Neopets Down For Maintenance Again TONIGHT!

hrtbrk

Good. I still haven't even been able to do my dailies today because the lag is back even worse than before. I've only managed to get the site to load at all just 2 times today. Hopefully this will improve things, however doubtful I may be.

Neopets will be taken offline once again tonight started at 8:30 NST until sometime tomorrow (January 26th). The downtime comes after increased lag (and glitches) over the weekend.

We will keep you updated.

Hrtbrk, thanks for posting this update. I hadn't looked at any of their updates and was curious if you found it on News, or Facebook or twitter?

I was able to get into the NC Mall but I'm not finished there yet. Hopefully I can hurry and also battle and do a few dailies.

Hrtbrk, thanks for posting this update. I hadn't looked at any of their updates and was curious if you found it on News, or Facebook or twitter?

I was able to get into the NC Mall but I'm not finished there yet. Hopefully I can hurry and also battle and do a few dailies.

They posted their update on all three sources (Twitter, Facebook and the neoboards).

I am like 99% certain I predicted that the site would get worse again when people realized the lag had apparently been fixed. lol

I hope they do manage to fix it again this time.

i'm going to try to buy the nc mall items I have just in case they don't extend the sale. I should have 150 nc left over in case they do something nc mall wise when the maintenance and stuff is over.

Very necessary. I hope it works this time. (For more than half a day, anyway...) Although this may mean I can't place FC bets tomorrow, which may or may not matter for a trophy run, if I can ever see today's results...

I feel like this month of premium should be refunded, or next month free or something. I know theyre right at the brink of getting things back to normal, but I feel like theyre seriously jumping the gun way too much and its driving people nuts. -_-

I feel like this month of premium should be refunded, or next month free or something. I know theyre right at the brink of getting things back to normal, but I feel like theyre seriously jumping the gun way too much and its driving people nuts. -_-

I hope you're right! My premium expired today - just as I was trying to get pages to load. It was very frustrating!

I think there's something in the conditions that says there are no refunds under any circumstances, but I could be wrong. They might treat it like many companies do and consider downtime on their end to be downtime on YOUR end which puts the responsibility onto you not them.

Or they might figure they need to do SOMETHING for premium members in order not to lose not only members but customers.

I feel like they need to stop taking the site down... because every single time they do it just gets worse! They seemed to be better at fixing things when the site is up. Probably because they have a ton of free beta-testers. I can't even remember what day it was but the site was up and all of a sudden it was like ZOOOOOOOM! Lightening fast paced after it had been super slow and I was like WOO HOO THEY FIXED IT. And then they issued those prizes and it all fell apart it seems. I haven't been able to get on all weekend and the weekend is the only time I can play neopets full time. I specifically bought premium because I was like "ok SSW is better for kadding, the extra BD opponents and scratchcards bring in more NP, totally worth it." Now I cannot even get on or if I do I cannot do any more than load the homepage and try to log in. I give up for right now but I'm not happy about it.

Plus it's really frustrating when people belittle you for complaing or say "think you can do better, go apply." I have every right to complain about something I pay for not working. When you buy a DVD player from somewhere and it doesn't work you don't simply shrug it off and say "oh well they tried." No, you take it back and ask for a refund or a working replacement and no one picks a fight with you about it while you're in the customer service line. Also, if I could do better than the current coders I would go and apply because I'd get paid to be on a website I would be on anyways. That sounds like a good deal to me!

.... with all the glitches & lag, I think I'll just go and sleep it off.

Or watch some movies. 'tis the Oscar season afterall :D

I feel like they need to stop taking the site down... because every single time they do it just gets worse! They seemed to be better at fixing things when the site is up. Probably because they have a ton of free beta-testers. I can't even remember what day it was but the site was up and all of a sudden it was like ZOOOOOOOM! Lightening fast paced after it had been super slow and I was like WOO HOO THEY FIXED IT. And then they issued those prizes and it all fell apart it seems. I haven't been able to get on all weekend and the weekend is the only time I can play neopets full time. I specifically bought premium because I was like "ok SSW is better for kadding, the extra BD opponents and scratchcards bring in more NP, totally worth it." Now I cannot even get on or if I do I cannot do any more than load the homepage and try to log in. I give up for right now but I'm not happy about it.

Plus it's really frustrating when people belittle you for complaing or say "think you can do better, go apply." I have every right to complain about something I pay for not working. When you buy a DVD player from somewhere and it doesn't work you don't simply shrug it off and say "oh well they tried." No, you take it back and ask for a refund or a working replacement and no one picks a fight with you about it while you're in the customer service line. Also, if I could do better than the current coders I would go and apply because I'd get paid to be on a website I would be on anyways. That sounds like a good deal to me!

It got faster because people were giving up on being on the site. It also got faster because they took the site down for maintenance before. It got slower because people rushed to the site when they heard there were prizes just for putting up with the lag. It got faster at points during the day because people were giving up. Then again it got around that the site was faster for a little so people crowded.

Also you can't really keep the site live when you're trying to fix a server issue. It gives false reads and everything else.

It got faster because people were giving up on being on the site. It also got faster because they took the site down for maintenance before. It got slower because people rushed to the site when they heard there were prizes just for putting up with the lag. It got faster at points during the day because people were giving up. Then again it got around that the site was faster for a little so people crowded.

Also you can't really keep the site live when you're trying to fix a server issue. It gives false reads and everything else.

That's one part of the issue, in any case--the traffic. However, if I look at the sheer number and types of glitches that soon followed (double or triple granting of prizes; not granting NC prize; double-granting NC prize; high numbers of scores well within normal ranges for both height and speed being pulled for review; pets getting disconnected from accounts; people being unable to see the site while logged in and a fair few other glitches), there definitely was more to the issue than just traffic. Since the glitches were new at that point, also more to the issue than just the traffic and the already existing server issues, most likely.

You're completely right that many server issues can't be fixed while the site is live. (Some can, some are harder to fix when the site is down--or at least, harder to predict if fixed when the site's down because there needs to be normal levels of traffic to test, but server migrations and other stuff like this really can't be done with the site up.)

Attention Neopia: we are currently looking into recent reports of lag and increased load times from this past weekend! While we saw some improvement last week to page load times, overall site performance has been slow through the weekend (So sorry about that!). As a result, our tech team will be bringing the site offline, once more, for further updates.

Please be aware and be sure to notify your fellow Neopians - Neopets.com will be unavailable, starting later TODAY (01/25/15) at around 8:30PM PST through Monday (1/26/15). Once we are back up and online_ you can expect an update direct from TNT. For all the latest information, while the site is offline, head to our official Facebook and Twitter pages. Thanks AGAIN for bearing with us as we work on improving everyone's experience here at Neopets!

I find the wording of the scheduled time odd:

Neopets.com will be unavailable, starting later TODAY (01/25/15) at around 8:30PM PST through Monday (1/26/15)

Do they really mean THROUGH Monday? As in, all day Monday and not back online until Tuesday? /confuzzled

However long it is...I really (really really really) hope they get the bugs squished once and for all.

I'm crossing my fingers (but I'm not holding my breath)...

Cheers!

:P

I don't know, all I have to say is, I am not happy that it is being done during the obelisk when I finally had the chance to get the avie I have needed for long. I don't have enough fights in because my dog died and I have been dealing with her surgery, having to put her down during the surgery, going back to the vet to retrieve her body, trying to bury her in frozen ground with 6 inches of snow on top of it, all while trying to get my battles in at night only to come on to find the site down, earlier and earlier every time. They really should do THIS obelisk again, it is not fair.

Aw rntracy1, I'm so sorry about your dog. That's super awful. Sending lots of hugs your way! <3

I don't know, all I have to say is, I am not happy that it is being done during the obelisk when I finally had the chance to get the avie I have needed for long. I don't have enough fights in because my dog died and I have been dealing with her surgery, having to put her down during the surgery, going back to the vet to retrieve her body, trying to bury her in frozen ground with 6 inches of snow on top of it, all while trying to get my battles in at night only to come on to find the site down, earlier and earlier every time. They really should do THIS obelisk again, it is not fair.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the on/off maintenance. It's one thing to completely take the site offline for a week and just fix everything at once (which I'd prefer to this... kerfluffle... I'm trying not to use a stronger word) than this speed-up and lag thing. I spent five hours trying to do my dailies before I gave up and just went to read a book.

Tracy, my sympathies to you over the loss of your dear dog. The real sadness and stress over your dog's illness, surgery, death and concerns afterwards would be difficult for anyone. Please be sure to take time for yourself to grieve and heal. Thoughts and prayers for you.

6TBqmJU.jpg?1

That's one part of the issue, in any case--the traffic. However, if I look at the sheer number and types of glitches that soon followed (double or triple granting of prizes; not granting NC prize; double-granting NC prize; high numbers of scores well within normal ranges for both height and speed being pulled for review; pets getting disconnected from accounts; people being unable to see the site while logged in and a fair few other glitches), there definitely was more to the issue than just traffic. Since the glitches were new at that point, also more to the issue than just the traffic and the already existing server issues, most likely.

You're completely right that many server issues can't be fixed while the site is live. (Some can, some are harder to fix when the site is down--or at least, harder to predict if fixed when the site's down because there needs to be normal levels of traffic to test, but server migrations and other stuff like this really can't be done with the site up.)

Working tech support as well as having been in charge or at least moderating a fair few sites tends to help in understanding the issues that sites like Neopets have from time to time.

As for the glitches with the prizes, 99 glitches in the code and all applies. The fact that they came up with those items in such a short span of time tho is fascinating.

I mean, it's not going to be like this forever. It'll just take time for the people in charge to understand the strain that we, the users, put on the site as well as finding a server that can handle it all amongst other things.

Sorry your dog didn't make it Tracy. :( It's awful when a member of the family like that dies. :(

I was about to post as well that I hoped that TNT would extend the final day of battle one more day so we could fight some more. I really am not sure if the faction I joined has enough to win this skirmish so I wanted to get some more battling in tonight. I wish there was a way to find out the progress, either during or after the end of the battle-period.

Well...I'm still optimistic about the site getting fixed. It seems like it gets better for awhile and then slow again, but hopefully they are zeroing in on the root of the problem. One thing I will say is that it seems like there's a lot more people on the TDN forums than usual. There's 10 people reading this topic as I write this :)