Training Your Neopets

So I've never been a fighter in the battledome and just recently decided I was going to start training my pet so I can get the avies that come with beating certain opponents.

I've looked at many articles about training and most are just telling me where and how much I can train my pets for, what I need to train my pets, and what weapons are good to have; all of which I know.

What I'd like to know is what exactly is the way to go? I realize that strength, defense, endurance, and speed all say what they do and what they upgrade on your pet, but what does level do? Does it upgrade all of these (except endurance). Is it best to just work on endurance and level or do the other ones need to be upgraded individually?

Thanks for the help! I've been around Neopets for awhile, but I have never fought in the battledome, it's never interested me haha

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk).
This topic was posted in the wrong area.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from 'Neopets General' to 'Battledome & Battlepedia Chat'.

Level is its own thing and is described by a number. your pets level allows you to use various faerie abilities (this is also when you use the weak faerie bottles). Every time you read a certain level point/number you get to pick a new faerie ability and it boosts your fighting strength and sort of acts like a third weapon/defence.

When you're training your pet you don't have to upgrade everything, really depends how into it all you are. But one thing is, if you train your pet to get to level 50 and then decide you want to train strength, but it's back down at 10, you'll still have to pay for the training based on the level of your pet, i.e. 50, and it will be more expensive. Also, once you get to beyond level 40 you can't use the swashbuckling academy for that pet anymore, and once you're above level 250 you have to use the ninja school.

Basically, if you want to create an all around powerful pet it's better to train everything at once as it will be cheaper.

Hope that makes sense, and anyone else can point out if i have missed something!

Level is its own thing and is described by a number. your pets level allows you to use various faerie abilities (this is also when you use the weak faerie bottles). Every time you read a certain level point/number you get to pick a new faerie ability and it boosts your fighting strength and sort of acts like a third weapon/defence.

When you're training your pet you don't have to upgrade everything, really depends how into it all you are. But one thing is, if you train your pet to get to level 50 and then decide you want to train strength, but it's back down at 10, you'll still have to pay for the training based on the level of your pet, i.e. 50, and it will be more expensive. Also, once you get to beyond level 40 you can't use the swashbuckling academy for that pet anymore, and once you're above level 250 you have to use the ninja school.

Basically, if you want to create an all around powerful pet it's better to train everything at once as it will be cheaper.

Hope that makes sense, and anyone else can point out if i have missed something!

This is all correct, but you forgot one thing ;)

Level also allows you to train the stats (stats are endurance, agility(=speed), strenght and defense) of your pets. At the swashbuckling acadamy, you can only train you pet's stats to twice your level. So, if your pet's level is 11, you can only train the stats to 22. If, by some RE or Faerie Quest or Labray Zap or whatever, one of your stats ends up higher than twice your level, you can only train that pet's level until it's half of your highest stat.

So, for instance, your pets level is 15, and you've trained all your other stats (maybe not speed, because that doesn't do anything in the battledome, so training it is just a waste of money and time) to two times 15, so thirty, Then you get a Dark Faerie quest, you complete it, and suddenly your endurance isn't 30, but 33. You'll now have to train your level to 17. (half of 33 is 16.5 but that's not a possible level).

At the island training, you have the same rule, however, it's also a bit different. At island training, there's also a rule that allows you to train your pet's endurance to three times your level, but if you want to train the other stats, you'll have to train your level up again to twice your endurance.

I was in a similar situation in Dec when I needed a bunch of game and battle avatars. Knowing I am bad and mostly uninterested in the games, I decided to knock out the battle ones. Its really overwhelming at first, reading all the guides, abilities and battle item descriptions then rereading because I forgot. But it doesn't have to be. TRAIN often, pirate training is cheaper so train there until level 40. Start fighting now so you know to how to use your weapons. Are you fighting Roberta? Just focus on training one pet, I don't lab ray my battle pet because I find it incredibly frustrating to pay for training that is just zapped away.

Basically, dont stress out and spend a ton of nps until you are somewhere between level 40-50 and your other abilities are x2 your level. You DON'T have to train movement unless you know you want to use one of the FEW items that requires it, ex heavy robe of thievery which stole in the old battledomes... very much doubt this will be fixed anytime soon if ever. Because of the battle gear glitch that plagued us for a month or two, I learned you really dont need much to battle and win. Seriously I won with multiple muffins, healer and a shield.

This is what I had equipped until recently and did just fine and a its super cheap set.

• Scroll of Ultranova, Downsize!, Cursed Elixir, Scarab Ring, Parasol of Unfortunate and whatever muffins I won

Once you know who you want to fight you can supplement. I fight jetsam ace and bought a leaf shield or knew I wanted a TMP from Harry the Mutant and paired my scarab ring with a Blunted Qasalan Gladius Sword. Lose the scarab ring when you are midlevel fighting. Cursed Elixir is a must because it heals you 20 hp while taking away 20 from your challenger. I have some useful links on http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=Sparkmoicheck out the ability guide. I now battle almost every day, got the challenger avvies and 3 of the skirmish ones, make most of my training costs and a few valuable items. Haven't won a paintbrush yet, but technically its possible

It's best to train strength, defense, and endurance (and level as much as you have to in order to be allowed to train the others). The strength and defense boosts are often significantly cheaper than a comparable weapons upgrade, though it does take time. But you can pay for much of your training with the dubloons and codestones you'll eventually win from the BD (and the boons you can sometimes win with the Obelisk skirmishes).

If you have the lab ray, I highly recommend supplementing your training with zapping (after you're past level 50 or so...). The key is to train as often as you can, focus on defense and strength, and make sure no stat is running away from you. If you have a stat that's threatening to push you into the next most expensive training level, just take a break from zapping until you catch up. Yes, the lab can take stats away, but in the long run, you'll gain a lot more than you lose, on average. This can save you millions of NP on your way to a top-boost pet -- but more importantly, it can save you a lot of time. I've seen several lab logs, and every single one shows a significant net increase in overall stats. Sure, you'll have to train defense a little more often than you would have to otherwise, but you can go months between endurance trainings -- and as long as you're not overpaying for stats, you're saving NP (since all stats cost the same).

If you have specific questions or want specific examples for what people have mentioned, just ask -- maybe share the specific stats and current weapons for your planned battle pet. Just start small and work your way up. I started with a pair of scarab rings. (You can start with a much better set for much cheaper now.)

Everyone has given such good advice already! I just thought I would post the BP's Fast Training Guide, as it does sum-up quite a lot of information.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/fast-training/

This and other great battledome related articles can be found here.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/index/

Happy battling! :D

I've seen several lab logs, and every single one shows a significant net increase in overall stats.

I'll have to try zapping my battle pet again. Originally, that was my idea with changing Vhcn into a mamga poogle, I could easily change her back if needed. But guess I had a long run of bad luck when zapping.

siniri, on 21 Apr 2015 - 4:59 PM, said:snapback.png

I've seen several lab logs, and every single one shows a significant net increase in overall stats.

ERG!!! wouldn't you know that the last 2 training sessions required EO codestone. Its only been two days but already miffed

Zaps

April 23, 2015 ... and she loses two levels :(

April 22, 2015 ... and she loses 2 strength points :(

This post has been edited by a member of staff (.Brianna.) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 1 month later...

The lab ray is unreliable & your good looking pet could turn to Snot or worse... Agility has no effect in the Battledome other than being able to use certian items, like a Heavy Robe of Thievry  http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/weapon/viewweap/689/ Basically if you don't plan on stealing items in the multiplayer Battledome, Agility is all show and no go.