What does it take to get a UC without a UC to trade?

Kyle Of The Music

This petpage is the general guideline for BD to UC conversions: http://www.neopets.com/~Nitali#pyramid. However, it's the name more than the stats that are important when trading BD pets for UCs. RN, RW, and less than 5L are much easier to trade for UCs. You might want to reconsider training a pet with a name that doesn't fall into those categories since with less and less desirable names, the value of the BD pet depreciates to the point where your HSD should get you into a higher tier, but you end up having to trade for a lower tier. Also, try making your BD pet a lab-only color Draik or Krawk. The zapping will help with training, and it's far easier to trade with an exclusive color and species rather than a generic Red Ogrin. Good luck!

This petpage is the general guideline for BD to UC conversions: http://www.neopets.com/~Nitali#pyramid. However, it's the name more than the stats that are important when trading BD pets for UCs. RN, RW, and less than 5L are much easier to trade for UCs. You might want to reconsider training a pet with a name that doesn't fall into those categories since with less and less desirable names, the value of the BD pet depreciates to the point where your HSD should get you into a higher tier, but you end up having to trade for a lower tier. Also, try making your BD pet a lab-only color Draik or Krawk. The zapping will help with training, and it's far easier to trade with an exclusive color and species rather than a generic Red Ogrin. Good luck!

Well, I do have a RN Vandagyre. I'll try to zap and train that. (His name is Chifundo. I was picking random names off behindthename.com and seeing what wasn't taken. His name was the first one.)

I don't think his name will be anywhere near being able to to trade for a UC.

If he was named Steve or something along those lines, it would be a hot commodity but I think your best bet is to train a pet in order to get an UC pet.