, then the first thing they'd be doing when looking to remove KQ would be to remove the tokens from the Mall. Could be done under the pretension "temporarily halting sales until KQ is back up" if they didn't want to come out and say it, but if they're step-by-step removing KQ, the part that has real-life money and possible legal consequences attached would(should) be the first part to go.

Oh, they monetized Habitarium, too -- you could pay real money to paint P3s that would die within a week. And people did. Still, it was a database hog compared to KQ, and it was broken and unfixable. KQ might have been broken for a long time, but at least TNT has access to the code. Hopefully when they bring it back, it will be improved (or at least less glitchy).

The downtime date has been set for January 15th at 9 PM, lasting about 12 hours. The first post has been updated with the information.