Nay, my computer is messed up

Naamah D.

My laptop's screen has been going white and flashing a bunch of multicolor lines. I talked to my dad who knows a lot about computers and he said that it's time to get a new computer.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do for laptop screens when they go bad, except to get a new laptop. However, do you have a newer TV that may have an HDMI or S-Video, or VGA input? If your laptop has any of those as outputs, you may be able to connect your laptop to your TV until you can get a new computer/laptop. Or maybe you have an old computer monitor?

Sorry scoobert, while you are my favorite cartoon character of all time, your answer is not correct. lol. You can indeed hook up to an external monitor, but you can also replace the screen. Depending upon how expensive your laptop is, depends upon if it is worth getting a new screen or not. a new screen can go for between $80-250. My recommendation is always the online auction with the big E or the online retailer with the big A. Look for the make and model of your laptop and determine if purchasing a new screen is worth it over buying a whole new laptop. When I dropped my brand new Toshiba I paid 650.00, that I had for 3 months, about 10 yrs ago, that was expensive back then. A new screen for it was 80.00. I did that, it was totally worth it. You pop the plastic clips that hold the plastic frame around the screen. Then there are really small screws that hold the screen in place, and the wires clip in. It is actually quite easy to change. Just be careful when you pop the clips that you don't break them, they break very easily.

Sorry scoobert, while you are my favorite cartoon character of all time, your answer is not correct. lol. You can indeed hook up to an external monitor, but you can also replace the screen. Depending upon how expensive your laptop is, depends upon if it is worth getting a new screen or not. a new screen can go for between $80-250. My recommendation is always the online auction with the big E or the online retailer with the big A. Look for the make and model of your laptop and determine if purchasing a new screen is worth it over buying a whole new laptop. When I dropped my brand new Toshiba I paid 650.00, that I had for 3 months, about 10 yrs ago, that was expensive back then. A new screen for it was 80.00. I did that, it was totally worth it. You pop the plastic clips that hold the plastic frame around the screen. Then there are really small screws that hold the screen in place, and the wires clip in. It is actually quite easy to change. Just be careful when you pop the clips that you don't break them, they break very easily.

My apologies to you and to NaamahMadasyn. I don't know what I was thinking. However, yes, you have to take into account how much it costs for a new one, if one is available, and if you can or feel comfortable working on a laptop, and/or the cost of having someone else (computer repair shop) do it for you, as you mentioned. It is possible it could be the video card, too. Many laptops, and desktops, for that matter, have integrated video. If that is the case, it may call for a motherboard replacement, which, again, would depend on the factors above, and may not be as easy to replace, as a screen. I humbly stand as corrected, and shouldn't have posted.

My apologies to you and to NaamahMadasyn. I don't know what I was thinking. However, yes, you have to take into account how much it costs for a new one, if one is available, and if you can or feel comfortable working on a laptop, and/or the cost of having someone else (computer repair shop) do it for you, as you mentioned. It is possible it could be the video card, too. Many laptops, and desktops, for that matter, have integrated video. If that is the case, it may call for a motherboard replacement, which, again, would depend on the factors above, and may not be as easy to replace, as a screen. I humbly stand as corrected, and shouldn't have posted.

No, you were correct in posting about the external monitor, as well as the fact that it may not be, and probably is not, the screen. The way to find out for sure, without spending the money first, is like you said, hook up to an external monitor that you KNOW is working, if you get a picture, it is the screen, then you can feel safe in buying one. If it still isn't working, it is something else, then you need to trouble shoot. She said her dad was good with computers, so I assumed he could change the screen for her, however I suppose that isn't necessarily so. like you said, you do have a comfort level and be somewhat mechanically inclined. As I said, it is very easy to break the plastic clips if you aren't careful. But, I still love ya Scoobert. lol. You KNOW someone is going to call you out if you say something that is not 100% correct. You were, err, um, 75-90% correct. lol. Now I am just teasing you. but please don't ever think I am ever trying to be mean or rude. I am NEVER trying to do that. I love everyone here. I may say something that sounds that way, and I apologize ahead of time if that happens. I just want the correct information to get out, IF I even have it. I don't always. lol

I think rntracy1 is on to something. It might be your video card that's going out. The bad news is that replacing a laptop video card is a nightmare compared to doing it on a computer. You have to send it to the manufacturer to get it replaced.