Dutch Neopets not gonna update anymore

AllTimeMarr

Didn't they just decide not to update the Chinese too about a week ago?

Seems like they're slowly going to drop all other languages.

What do you mean it's not going to update anymore? The Dutch site is different to the English site? There's a dutch site? I just assumed that there was just a page translation... forgive me, because I don't know. So if t's not going to update anymore, does that mean you will only be able to play on the English site?

At least there was "own neoboards" for every language you could choose.

You can check this by changing the language for ex. Español and check any board, there's completely different topics up.

I don't know if it affects anything else.

Edit: Oh! Also contests.

What do you mean it's not going to update anymore? The Dutch site is different to the English site? There's a dutch site? I just assumed that there was just a page translation... forgive me, because I don't know. So if t's not going to update anymore, does that mean you will only be able to play on the English site?

Is the same site, translated. Each language also has their own boards and contests, but not everything. For example the Neopian Times only exists in English. The language option basically allows younger players to play in their native language, or simply people who don't speak English.

Maybe there isn't enough of a user base to keep employing someone to translate it in the different languages? For example, people usually get higher pay if they speak a second language here in the States. OR maybe it's not JumpStart's policy. I'm not sure what other websites they have or if they translate the other websites but that could have been a Viacom/Nickelodean thing and since they no longer own the site they are phasing it out.

Either way that's very sad because I think if you're more comfortable with your native language you shouldn't be forced to play in a langauge that is difficult for you.

Neo's always had the different language options, so it's going to have been something implimented in Adam and Donna's time. I guess it's just that Jumpstart's the first of its owners since that time that don't see it as a viable option to keep, maybe because the online numbers are so small compared to what they used to be. :(

Ahw, this sucks! Even though nowadays I only play in English, I discovered neo in Dutch. It'll always be Crisis Koerier instead of Crisis Courier, and I know that doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is to me.

And to those of you wondering what the difference is, there are different Neoboards and Contests (as is mentioned before), but most of the games are in the other languages as well, everything from the gameplay to the instructions. Only non-flash wordgames like cliffhanger would be in English.

That really stinks. I know they've disabled support for other languages, and I think the content already translated can still be viewed in that language, but nothing new is translated into it. (And of course you lose anything moderated, such as contests, Neoboards, etc.) Does this mean you can no longer have Dutch on your petpages, shops, trades, etc.?

More worrisome is that Chinese has been disabled (since it's spoken by more people in the world than any other, and there was a brief time when I would always buy codestones, etc. from Chinese shops, because they'd take advantage of time differences to user shop-restock while Americans were sleeping). What languages are left? I know the French are worried... If Spanish goes, we'll know the site is really in trouble.

I get that it's a cost-benefit thing; it costs money to pay the monitors and translators (I assume they have to have monitors around the clock in each language), and they need enough users to justify it. But they're never going to get more users in those languages once they stop supporting them, so they're basically giving up on the market in those countries. Obviously they'll retain multilingual users, but... it's worrying. Especially since Jump Start hasn't really done anything with the site yet -- they're dropping support for these languages *right* before the release of their Ghoul Catchers thing. It just seems... shortsighted.

Maybe it's an interim measure, and they intend to reinstate these functions as and when site activity increases. Here's hoping.

I think it will also effect the events. And anything new that will be added to the site. I think we will not get a Daily Dare/Altador Cup et cetera. I am not sure, but i don't think they'll add anything to the Dutch (or any other language that won't be updated, ;like Chinese). I think it will be like, an open hiatus? The site will be accessible in Dutch as it is now, and nothing will ever change :p But that's just my thoughts

Maybe it's an interim measure, and they intend to reinstate these functions as and when site activity increases. Here's hoping.

I'm hoping with you!

Neo's always had the different language options, so it's going to have been something implimented in Adam and Donna's time. I guess it's just that Jumpstart's the first of its owners since that time that don't see it as a viable option to keep, maybe because the online numbers are so small compared to what they used to be. :(

Probably not, because when I started playing, 13 years ago, there was only English. I remember I was 12 years old and I struggled a lot, since my first language isn't English. Language options are probably a Viacom thing.

Italian and Korean have been gone for quite a few years, still during Viacom, so maybe it doesn't mean much. But yes, Chinese is weird. Maybe the site is just not that popular there? *hopeful*

Hmm, I wonder what it is that I'm remembering then. It's an avatar thing I think, changing the language to get one or something, I'm relatively sure it was before Neo was sold to Nickleodean, but I could be totally wrong there. :*

Hmm, I wonder what it is that I'm remembering then. It's an avatar thing I think, changing the language to get one or something, I'm relatively sure it was before Neo was sold to Nickleodean, but I could be totally wrong there. :*

I know a lot of players changed their language to increase their chances of getting the Island Mystic avatar. That trick was still working a few months ago when I got the avatar. Other than that I can't think of what else it might be.

I know a lot of players changed their language to increase their chances of getting the Island Mystic avatar. That trick was still working a few months ago when I got the avatar. Other than that I can't think of what else it might be.

I have vague memories of it being something to do with the garlic avatar, but this is 10 years ago so I really don't know ><

I discovered that aswell, which makes me kinda sad. I played Neopets in Dutch for years, but after coming back to Neopets and really joining here, I switched to English (as it was easier with the Item Databases). There already were pages not being available in Dutch before (for example Petpet Park daily), but the games and pages were always available in Dutch.. I wonder if the Dutch version never gets updated anymore or just will.. cease to exist? :(