Steven Universe

Duskitty

Some of you may know about a relatively popular (at least on Tumblr) kids' show, Steven Universe. I just got into it recently (only on the 8th episode or so) and I'm loving it so far. The characters, the art style, just everything about it is great and cute.

Do any of you have younger relatives that watch the show? Do any of you watch the show itself? What do you guys think of the show?

Discuss!

Guest Tahalika

I adore Steven Universe, and this is coming from someone who usually doesn't watch TV. The characters are fantastic, the scenarios know how to be suspenseful without being overtly negative, the lore is so fascinating; I'm so glad this show exists.

Garnet is by far my favorite, especially with Jail Break. And Greg is such a nice dad, I get sad when I see people call him dead-beat just because of his looks. Super sweet guy, like him a bunch.

While I generally like the concept and how it was pulled off in Steven Universe, I don't actually watch it since it's not my cup of tea. Its humor isn't my type, like Adventure Time. However, same with AT, I respect the show a great deal and think it's a fantastic show with a wonderful premise, and they are definitely better than the old cartoons that were simple slapstick humor. It's deep and personally and intelligently written, with a great variety of well-rounded characters. I actually reblog a lot of SU fan art and theories on Tumblr, mainly because I think they're good. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone based off what I've seen.

Well, I've only seen commercials for it, but I gotta go negative on this one. I may be an old fogy here, but growing up in the 80s with some pretty awesome animation back then. I think that it's sad to see American cartoons continue to decline on the graphics level. :(

Meanwhile, anime is improving with just about every show I see. Whether it be episodes, or trailers/commercials. I've noticed the decline starting in the late 1980s, while after a few anime were introduced into the market, the few shows I could see, such as Ronin Warriors and Dragonball. Seemed to get better in the stellar visuals. I think that's why anime has exploded in popularity over the last 15-20 years. Good stories, great emotion for the most part, and of course, the visuals just keep getting more and more advanced.
I miss the days when Disney was turning out some amazing series. They were, imho, the main hold-out on visual quality in cartoons. (Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Tailspin, Rescue Rangers, to name but a few) And the last bastion of a company that I felt, respected the intellect of their children audiences. Sadly, they caved to the IMHO cheap cut-rate productions that they show now. Completely disregarding the amazing works of the artists who came before them.

LOL This is an OLD rant for me. Back on another forum about 15 years ago, I used to head a discussion topic about this subject. It was fairly popular and everyone had their opinions. Usually it was fine discourse. Though there's always some troll here or there who has to be contrary to everyone else.

But imho, nowadays, it's like cartoons are for numbing the brains of kids, instead of exciting their intellect. When I was growing up, shows used larger words, and explained tricky happenings in a way that made sense. But you never felt lectured during an explanation.

Frankly, the best American cartoon I've seen in a decade, was the revamping of the show Thundercats, back in 2011-2012. It's such a shame it was cancelled. (Blasted Warner Bros!) I'd dare to venture that the revamping was graphically on-par with the original series back in the 80s. Which yielded over 130 episodes. The art in both was pretty stellar for the time, and the original Thundercats was one of, if not the first, to include life situations and lessons into their shows.

Here's a sampling of 3 opening themes of programs in the 80s by the Rankin:Bass company.

Thundercats(1985) is first, Followed by Silverhawks (just check out how ALL the "metal" reflects the light sources, even in the action sequences, and yes this happened in the show, not JUST the opening theme) The 3rd is a unique one, part of a programing block that was called, "The Comic Strip", it was called Tigersharks.

For comparison to the 2011 - Thundercats, here is a montage with clips from the remake, set to the original Thundercats theme

I know I'm judging "Steven Universe" on very little, but if anyone has a link, I'll check out an episode of Steven Universe. And give it a more informed review. ;)

You can watch Season 1 here: http://theworldofstevenuniverse.blogspot.com.es/p/steven-universe-season-1-english.html

They're all in English, and each episode is about 10-13 minutes long. iirc there's a link to Season 2 as well, at the bottom of the list.

Ah, what a coincidence! I just binge watched it on Friday, and now I'm all caught up!

At first, I didn't really like it, since I thought it was the same juvenile humor most kids shows have these days (I stopped after the first 4 episodes of the 1st season). And then the hype came and I got really annoyed with it. But, after it died down, I gave the show a second chance. I'm glad I did! :laughingsmiley:

You can watch Season 1 here: http://theworldofstevenuniverse.blogspot.com.es/p/steven-universe-season-1-english.html

They're all in English, and each episode is about 10-13 minutes long. iirc there's a link to Season 2 as well, at the bottom of the list.

Thanks Duski, I'll check them out later and post whether it changes my mind or not. LOL

Aquamentis. The problem is that while I also love the shows you mentioned, such as Thundercats, Young Justice, The Boondocks, The Legend of Korra, etc... They have a lot of trouble staying on the air. They're very expensive to produce (even Korra, which finished it's 4th season had the budget of a whole episode scrapped while in production), and if they don't sell enough toys or bring a big enough revenue (big enough is the key word here. They may be doing bug bucks but if the producers thing it's not doing as much as something else), then they're gonna be replaced with something that brings just as much money but that it's cheaper to make. It's a real shame that they have to sacrifice the artistic side just to get their product out of the door, but it's the world we now live in (if you want the Stephen Universe Pilot it's much more detailed than the series). 2D animation also has to compete with 3D, which is usually cheaper and is being used by more and more shows nowadays. I wish for those days where we had intelligent AND beautiful shows. And I hope for them to come back again.

Gerardz, those are some very good points, and I HATE that so much of it seems to be about the profits. I've been watching this decline and ascent as I grew up, before 3D CGI was any major kind of competition. And I think if you look at the sliding quality of American cartoons, graphics-wise, with the almost steady improvement of Anime, at least that gets aired in the US, one created a void, and the other fills it pretty closely and well. Back in the 80s, parents griped about the cartoons, calling them 30 minute toy commercials, but I haven't heard that about these current cartoons, which is kind of odd, since they seem to be MORE about the money than the 80s or 90s. If you judge by quality of the program, how it was made, etc.

Anyway, I went to that link to watch SU, and as soon as I clicked on the video to play, my anti-virus program blocked the page and gave me 3 warning notifications, all at once! It's good to know my AV works! It's been so long since it's warned me about anything I wondered how effective it really is. LOL

Anyway, I did see some of the graphics on that linked site, and I remember something about SU in the commercial I saw, that I didn't like, he reminds me of the title character in Crayon Shin-Chan. Which was a pretty adult-humored program, and looked like pretty bad fridge art. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you like pervy, potty-humor, and LOTS of it. I'm NOT saying SU is like THAT, I'm just giving a base description of the show that has, imho, similar looking main characters, especially if they were to be drawn in the same style.

I'll try youtube for some SU clips instead.

I'm really enjoying it and it's quickly turning into a 'watch Steven Universe they said. It's a kids show they said. It's funny they said' kind of deal where it's slowly getting more and more angsty and I love shows like that. I love that they don't treat their audiences like they're stupid. They don't talk down. The Gems talk down about humans as a whole, which I really love when aliens are kinda snooty and like 'oh you humans aren't interesting at all' and those aliens who think so are considered weird.

I've been watching on the blogspot page and it's really great. I need to start watching again especially now that they're on a hiatus so I can catch up.

I find Steven Universe a breath of fresh air from all the other current cartoons on the air. It has a lot of elements that kept me hooked with cartoons I watched as a kid.

• 2 months later...

Yes I am sooo glad this topic exists as I was about to create one. Glad that I looked first. I am certainly hooked on the Steven Universe fandom and absolutely love it! I still have to catch up on the last few episodes of season 1 before I start season 2. I shall be watching them to get caught up! :D

My favorite characters are: Lion, Pearl, Peridot, and Lapis.