Funny clichés: What do you think of when you think of my country/state?

leverhelven

Rio: I think of beaches, beauties, Carnival... but also World Youth Day. I heard that they "cleaned up" the city by paying the homeless to "disappear" for a bit, basically relocating them without really helping them get back on their feet. (I've heard they did something similar in Atlanta, tearing down housing projects to build the Olympic village, forcing the people to relocate to another area...)

World Youth Day? What's that?

Do you mean the Catholic event with the Pope and everything? World Youth Journey?

Anyways, the government doesn't need to pay the homeless to disappear. They just come with police cars and take people away. "Simple" as that, unfortunately... And yes, they do relocate poor people to other areas in order to build new stuff. Usually to awfully far away places :/

Like Nammah, I tend to first think of either food or music!

It's been fun to read all the ones about Canada. I'm Canadian but I'll up the ante: more specifically, I'm from Saskatchewan! ;)

So since I'm the first poster, I can't analyse anyone yet, but I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. What do you guys think of when you think of it? :)

I think of the movie "Rio", with the birds. :P Lots of bright colours, fun music, and dancing!

I'm from West Virginia :3

Take me hoooome, country roooads... to the plaaaaace, I beloooooonnngggggg....!

As for me, I'm from New Orleans and I can pretty much confirm that all of your stereotypes are true but I'd like to hear them anyway.

I think of the "Battle of New Orleans" song by Johnny Horton hahaha. I also think of the cuisine - dishes like jambalaya and gumbo. I used to work at a hunting Lodge, and we had hunters come up from Louisiana. They were very loud, passionate about the LSU tigers, and forced me to eat head cheese. :laughingsmiley:

I wonder what people imagine when they think of the UK...lots of rain? ><

Rain was the first thing I thought of! But I also think about the accents and how they're so different but so distinct hahaha. And tea!

I'm from Portland, Oregon and we're awfully proud of our stereotypes, even though a lot of them are exaggerated. So I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

I don't know much about Oregon other than I've seen pictures and it looks so beautiful. :) Stereotypes about the people? I think of the show Portlandia, I guess. I'm pretty sure it's exaggerated though, LOL

I really think it turns to "what do you think of, when someone mentions their country" rather than stereotypes and I find it nice :)

So, when I think about Brazil, it's samba, beaches and favelas. My stereotype about the Braziilans is that they are friendly, smiling, welcoming people. I read that it can be so on the outside but you don't make friends that easily there. Is this true, leverhelven?

The friends part is so not true! We make friends very easily indeed. We consider almost everybody our friends: from the baker from which you buy bread everyday to the doorman of your building... I guess we're just very talkative and open, hehe :P

By the way guys, I just found this page: "Every [American] State Described by a Single Sarcastic Line" and found it very funny! :D I didn't get many, since I'm not American, but I did understand many others and I enjoyed it!

the Netherlands: I have so many different impressions of your country, and I don't quite know how to fit them all together in my head: windmills, bicycles, dikes, and tulips; Anne Frank and the Dutch resistance; legalized hard drugs (and I've heard various accounts of how prevalent drug use is, or how most people look upon it, ranging from "a large proportion in the cities use, but only very casually" to "most people don't do it and don't want to be around it, but still want it to be legal, and only a small proportion use"); friendly people who like to travel and know a lot about the world; modern, clean, environmentally friendly cities; Sinterklaas and wooden shoes; euthanasia...

We don't really have legalized hard drug here, just legalized soft drugs ;).

It's very interesting to read what people have to say about the different countries.

I must admit I do not know a lot about the different American states, but overall when I think of America I think of (sometimes overly) friendly people with a bit helpers complex (mostly in a positive way!).

I'm going to America this summer, so I can see whether my stereotype will be confirmed :).

I have a brazilian friend and he really likes his food, so when I think of Brazil I think of lots of food (especially meat).

I have a friend that lives in Manila, and our online boss lives in Cebu, so anything to do with The Philippines always makes me think of them :) Particularly if it's "gross" stuff like balut, as my friend's wife really likes that, and he regularly threatens to feed me with it if I ever get out there to visit them. xD

@passiflora

Totally tea! I didn't mention it myself, did I. I'm a little afraid that my citizenship will get rescinded now D:

I have a friend that lives in Manila, and our online boss lives in Cebu, so anything to do with The Philippines always makes me think of them :) Particularly if it's "gross" stuff like balut, as my friend's wife really likes that, and he regularly threatens to feed me with it if I ever get out there to visit them. xD

EEEEEWWWW, can I unsee that image? :sick01: :sick01: :sick01: I knew that dish before, I just didn't know it was from the Philippines...

Anyways, when I think UK, I think of fog, the Royalty, Harry Potter, BEATLES <3 <3 ...and the fact that I'm going to London NEXT WEEK! :D :D

Not gonna lie, mid-Feb's a brave time of the year for someone from Brazil to come to England <.< >.> January/February's the coldest part of winter, so it's gonna be a shock to your system no matter what the weather's doing. It's often colder on the bright sunny days, too.

Here's something useful for you to bookmark http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743 Are you visiting our chilly shores for a fun reason? :D

World Youth Day? What's that?

Do you mean the Catholic event with the Pope and everything? World Youth Journey?

Anyways, the government doesn't need to pay the homeless to disappear. They just come with police cars and take people away. "Simple" as that, unfortunately... And yes, they do relocate poor people to other areas in order to build new stuff. Usually to awfully far away places :/

Yes, that's the one. We call it "World Youth Day" (even though it now lasts more than a day...).

Jaavje, I agree that many Americans can be overly friendly (ugh, people who want to hug when you first meet them -- when did that become a thing? My friends and I never hugged in college... *sigh* The good old days...). Not sure what you mean by "helpers complex," but it might be true. Well, not everyone, but enough people.

That kind of reminds me of Ireland, actually, the "land of 100,000 welcomes." We stopped and asked a lady for directions, and her whole face lit up as if we'd somehow made her day by giving her the opportunity to help.

I actually don't know the difference between hard drugs and soft drugs. To me, I guess anything 100% illegal in the U.S. (i.e., not used for medicinal purposes) is a hard drug. *shrugs*

Jaavje, I agree that many Americans can be overly friendly (ugh, people who want to hug when you first meet them -- when did that become a thing? My friends and I never hugged in college... *sigh* The good old days...). Not sure what you mean by "helpers complex," but it might be true. Well, not everyone, but enough people.

I mean that the people I know are always trying to help other people.

When I think of the UK the first thing that springs to mind is the booze, the second is all the nice country houses (because I love watching Escape to the Country...).

Not gonna lie, mid-Feb's a brave time of the year for someone from Brazil to come to England <.< >.> January/February's the coldest part of winter, so it's gonna be a shock to your system no matter what the weather's doing. It's often colder on the bright sunny days, too.

Here's something useful for you to bookmark http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743 Are you visiting our chilly shores for a fun reason? :D

I sent you a Personal Message so as not to go off-topic :)

There are tons of other things I can think of about most of those places but I'll stop now. I'm from Bulgaria and I don't really expect many people to even know where it is :) :)
Bulgaria makes me think of our own president; she's of Bulgarian descent :) Aaaand it makes me think of all the interesting countries of Eastern Europe. So full of history! I'd love to visit them all one day...

Brazil? I enjoyed my time there quite a bit, though it was only about two weeks on a business vacation with my parents. I haven't lived in every continent yet, which makes me upset...but I'd love to stay in a country in South America for a time.

The people were a bit scary, though, at least those I met; very boisterous. :-p

Uhm, I currently live in central Europe, but I'll pick somewhere I've lived before for varieties sake...Poland!

Brazil? I enjoyed my time there quite a bit, though it was only about two weeks on a business vacation with my parents. I haven't lived in every continent yet, which makes me upset...but I'd love to stay in a country in South America for a time.

The people were a bit scary, though, at least those I met; very boisterous. :-p

Uhm, I currently live in central Europe, but I'll pick somewhere I've lived before for varieties sake...Poland!

So you've been here before? Cool! Which city did you stay in? :)

Yes, Latin-Americans are famous for being boisterous and loud, and also extremely friendly and physical (meaning we'll hug and kiss and touch a lot).

Wow, Poland! The first things I think of are historical ones... Its invasion by the Nazis... the Auschwitz Camp... And also that the very first non-Italian Pope was Polish (John Paul II)!

I also makes me think of a photograph I saw on a magazine... it was a famous square in Poland that was famous for the hundreds and hundreds of pidgeons... Am I crazy or is this real? :P

Bulgaria makes me think of our own president; she's of Bulgarian descent :) Aaaand it makes me think of all the interesting countries of Eastern Europe. So full of history! I'd love to visit them all one day...

People here were very proud of Dilma Rousseff. As if she's relative to every Bulgarian, haha. Small countries tend to find all kind of reasons to be proud.

Nevertheless, if you happen to visit my part of the world, please, let me know, I'll be more than happy to show you around.

When I think of Poland, it's one of the few Central European counties I haven't visited yet. I think of Krakow and the dragon, Zakopane, the Tatras and the Carpates, the language and its consonants, Maria Curie and the polonium, Lech Wałęsa. I recently learned that Polish people don't like Russia at all. Also, vodka :) Here we think Polish people are the worst drinkers, I know that's not very nice, I'm sorry :(Also Gdańsk, Gdynia and Szczecin (omg the consonants!), I don't remember anymore what those cities are famouse for, but we studied them en bloc in geography. Then Chopin, one of my favourite composers, la polonaise :), Kopernik, Adam Mickiewicz, Henryk Sienkiewicz, Roman Polański, Andrzej Wajda, Bolesław Prus and one of my favourite authors Stanisław Lem.

I'm sorry it got so long :)