What do you collect in real life?

Naamah D.

I noticed that there is a what do you collect on Neopets post, so I wanted to have a what do you collect in real life topic :)

I am a video game fanatic and this is my collection :)

http://instagram.com/p/wabtG_Slr4/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/waaopJSlnE/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/waaiKNSlmp/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/waZ1nByli_/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/ueZkJUSllq/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/ueZViwyllR/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/waaL1Rylk5/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/wabnYQSlra/?modal=true

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1907422_762820237107727_7297585794984890964_n.jpg?oh=e757f1e2be256cc4dfc3bda5f1994298&oe=5560B4DF&__gda__=1432673762_208561b85e36f1bb7f3c83e38aa2b98c

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10446506_727596673963417_3231704858428876783_n.jpg?oh=db124945513d03d238d407b845950861&oe=556CE393&__gda__=1433210906_ff256e7670d50a7107b6dae3e3c567f8

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10453357_725459347510483_8713597462622183951_n.jpg?oh=1de97862ccd6bc5cff92d32e0a88d9db&oe=555333C1

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10383510_725459327510485_8175951843149655653_n.jpg?oh=94df6435042859e60300040225d11469&oe=5551EB45

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10479034_725459284177156_1741575982383533881_n.jpg?oh=a61c64cc8d705fbccf499f9956e99b1e&oe=555A963A

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10489749_725459257510492_785651218545480153_n.jpg?oh=16b340ba4b63796be8cde409cdf39b26&oe=556BE70D&__gda__=1432404940_c8c97e823635e33310f47b0f50f1bb23

Hm...there are a few things I casually collect, but nothing I have a huge collection of! I've got some TV memorabilia from sci-fi shows, a big postcard collection, and a few lingering collections from childhood. Your video game collection is amazing!

I collect books :) When I was younger, I was collecting beautiful napkins (those were the days of the communist regime in my country, I know you can't possibly imagine it but we only have two - three different kinds of napkins and they all were ugly). I was collecting colourful chocolate and candy wraps (the same reason) and postcards. Fortunately I don't anymore :)

I'm a serial collector. I've collected so many things over the years, I joke I collect everything, including dust.

There's only a few collections I still actively add to, which are M&M items (especially anything including blue M&Ms or the blue M&M character), Minnie Mouse items and a few various trading card games (I like to laminate my favorite cards and turn them into durable bookmarks)

Over my life, I've collected everything from toys like Polly Pocket and Beanie Babies, to collectibles like Cherished Teddies and Disney figurines, to comic books or key chains. I even have a collection of baseball caps, even though I only wore baseball caps was when I played softball.

I have an "oddity" collection which is just more like a nature collection. Mostly things I've found around the house like animal bones, rocks, bugs, wasp nests, things like that. I like to order owl pellets off amazon and dissect them because I'm weird like that...

In my defense, I use these objects for my art :nerd:

I collect Barbie dolls. I do NOT like the new barbie dolls as they have changed the body style. You know, because everyone who has, or has ever had, an eating disorder, is because of the old Barbie body style. LMBO. (laughing my butt off). Anyway, I collect any collector series, Holiday Barbies, the pink box barbies (which are just regular, everyday, play dolls) because my thought is, everyone else is taking them out of the box and/or playing with them, so there will be fewer of them in the box some day. I also collect the old vintage and retro barbies and clothing from 1959-1973. Those dolls I collect out of the box, in fair to good condition, but not mint because, #1 they are WAY too expensive, but mostly because I enjoy doing their hair and dressing them to display. Also, they are the ones I CAN play with (ie. style hair, dress, and display) yet, they still have a lot of value. lol. If I take a Holiday barbie out of it's box, there goes it's value.

I have a lot of other hobbies, but I wouldn't call them collections. Barbies are a hobby, passion, and a collection. I still have my barbies from when I was a child. I took care of them. I didn't cut their hair, write on them, pierce their ears, or any of that. They are in nice, played with, condition today.

So i guess its not really a collection. But I have this bookshelf. Actually my best friend and I both have identical black bookshelves, and we use them for the same thing. A display of what we've accomplished, or got from trips etc. I have a lot of disney collectables on it from Disneyworld and Disneyland. Ranging from porcelain to plastic. Actually the nicer things are almost all beauty and the beast. I have an exclusive limited rose necklace, a thomas kinkade canvas of the castle, collectable dishes, and a large lenox figurine of beast and belle. I also have my harry potter stuff. Like my wand I bought from Ollivanders at universal, a box of unopened Berttie Botts Every Flavor Beans, A chocolate frog, the Godric Gryffindor card that came with it. Lanyards of disney trading pins, medals from running mud runks and other 5K -10K races. The bibs as well. Some books. collectable shot glasses, a stein from germany. a disney birthday hat, memorable photos, world of warcraft plush. Just really fun things that show what ive been up to. I don't make it a habit to add to it, but when something comes along like when i go on vacation with my friends usually 1 or 2 items will be placed on the shelf.

Dust

jk

I collect Perfume. LOL silly collection, but I love to smell pretty, and love when my stuff smells good. So I have about... 30+(ish)
Even after I`ve finished them, I still keep and collect the bottles.

I collect beanie babies. Well not so much anymore, I'm ready to pack up my collection and store them somewhere because they are taking over my room. XD I used to have a little collection and then when other people found out everyone bought me beanie babies for every holiday and now I have so many I don't know what to do with them all. :weird:

I collect wheat pennies and bicentennial quarters. I also have one badly worn buffalo nickel I found last year in circulation.

I just bought 7 crates of records on a whim, so I'm suddenly a collector. But our record player just broke :(

Are the holiday Barbies worth much these days? I have them from the late 80s to mid 2000s .... somewhere .... in boxes. The old ones were "Christmas Barbies." I also have my 90s "played with" Barbies and My Little Ponies. I know some of the mail order ponies are worth a fair chunk of change.

I always see holiday barbies in their boxes in thrift stores. I kinda like to look around them without really ever buying anything, Its interesting what people donate or toss out.

I collect nail polish, i have over 300 different ones. You think there are only a few colors, but they are different! Even though the difference may be slight, I need them all! :)

Oh, Absolutely! Just go into any nail salon and you will see there are hundreds of colors. I mean there are several shades of red, several shades of pink, several of purples, then you have your neons, your glitters, white, black, yellows, greens, and on and on.

I always see holiday barbies in their boxes in thrift stores. I kinda like to look around them without really ever buying anything, Its interesting what people donate or toss out.

I have looked at the thrift stores around my area but I have never seen ANY barbies. I look at the flea markets, sometimes I get lucky, but mostly, people know what they have. Or, I find the opposite, people THINK they have something worth a fortune and it is nothing special at all. I see it all the time on ebay. I will see a doll with no clothing, a child's play doll, up there for 100.00 starting bid, and I am laughing to myself. I wouldn't pay $1 for it and they want 100.00. On the other hand, I saw one, (I won't bother with the explanation of the doll) but the woman had no clue what she had. She found in cleaning out her basement, it was her old doll. She put it up for 0.99 cents. It was at 400.00 and a bidding war started at the end. I contacted her and said, "I bet you are shocked right now." She said, "OMG, yes!!! I was going to put a buy it now for 10.00. What is going on? What is this doll?" I said, "It is a black Francie doll. Good news is, you didn't sell it for 10.00. Bad news, you aren't going to get too much than it is at right now. You may get about 425.00." She said, "425.00!!! I would have been happy with 10.00! Thanks for telling me what she is." It ended up selling for exactly 425.00.

I collect wheat pennies and bicentennial quarters. I also have one badly worn buffalo nickel I found last year in circulation.

I just bought 7 crates of records on a whim, so I'm suddenly a collector. But our record player just broke :(

Are the holiday Barbies worth much these days? I have them from the late 80s to mid 2000s .... somewhere .... in boxes. The old ones were "Christmas Barbies." I also have my 90s "played with" Barbies and My Little Ponies. I know some of the mail order ponies are worth a fair chunk of change.

Oh, yes, I forgot, I too collect the state quarters. Both the D (Denver) and P (Pennsylvania) mint. Not that they are worth anything, but who knows in time. They are worth at least $25.00. LOL. I also collect wheat pennies, and give them to my dad. Also any silver coins. (I got a one dollar silver certificate in change from Costco a couple of years ago-gave that to my dad too). Got a steel penny in change. It was very dingy. I noticed it because I had my name tag for work in my pocketbook. It is magnetic. The penny was stuck to it. I was getting the wheaties out for my dad and I noticed the one stuck to my name tag. I said to my dad, "why is this penny stuck to my name tag?" I knew silver coins stuck to magnets, but didn't know of any pennies that stuck to them. He said, "It's a steel penny." It didn't look steel. He said, "It's worn, but still nice."

The barbies from the 90's that are played with, not really worth anything. Now, for the Holiday and Christmas barbies. A couple of things. The Holiday barbies started in 1988. In the box, that doll is worth a pretty penny. (pun intended). It is worth about 200.00 now, although it used to be worth about $700-800 in the early 2000's. So they have declined dramatically. Now, there are also "pink box" Christmas barbies. Pink box barbies are what collectors know as dolls that are not collector editions, or limited editions. They are made in abundant supply, and are the ones that children play with as well. During the Holidays, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentines Day, etc. there are various pink box editions of those "holiday" barbies. Some of them command pretty high prices, although they too have come down. The ones that are really commanding a hefty price tag right now, depending on the model, is the Silkstone barbie. I have the first edition of that one, my mom bought me for 35.00 and it was going as high as 500.00. That has come down to about 200.00. The Harley Davidson dolls have come back down to reality too. The vintage #1 NRFB (never removed from box) is thousands of dollars. For a doll that was 3.50 brand new, that was a great investment if someone bought one then and never opened it.

I'm also a book collector! I got a Kindle for Christmas last year but I'm still addicting to buying hard copies of books.

I guess I also collect quarters, but not in any serious manner. The Canadian Mint seems to release a lot of 'special edition' quarters, so any time I come across one in my change that isn't the typical caribou design, I just throw it in my quarter bag. It's very heavy and I use it as a bookend. :laughingsmiley: I also have a very tiny collection of different international currencies.

I collect beanie babies. Well not so much anymore, I'm ready to pack up my collection and store them somewhere because they are taking over my room. XD I used to have a little collection and then when other people found out everyone bought me beanie babies for every holiday and now I have so many I don't know what to do with them all. :weird:

I used to be a diehard Ty beanie baby collector! I probably have hundreds of them in boxes in my basement. I don't think any of the ones I have are very valuable, so I don't know what to do with them either. :p

I have an "oddity" collection which is just more like a nature collection. Mostly things I've found around the house like animal bones, rocks, bugs, wasp nests, things like that. I like to order owl pellets off amazon and dissect them because I'm weird like that...

In my defense, I use these objects for my art :nerd:

Woooow, I had never heard of such thing before, but I googled it and WOW! It's really something!!! I'd totally love to dissect a pellet now :D

I collect buttons and pins! I especially like it when friends travel abroad and bring me some :) As of now I have three tiny boxes packed full of them. I'm trying to think of a way to keep them exposed in my bedroom, but I can't think of anything...

Oh, yes, I forgot, I too collect the state quarters. Both the D (Denver) and P (Pennsylvania) mint. Not that they are worth anything, but who knows in time. They are worth at least $25.00. LOL. I also collect wheat pennies, and give them to my dad. Also any silver coins. (I got a one dollar silver certificate in change from Costco a couple of years ago-gave that to my dad too). Got a steel penny in change. It was very dingy. I noticed it because I had my name tag for work in my pocketbook. It is magnetic. The penny was stuck to it. I was getting the wheaties out for my dad and I noticed the one stuck to my name tag. I said to my dad, "why is this penny stuck to my name tag?" I knew silver coins stuck to magnets, but didn't know of any pennies that stuck to them. He said, "It's a steel penny." It didn't look steel. He said, "It's worn, but still nice."

The barbies from the 90's that are played with, not really worth anything. Now, for the Holiday and Christmas barbies. A couple of things. The Holiday barbies started in 1988. In the box, that doll is worth a pretty penny. (pun intended). It is worth about 200.00 now, although it used to be worth about $700-800 in the early 2000's. So they have declined dramatically. Now, there are also "pink box" Christmas barbies. Pink box barbies are what collectors know as dolls that are not collector editions, or limited editions. They are made in abundant supply, and are the ones that children play with as well. During the Holidays, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentines Day, etc. there are various pink box editions of those "holiday" barbies. Some of them command pretty high prices, although they too have come down. The ones that are really commanding a hefty price tag right now, depending on the model, is the Silkstone barbie. I have the first edition of that one, my mom bought me for 35.00 and it was going as high as 500.00. That has come down to about 200.00. The Harley Davidson dolls have come back down to reality too. The vintage #1 NRFB (never removed from box) is thousands of dollars. For a doll that was 3.50 brand new, that was a great investment if someone bought one then and never opened it.

Oh, not state quarters! I abhor those. They have territory and national park quarters now ... what's the point of making so many kinds? My state, Colorado, doesn't even have a "real" mountain on it!

Bicentennial quarters were made only in 1976 when the US turned 200 years old. They have a colonial drummer on the back.

Neat find on the steel penny!

Thanks for informing me on the Barbies. I'll have to see if they are in storage now .... oh boy :-) I'll have a lot to read up on. I had no idea about the pink box and Silkstone editions!

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago I accidentally started collecting movie ticket stubs. One day I noticed a small handful had accumulated in my wallet so I decided to keep it up. I've now got a whole shoe box of them with some as old as ten years.

Semiprecious stones and the like. It's apparently a trait that comes with people born in the year of the Dragon. ;-;

Oh, and lip balm, I suppose. (It's more I misplace or forget a tube of lip balm, and end up buying another.)

• 2 weeks later...

i used to collect stickers and action figures ... then i grew up :mellow:

You are NEVER too old to collect ANYTHING. :D I am 21 going on 22 and I collect MLP (My Little Ponies). The Build-A-Bear store recently started making MLP's and I have ALL of them (minus a few new ones). I just love em!

I also collect Snowglobes!

I use to collect pins (the ones you see the people at stores like Wal-Mart, Mejiers, Target etc wearing to advertise a new movie.) and funky pens (ones that were weird looking, big, fuzzy, animals, you name it!).

I just LOVE collecting things; I don't know what it is but when I start collecting something I have to try to get all of them and every-time I add a new item to the collection I get REALLY excited. I'm worried I'm a boarder-line hoarder, without all the nasty gross and uncleanly things to go with it lol