Neopets Down: Jan 15th 9PM NST - Jan 16th 9AM NST

hrtbrk

No significant changes in regards to lag pre- versus post-downtime for me so far. Still going back and forth between pages loading at normal-ish speed with the very occasional immediately-loading page on the one hand, and heavy to ridiculously severe lag on the other hand. Already have had a page time out on me and I've been back for less than an hour so far.

Average pageloading speed during light to moderate lag seems to be a few seconds. Average pageloading speed during heavy to incredibly severe lag still is well upwards of a minute.

EDIT:

Times of sending scores do look to be somewhat improved, though, at least a good part of the time.

Past six scores I sent took respectively 1m03s, 12s, 31s, 4s, 22s and 13s.

(Yes, I timed them. :P)

EDIT2: Next bunch: 2m02s, 19s, 7s, 8s, 6s, 12s.

Still running into the lagging-Neopoints issue from time to time. Might be my perception but seems to occur slightly less often and is caught up slightly faster now.

The site STINKS right now, I can't even log on!

Sorry for the rant (I also ranted on another topic related to this, LOL), I'm just upset...I have not even done my dailies yet! >_<

They weren't taking it offline to fix ALL of the glitches, though. Just that they hoped the back end stuff they had to do would help combat the lag. They never promised any guarantee or anything like that.

The old outdated code must be a pain in the behind to try and update/diagnose and I don't want to be in their shoes for ONE second.

But I do commend them for continually trying the best they can, even with an entire user base breathing fire down their necks for the lack of instantaneous fixes (which don't exist when it comes to these things).

They weren't taking it offline to fix ALL of the glitches, though. Just that they hoped the back end stuff they had to do would help combat the lag. They never promised any guarantee or anything like that.

The old outdated code must be a pain in the behind to try and update/diagnose and I don't want to be in their shoes for ONE second.

But I do commend them for continually trying the best they can, even with an entire user base breathing fire down their necks for the lack of instantaneous fixes (which don't exist when it comes to these things).

True, glad they're attempting to do the best they can. Now that they're actually openly admitting to and acknowledging the issues, I know I have gained a lot more patience with it. Then again, for me it never was about instant fixes, but about the prospect of getting things fixed at all--and acknowledging the issues was a huge step in that.

A step that finally makes me feel that they realize how bad the problems are/were and how frustrating things become as a result. A step that shows me they are committed to resolving the issues and to keeping us at least somewhat informed in what we can expect for the time being.

It's a lot easier to be patient when you know that they're trying; that they are working on things no matter how slow progress may be.

Sure, they may have been working on things before, but when things merely keep getting worse and worse and they don't say a single thing about the many issues, it's a lot easier to start wondering "do they even realize how impossible this is for us? Are they even working on making things better?" than when they are upfront and basically say "this lag is bad, we know. We're working on it. We can't promise when exactly it will be done, but we're trying our best. As a result, the site will be down then-and-then for maintenance."

True, glad they're attempting to do the best they can. Now that they're actually openly admitting to and acknowledging the issues, I know I have gained a lot more patience with it. Then again, for me it never was about instant fixes, but about the prospect of getting things fixed at all--and acknowledging the issues was a huge step in that.

A step that finally makes me feel that they realize how bad the problems are/were and how frustrating things become as a result. A step that shows me they are committed to resolving the issues and to keeping us at least somewhat informed in what we can expect for the time being.

It's a lot easier to be patient when you know that they're trying; that they are working on things no matter how slow progress may be.

Sure, they may have been working on things before, but when things merely keep getting worse and worse and they don't say a single thing about the many issues, it's a lot easier to start wondering "do they even realize how impossible this is for us? Are they even working on making things better?" than when they are upfront and basically say "this lag is bad, we know. We're working on it. We can't promise when exactly it will be done, but we're trying our best. As a result, the site will be down then-and-then for maintenance."

I agree. I'm not one of the people on their FB screeching to fix everything, and I am so very, very glad they've admitted there is a problem. I'd like it if they could say what they've done and what they will be working on etc - if nothing else, it stops us complaining that they haven't done this or that yet.

Well some of the lag has gone away but not a lot of it. It was easy enough for me not to want to get on the site for a while because I was sleeping thru the downtime. lol

TNT still needs to work on its transparency tho.

Well some of the lag has gone away but not a lot of it. It was easy enough for me not to want to get on the site for a while because I was sleeping thru the downtime. lol

TNT still needs to work on its transparency tho.

(Emphasis mine)

Very true, but what they've been doing in the past week or so definitely is some sizeable progress. Let's hope that they've learnt from it so that next time it doesn't take them 3.5 months to properly acknowledge the issues.

As to the lag, I'm seeing improvement in some specific areas--NP is still lagging behind from time to time but less often and catching up faster and the majority of gamescores seem to get through a fair bit faster, though there still is the occasional "server issues" case and every now and then a score that takes 1-2 minutes or more to get through.

The lag is still hindering in playing the flashgames from time to time, however, and page loading times are still highly variable between the occasional rapid load on the one hand and loads taking upwards of three minutes on the other.

Certain specific pages seem to now be loading faster than before--I'm not getting nearly as many "meepits, yo" messages on the Game Room, and going from selecting a BD opponent to the battle itself has improved a bit. It's still slow, but it no longer takes me two minutes. Getting from the battle screen to actually being able to select weapons now takes a few seconds most of the battles, not a minute or more. Moves still are sent slowly, though. Using the "play again" button after a fight now gets me to that new fight in 10-35 seconds, not two minutes.

On the other hand, anything dealing with the shop/inventory side of things seems to be as slow as before. My shop still takes anywhere between 15s and 2m05s to load. Shop wizard searches are still slow.

The ratio of lag site-wide seems to have slightly moved towards the better end of the spectrum but not by much.

Still, it's some improvement. I now don't have to wait 20 minutes for my cash on hand to catch up after playing a game. I also don't have to spend five minutes to get all three "plays" of Fashion Fever done.

Sure, it's not exactly fixed yet, but then again, with the sheer amount of ongoing issues and the severity of the lag, I would have been really surprised if it was.

Is it me or anybody else, but when I posted something in guild my special font is characters? or did happen a while ago, sorry I've been working like a mad women this is my only day off in about 3 months. But has this happened to anybody else?

Yup.

it turned a lot of things to question marks, which was really annoying since I'm not the best with code and I had to do impromptu surgery on it.

(Emphasis mine)

Very true, but what they've been doing in the past week or so definitely is some sizeable progress. Let's hope that they've learnt from it so that next time it doesn't take them 3.5 months to properly acknowledge the issues.

As to the lag, I'm seeing improvement in some specific areas--NP is still lagging behind from time to time but less often and catching up faster and the majority of gamescores seem to get through a fair bit faster, though there still is the occasional "server issues" case and every now and then a score that takes 1-2 minutes or more to get through.

The lag is still hindering in playing the flashgames from time to time, however, and page loading times are still highly variable between the occasional rapid load on the one hand and loads taking upwards of three minutes on the other.

Certain specific pages seem to now be loading faster than before--I'm not getting nearly as many "meepits, yo" messages on the Game Room, and going from selecting a BD opponent to the battle itself has improved a bit. It's still slow, but it no longer takes me two minutes. Getting from the battle screen to actually being able to select weapons now takes a few seconds most of the battles, not a minute or more. Moves still are sent slowly, though. Using the "play again" button after a fight now gets me to that new fight in 10-35 seconds, not two minutes.

On the other hand, anything dealing with the shop/inventory side of things seems to be as slow as before. My shop still takes anywhere between 15s and 2m05s to load. Shop wizard searches are still slow.

The ratio of lag site-wide seems to have slightly moved towards the better end of the spectrum but not by much.

Still, it's some improvement. I now don't have to wait 20 minutes for my cash on hand to catch up after playing a game. I also don't have to spend five minutes to get all three "plays" of Fashion Fever done.

Sure, it's not exactly fixed yet, but then again, with the sheer amount of ongoing issues and the severity of the lag, I would have been really surprised if it was.

Very much agreed. I mean honestly I'd be less perturbed if they would recognize the problems sooner. :| But eh it's whatever. I'll probably end up making an account on Flight Rising in the meantime (once registration opens again) so I have some 'pet site' to fall back on (the others I've been exposed to just weren't my thing).

Very much agreed. I mean honestly I'd be less perturbed if they would recognize the problems sooner. :| But eh it's whatever. I'll probably end up making an account on Flight Rising in the meantime (once registration opens again) so I have some 'pet site' to fall back on (the others I've been exposed to just weren't my thing).

I think that's what annoys me the most about TNT: the refusal to admit anything is wrong.

Like when the duping thing was going on. Nothing was said about it. Not a single word. It would have been so easy to say 'hey, there's a problem. We're doing our best to fix it'. But they didn't. What did they do instead? Delete boards warning people about it.

TNT, you are made up of people. Not ostriches.

If there is a problem, please admit it. Own up to it, so you can tackle it head on and move forward.

Exactly. Hence my earlier remarks about transparency and everything else. I get it isn't easy to fix the issues but it gets to be a lot easier on us if someone, anyone, from TNT admits there are ongoing issues. If I know what's going on, it's a lot easier for me to just nod and feel less annoyed about it. But feeling like our complaints are being ignored and TNT is sticking their fingers in their ears going la la la makes it harder to just push thru the problems until they're finally fixed. A good number of us aren't little kids anymore. We understand what's going on. It's not that hard to explain. :|

I just found out that you cannot make a new account, haha, even f you try the suggested names, it keeps telling the name is unavailable :P

Sounds like an issue you should put in this post too. (Which reminds me, mods do you think we should combine all these threads or do we not do that here?)