What got you guys into Neo originally?

jellysundae

I saw a link for it on the AOL homepage back in the day, thought the pet looked cute so decided to check it out. Looking back now I guess Neo was actually paying AOL to be able to be shown on their home page regularly, makes me wonder just how many Brits signed up during that time (2002/3) as AOL spammed the UK to death with free CDs for its internet, you'd find them thrown everywhere on the day after the local free 'paper was delivered xD Consequently most of the UK's first internet experience was AOL, thankfully most of us know better now. ><

So how did you get into Neo? :)

When I was 10 or 11, a friend of mine introduced me to it. That account is long gone as I had a rather poor computer and no COPPA release. A few years later when I was 13, I started wandering the internet more and remembered it existed and decided to make a new account so I'd have more to do while I was messing about online. So, basically: Boredom is the reason I joined, hehe.

My best friend talked me into signing up because there was a 'chatroom' lol.

So I signed up, and got my mom to sign the parental content paper. I thought I was the coolest kid alive to be 10-11 and in a 'chatroom' x]

I'm going sound like a Neopets nerd, but here it goes:

When I was in elementary school, I saw one of those handheld Aisha toys and instantly got one. My mom went on a trip and got me a Desert Aisha plushie and said "Here's you Neopet!" and then I got my first account with a Uni, Peophin, Wocky and an Acara.

That's all I can remember. Me and Neopets go way back :)

Oh wow, that's reminded me of the toys that I was sent, I'd forgotten about those :O A friend in the US sent me a selection of the Happy Meal Neo toys, a spotted Gelert plush and a red interactive gelert. I gave them away just a couple of years ago as they were just gathering dust, a little bit of me wishes I'd kept the gelerts though ^^;

I can't remember. I think I was just bored and up late nights. I just stumbled across the site one night looking for games to play. Back then I had dial-up, so it was so hard to play the game. We think the lag is unbearable now, just think of playing on dial-up. It took forever to do anything and restocking was impossible.

When I was 10, my then-friend told me to try it. I had no idea what I was doing, but I enjoyed the games. :) I kinda lost track of it when I was 12; I'd log in occasionally and feed my pets and then forget about it for another year. But I joined back pretty much in full force at 16, and it's been over two years since then. I do quit playing now and then for a few weeks, though... generally it's the TDNf community that brings me back.

I found it on my own when I was 12. I would just type into the search bar "games" "im bored" "kids games". It was actually the first online computer game i ever played. Back then i didnt know that the entire site was a game, so like I'd only click the gameroom link etc. and never the shop. because I was 12 and in my head that meant buying stuff with real money. it took a while to figure that out. Then I showed my little sister. We both got really into it. I was the good one and she decided to be bad and her whole idea of fun was scamming other kids / have multiple accounts to collect on -_________- which of course got my account frozen by association. She quit after that and I still played, many years later though. Thanks neo for wasting my time :P

Hey, if you weren't wasting time online, you can bet you'd have been wasting it some other way instead xD Us humans are stellar at procrastination *heroic pose*

It's been so long it's hard to remember! I think I got into it when I got my first Mc Donald's toy. I think I saw the prize code and decided to visit the site from that.

My nephew wanted a way for us to still play together after I moved away to North Carolina for a job after college. He wanted me to play Geos with him. But I was on AOL dial-up, and we never finished a game because he was too annoyed at how long my turns took!

He didn't really stick with it, and now 12+ years later, here I still am...

Hm, an old boyfriend's sister was like 13 at the time, she had an account with a Kougra so we played the games instead of her. We didn't even have a clue about sharing accounts being forbidden :)

Then we broke up and I forgot about it. Some years later I was visiting a friend in another country, it was Christmas time, it was cold, no snow, I got bored, thought of it and created an account :) I still have it.

I am 26 years old in 25 days and made my first account back in 1999. I have zero idea why I made an account. Probably had a friend tell me or I found out through a search for game sites and neopets popped up.

In second grade, my friend's dad heard about it and thought we would enjoy it but I was 7 at the time so I was just on Neopets junior. I thought it was the greatest thing at the time even though you really couldn't do much. Once I turned 9, one of my best friends brought it up and told me about all the things you could do on a regular account with permission, so I went home and my dad helped me with all that. I played on that account for about 4 years until it got hacked. Fast forward to high school. It was the middle of August and I was bored out of my mind scrolling through tumblr and someone had posted a neopets thingy and I was like, why not? So I made my current account. Just a few months ago I was able to regain access to my old account and it was one of the most nostalgic moments of my life.

I saw a post about Neopets on a blog and I got into it because I loved playing with online dolls and simulation games at the time (I was about 12) so Neopets was right up my alley. When I started playing, everything was 100% about my (first) pet. Feeding and grooming him was serious business, lol.

He was a badly named Yellow Bruce, but I loved him so much <3

I can't remember exactly when but it might have been between 1999 and 2000. I was just surfing... going from page to page reading stuff and I noticed this banner ad kept coming up and I clicked on it. I used to play pop cap games so when I saw that this had games too I decided to sign up. I played for several years until I lost my account through hacking. It hurt too much to just start a new one... I used to come on and look at my sad hungry pets for a while too. Then around 2006 I decided to make a new account and came back. I played off and on depending on how busy rl is. But I think as long as it's around, I'll always come back to play.

Like things with a lot of guys, a girl got me into it. An old former friend from 'across the pond', wanted to have some fun that we could both enjoy. We parted ways, or rather she split because we had a fundamental difference of view on the purpose of art and what drives the two of us to create. I just signed on one day on a social site, found a message that wouldn't scroll down all the way so I couldn't finish reading it, and that I'd been blocked from each site that we ever both frequented. So i never got to say a word edgewise about it. She just did the old hack n' slash without even threatening. Just very rude. Especially considering all she'd been through over the number of years we'd known each other, and the times she thanked me for being the only one to listen. sooo.. yeah. Just weird. I guess it still bothers me when I think about it because I did bend over backward to try to be there for her, even though we were separated by about 3500 miles. And the mass blocking just happened out of the blue. No warning. And that's what hurts I guess.

Anyway. it took me awhile to agree to join Neopets mostly because I really didn't care much for the pet species selection. Peophin was the best fit imho. I still remember the first codestone I found via random event, an Orn. And I remember getting my Honey Potion from Illusen's quest. This was back BEFORE there were the FULL species Armours to worry about. I think the most expensive item I had to buy in that quest chain was, I think used to be called a Pocket Satellite. Not sure if the name has since been changed, but back then you could find them for 99k on the shop wiz. I still have that Honey Potion, though I keep it for sentimental reasons. I used it for maybe 8-9 of the last 11 years. When I finally got the Ghostkerbomb.

Anyway, Just a couple weeks ago, I GOT to Illusen's level 35 for the first time since all those years ago. And she wanted a Golden Scorchstone. practically worthless weapon, but the lowest price on the TP was 300k+! Which is about the current value of the Honey Potion, due to cheaper multi-use weapons doing as much or more damage as the Honey Potion, for much less the price! So I had to start all over again..... Oh well. ;)

Just a few months ago I was able to regain access to my old account and it was one of the most nostalgic moments of my life.

Aw, now I'm starting to feel like I want to try and get mine back ._.; It's so nice that so many people have those nostalgic feels for when they first joined though :D

My sister got me started playing. I'd been teasing her about it for years and then I ended up making an account. I don't remember the login info so it's gone now, but I started my current account a few years later while I was visiting her and I got really into it.