2nd neopet

charelan

OK, so I got a new pet yesterday. I've never had a 2nd pet before. As long as I feed it and play with it etc, is there any real benefit or reason to switch my active pet in and out? As long as it's bloated and delighted all the time of course ;)

Your active pet is the one who receives stat increases and decreases with Random Events and dailies such as Faerie Quests, the Coincidence etc. So you can choose the pet you want to have stats modified as your active, or protect the one you DON'T want to take risks by not making him/her active.

Ugh, typed too slow, leverhelven beat me to it. :P

It's exactly as she said: Random events and certain dailies (i.e. Coltzan's Shrine) only affect your active pet, so if you're interested in getting stat boosts on a certain pet, you would want to have that one as your active.

And on the flip side, your active pet is the one that is vulnerable to all the 'bad' random events too -- such as getting Boochi'd, turned invisible, turned blue if sad, etc.

A lot of people who are paranoid, like me, prefer having a "shield pet" for that reason. That means keeping an active pet that doesn't have too expensive of a paint job, so if they do get hit by an undesirable RE, it doesn't hurt as much. I would be very careful about having an expensively painted pet as my active all the time... you never know what might happen!

Also, a notable exception to the "only your active pet is affected by stat boosts" rule is Kitchen Quests. When you complete a Kitchen Quest and get a stat boost as a reward, it might randomly apply to any of your pets, whether they are your active one or not. For this reason, a lot of dedicated Battledomers prefer keeping only one pet, as it saves a lot of headache there (and you can get cheap training without relying on chancy pet selection).

And on the flip side, your active pet is the one that is vulnerable to all the 'bad' random events too -- such as getting Boochi'd, turned invisible, turned blue if sad, etc.

When REs were revamped, it was decided that color-changing REs would no longer exist. Your expensively-painted pets are safe from their color being affected like that. Boochi still zaps, but he will always miss. (I think he only still exists as an RE to give users a chance to obtain him as a battledome challenger.)

When REs were revamped, it was decided that color-changing REs would no longer exist. Your expensively-painted pets are safe from their color being affected like that. Boochi still zaps, but he will always miss. (I think he only still exists as an RE to give users a chance to obtain him as a battledome challenger.)

Interesting! I did not know that, that's definitely for the better. Can disregard my advice on that front, then. :D

I got boochi'd right before this happened. My Darigan zafara that it took me forever to save up for zapped THE DAY AFTER I PAINTED HER. I was so ridiculously mad that I stopped playing for awhile. Since coming back I discovered the RE was taken away and that made me happy but still bummed about my poor Zaffie.

Another postive note on having a second pet; FAERIE QUESTS! I keep my battle pet active so it can get all the positive RE's and stat increases BUT it was a lab pet and the HP is astronomical. I need 4 almost 5 codestones now to train the level up. It's draining my bank account and I'm actually using the coincedince to try and kill the HP. So during the daily FQ if I get a Dark Faerie quest I switch my actives. If I only had one pet I couldn't do that. I'd have to abandon the quest or take the additional HP. I've been praying for Space Faerie quests but I've only ever gotten one and it looks like I'm not getting another any time soon :( I NEED THOSE LEVELS AAHHHH!

So there is more to this than I thought!

My own original pet turned invisible in the first few weeks I played with her but fortunately it was before she was painted baby so it wasn't aa big deal. Plus I think my starter kit had a blue paintbrush in it so I just used that instead.

I'm glad to know that can't happen with changing your painted pets now, that would be a bummer! Especially since I only got a 2nd pet since I got a prize that let me go to Rainbow Fountain and I didn't want to change my original pet.

And what is Boochi???

Maybe I should leave my original pet active as her stats are higher and I can't train her with dubloons and I'd need more codestones...

Boochi is a baby Bruce that has a ray gun that can change your pet's color to Baby. Or, well, it used to, now he always misses. If you ever get an RE from him, you'll get him as a battledome challenger.

And let me tell you it was EXTREMELY satisfying to be able to go kick Boochi's butt right after he ruined your paint job.

HAHA well hopefully no one but nalelan gets boochi'd - she's a baby anyway!

So... looks like I'm hooked. I got a 3rd neopet. No paint job, but maybe in the future.

It's funny, I went years with just one but getting to dress up non-baby pets is way more fun, and it makes sense to have both a boy and a girl, I guess.