Damien Rice

leverhelven

So, after about 8 years of silence, Damien Rice released a new album, My Favourite Faded Fantasy, and, as usual, I'm in love. It is also very clear that many of his new songs are about Lisa Hannigan and how broken-hearted he is.

So I wonder if there are any Damien Rice fans out here? What are your favourite songs? What do you guys think of his music without Lisa Hannigan? Which verses speak out the most to you?

I think Hannigan has been conspicuously absent in everything Damien Rice has done since they parted ways.. She was so much a part of what made his first album magical and I'm pretty sure he took the people around him for granted. I notice two other players are not here on this album either.. but I know they went on to work with Lisa. Team Lisa, I guess!

I put this new album on once, but it faded to the background and I found the self pitying about the Lisa situation kind of.. sad? And not sad in the melancholy way.. I just didn't feel much sympathy for him. It's weird to admit that because I so loved his first album and I remember going to see him when I was 15 (apparently Ed Sheeran and I were kids at the same gig - weird) but I don't feel it anymore. It doesn't feel as sincere or authentic. Maybe it really did take him this long to come to terms with it but I believe he is milking it. It felt cliche and hollow to me, like he doesn't know what to do without her, except sing about her.

Harsh review, I guess. I might give it another listen.

• 4 months later...

I love his song "Cannonball." I first heard it sung by one of the contestants on The X Factor