Hubrid shield vs Faerie Tabard for 1p?

WeyrCat

Honesty up front: I only 1p, basically for daily codestones, the Obelisk, and avatars. I have only enough to get one or the other, and am interested in upgrading about 60% surviving bigger foes (Cybunny Scout, but last time I was around DoN2 was broken and defeating her didn't award you anything), and 40% turning this slowly accumulated pile of NPs into an item so I can qualify for Bony Grarrl club someday. Also, I simply like the way Faerie Tabard looks, over the shield. I still RP my BD pet in my head, and she's modelled a little off of Talinia (NQ2), because I consider myself an archer (don't mind the dust on my arrows, grad school is hard).

SO. Long useless intro short.

Level    87
Str    169
Def    170
HP    178

I have Bow of Destiny, and Scuzzy's Comb. Jar of Brains. Lens Flare. (I do own Leaf Shield, and purple sticky hand).

Abilities: Following the TDN guide for those, so I have Lens Flare and Icicle. I LF off the bat, so free damage in the first round, then Icicle.

I don't really use much else, because hunting codestones I just load BoD and JoB, and Lens Flare and burn down Ghost Lupe (hp35). I see on th TDN Basic Weapons Sets that (moving from Intermediate to Advanced), I could go from Leaf to Shield or Tabard, and from Bow to one of those fancy swords. I'd like an all around upgrade since I can't really afford two sets for different types of challengers. I know that HNS is only 1mil more than FT, and has a little bit better def (all light +5 all others, vs all water +4Fire, 3Air, 3Earth, 5Phys... 20vs15...) But I'm not sure if it matters that much for my measly "beat all the 1p" purposes.

My NP income is really weak, and the NP I have came from sloooowly accumulating it with some lucky random events while playing NQ2 for my Bow.

I hope that mades sense somehow.

i have the HN shield. I use it every battle. I think its lovely, but then again I got it for a second reason.  To make a profit if it retires. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have. It is a lot. You should wait til the hidden tower discount comes around, or buy from trading post you may get it cheaper. 

mtsparky, I reported your post to the mods, so they should remove it for you soon, no worries. :)

On-Topic: Instead of the shields, you could go with a Freezing weapon, then you'd have 2 free rounds. Well, more like one and a half free rounds. ;) Round 1: Lens Flare + BoD + Freezer  Round 2: BoD + Scuzzy's Comb + An Icicle.

That should help. But if you really want a shield. I'd say, consider which opponents you're going to battle. Here is a link to the challengers profile page.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/index/

Then choose the shield that best suits the opponents weaponry that you intend on Fighting. Of course, training will help you win fights too. You may wish to go for something not as expensive as those shields, for a lower level shield, and then use the NP you save for training.

So according to the damage calculator. http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/site/damagecalculator/

Right now, with your Strength boost. Your Bow of Destiny, if none of it is blocked. It'll do 39 damage. While your Scuzzy's Comb should do 30.

Depending on the HP of your opponent, this could also help in determining which opponent you might wish to face. If you keep training, say to the 200 boost. Your Bow of Destiny should go up to 59 damage, according to the damage calculator, and Scuzzys Comb will go up to 45 damage. These are the maximum of damage those weapons with the boost at 200 will do, provided they aren't blocked. Also, An Icicle will do a bit of damage too.

I've always been a frugal battler. So since you said your income of NP is limited right now. It might be better to go with a cheaper path to battling.  If you can handle Jelly Chia, I would recommend him. Lots of junk Spooky Food,m but he will give you codestones and faeries. He also has a couple of stamps and a book. Here is his profile.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/viewprofile/142/

For defense, I'd suggest the Leaf Shield, since most of his weapons consist of Earth, Water and Physical icons. But also, you may consider a Golden Compass. I know it's weaker than your Scuzzys Comb, but if needed, the icons of dark defense will help on the chance that he uses his Evil Snowball. Which does a few icons of dark as well as water and physical.

Hi! I am relatively new to the Battledome. I have read about some of the Challengers in the Forum, but they don't appear in my list when I go to battle. For example the Koi Warrior does not appear on my list. How do I add Challengers?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (.Brianna.) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts on topic. This board is for comparing two battledome weapons.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Hi! I am relatively new to the Battledome. I have read about some of the Challengers in the Forum, but they don't appear in my list when I go to battle. For example the Koi Warrior does not appear on my list. How do I add Challengers?

Some challengers need to be unlocked, some you can only get through certain events, some are only available during some events such as wars or plots that require battling and then there are those that are available by default.

Koi Warrior needs to be unlocked according to his BP profile.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/viewprofile/152/

Under his picture/profile in his profile entry, there is a description of how to get him. This is a copy and paste from that part of his profile.

How to unlock: Refresh at Maraqua.

Clicking the link in the text of Maraqua will take you there, and I guess you just keep refreshing your browser window until you get him as a random event challenger. It could happen fast, or take a little while. If you refresh it VERY quickly, you may miss seeing the random event when you get him. So maybe have another tab or window open with your challenger list, and refresh that once in a while, to see if you've gotten him from Maraqua. No need refreshing at Maraqua more than necessary. ;)

I hope this helps!

i have the HN shield. I use it every battle. I think its lovely, but then again I got it for a second reason.  To make a profit if it retires. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have. It is a lot. You should wait til the hidden tower discount comes around, or buy from trading post you may get it cheaper. 

I hadn't really thought of the retire value. I presume that means you think FT wouldn't have a retirement value, probably because HN is better. Yar?

My next step, after deciding, is to learn about the discounts. I think there's maybe an accoutn age discount..? Does half-price day work on the Tower? Hmm.

On-Topic: Instead of the shields, you could go with a Freezing weapon, then you'd have 2 free rounds. Well, more like one and a half free rounds. ;) Round 1: Lens Flare + BoD + Freezer  Round 2: BoD + Scuzzy's Comb + An Icicle.

For defense, I'd suggest the Leaf Shield, since most of his weapons consist of Earth, Water and Physical icons. But also, you may consider a Golden Compass. I know it's weaker than your Scuzzys Comb, but if needed, the icons of dark defense will help on the chance that he uses his Evil Snowball. Which does a few icons of dark as well as water and physical.

Aqua! You had so much advice! Thank you! I'm going to go investigate that freezing build! It intrigues me!

It is a teensy frustrating that each opponent basically needs different gear, but mainly because I don't have a good np gathering mechanism. It totally makes sense to me in every other game! :P

Aqua! You had so much advice! Thank you! I'm going to go investigate that freezing build! It intrigues me!

It is a teensy frustrating that each opponent basically needs different gear, but mainly because I don't have a good np gathering mechanism. It totally makes sense to me in every other game! :P

You're welcome! Well, as your pet gets more powerful, you can do more with less. From the beginning I started out, as what I called, a budget battle. So I went scouring through equipment profiles to try to find items that might help me without breaking the bank. With over 2500 possible pieces of equipment, there are lots of options. ;) Sadly MANY pieces of equipment are junk. Many are from the beginning days of Neopets, dating back before I started playing. I remember when a Lost Desert Dagger went for over 30k, and a Hand Painted Scimitar was unbuyable, even though now you can find them for FREE from Grave Danger. lol

But there are defensive items that can help protect you for not a lot of NP, there are also the 50% reflectors that, while most of them CAN break FOREVER, they're not usually too expensive, and if you combine a reflector with a shield when the HP of your pet and opponent are getting dangerously low, it can be a good defensive way to claim victory. ;) I've used that trick a number of times when I was a newer battler.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...