Neopets Down For Maintenance Again TONIGHT!

hrtbrk

Working tech support as well as having been in charge or at least moderating a fair few sites tends to help in understanding the issues that sites like Neopets have from time to time.

As for the glitches with the prizes, 99 glitches in the code and all applies. The fact that they came up with those items in such a short span of time tho is fascinating.

I mean, it's not going to be like this forever. It'll just take time for the people in charge to understand the strain that we, the users, put on the site as well as finding a server that can handle it all amongst other things.

Indeed. Never been in tech support, but I've done my fair share of moderating left and right myself, so you certainly get at least a working knowledge and such.

Once again, very much true, though the types of glitches are remarkably different from each other this time--far more than before, anyway.

Last few bunches of glitches nearly always pointed at one major issue/several closely related issues (beyond the lag itself, that is)--most of them being related to internal-clock/timing issues and/or servers not properly being in sync with each other at my best guess--where the whole '99 glitches' applies twice as much. (You fix something, chances are that the things that break as a result are somewhat related to the thing you just fixed and all that rot. Even if it can be remarkably surprising what kind of stuff can be "related" in that a chance here impacts that over there. Still, because of that it can also be rather difficult to find out what's causing the problems and definitely means that everything I'm saying here is speculation. We're only seeing the effects, after all, and while it's possible to draw some conclusions from that, without knowing more specific info about servers, databases and such, it's difficult if not impossible to say anything with complete certainty regarding causes and solutions).

Ah, but we don't know what time-span they had to come up with it. They could have come up with them in the past week as the site kept getting pulled for maintenance, or they could have been quietly developing them in the background during the whole time they were keeping mum about the lag but presumably doing some silent fixes--in which case they may have actually been made months ago.

True, it's not going to be like this forever. Pretty happy that at least they're now somewhat communicating with users. It's still not perfect and I feel they have a bit of a tendency to put on the rose-coloured glasses when they type the after-maintenance news and overestimating the progress they've made, but still... I think they've done more communication about the issues in the past two weeks than in the time from the transition up until then, so that's definitely progress.

Yeah. I only say that it's fascinating because they've said multiple times that planning for items tends to be weeks to months in advance of the event. I can't imagine they had planned for this to happen.

Their transparency could use some more work still of course but progress is progress. At least we aren't being made to believe this part is being worked on when really this other part is.

With the items it may have been related to the on-hand np thing that was going on. The system probably forgot or didn't notice a change in quantity so it gave more/again just in case. But as you said, speculation.

I'm sure we'll see a good amount of improvement in the next month or so. Or, I hope so anyhow. It can't go on forever like I said. It'll just seem like it was forever.

Oh wow..Thank goodness! I was starting to get annoyed with the site :( let's hope it works this time =D BUT yes..it WOULD be better to take neopets off for a week or so then multiple times of fixing...but what can you do. With so much too move..I guess I'm not surprised all this is happening o.o

Thank you for telling us. I'm glad they decided to do something. Although I don't like lately they way of doing things, they don't warn with enough time. In this occasion I can understand it, but I think they should have done it sooner.

The site seems to be back up again, but be warned that loading times are very slow right now.

Still not working for me :( too bad I wasn't able to grab nc sale items :(

Tracy, my sympathies to you over the loss of your dear dog. The real sadness and stress over your dog's illness, surgery, death and concerns afterwards would be difficult for anyone. Please be sure to take time for yourself to grieve and heal. Thoughts and prayers for you.

6TBqmJU.jpg?1

Thank you so much. It hurts more than I ever thought it would. They don't give you time from work to grieve for your pets, so I sit here and cry. I feel stupid, but I can't help it. Thanks for your kind words. I just got a bouquet, that looks like your picture, from a friend today. :happystrange: It made me smile. (Both of them). Then I come online to get a few battles in, after dealing with everything, and the site is down. The worst part, I think I got in about 8 or 9 battles before the site went down on me, then I came back to finish up last night and I was 10 mins too late, as I didn't know the site was going down at all, let alone so early. So, I am 1 or 2 battles short which really sucks. Not that I ever do just 10, but under the circumstances, I was trying to get in at least 10.

Sorry your dog didn't make it Tracy. :( It's awful when a member of the family like that dies. :(

I was about to post as well that I hoped that TNT would extend the final day of battle one more day so we could fight some more. I really am not sure if the faction I joined has enough to win this skirmish so I wanted to get some more battling in tonight. I wish there was a way to find out the progress, either during or after the end of the battle-period.

I agree, I think we should know how each faction is progressing during the skirmish so we know how many battles we need to fight, that would be awesome. People would be battling to the death then. LOL.

Thank you for your sympathy. It was Thursday night. I was hoping and praying she would make it through her surgery, but deep down inside (I am a nurse) I knew she wasn't going to. But I had to give her that chance. She was the best dog and I just want her back so desperately. She would know when I got my migraines and she would sit by my side and follow me into the bathroom when I would get sick. So I tried to help her too. I hope she knows that. Even now, as I write this on Monday, I am crying. Anyway, thank you.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The mian page started working for me, but I cannot log in :( meh... I guess we have to wait a bit longer.

The mian page started working for me, but I cannot log in :( meh... I guess we have to wait a bit longer.

Agreed the same is also happening for me... Hope that we can log in soon. :/

Wow, still not loading for me. Sites like isitdownrightnow say that it is down. I can't understand why the site seems to go back all of a sudden, just to crash moments later.

Anyway, that's frustrating. I haven't been able to get into any page of the site since Saturday. I'm going into an abstinence crisis right now, lol.

I can log in. But every page I load comes up as unavailable. I have to refresh 3 times for the page to eventually load and then as soon I click anything, same thing happens so I can't do any of my dailies.

Just going to give up and come back in a week. I'm really hoping that they give the prizes out again and that I will still get them even if I don't log in for a while.

Still nothing, at all. Just the "this webpage is not available" default google chrome screen. Ugh. I went to a friend's all morning, on purpose, so I wouldn't feel like I had to check the site constantly. Left when her boyfriend arrived at 1 and now it's 2:30 and still nothing. If I have to work tonight I'll be livid, I just want time to do my dailies!

After a couple of minutes Neo loaded for me, so just be patient and only load one page at a time to reduce your lag.

Neopets is working for me, thought extremely slow. There are moments when speed is as normal and great, but then suddenly the site lags again horrendously. I haven't played much since the big move a few months ago, and thought that things would be good by now :( Guess not...

Not even loading for me. It eventually just times out.

Man this is frustrating. I mean I'm sure the tech team is trying their best to get everything back to normal, but it really is aggravating. I pay for premium and the last few months I would say is a waste of money. I'm almost ready to leave the site completely.

it is annoying. The site keeps going up and down. Half an hour ago it was working pretty well for me so I headed to Neoboards. Made a topic and suddenly the site is down again. I know that the best would be to just leave it until they are 100% finished with fixing it. But it is just frustrating. The last few days were terrible. Cannot buy NC...

I even thought about going premium after a break but now I am not quite sure...

I can't believe the site is still down. I am getting so frustrated. I just started playing again after having not for years and now I'm trying to build my account back up, but all this down time is killing me.

I really regret opening two cookies this week. Such a waste of money. I waited to open them until the site was running smoothly thinking that it was finally all over. Should have known not believe it when they said they kicked the lag until at least a month later. :mellow: Oh well.