Jing's Work Adventures part 2

jingfah

So I told yall a couple of months ago how I had been given an Amazon gift card by the Director of the library I work at and told that they appreciate all my hard work, right?

Well, yesterday I went in for my 90 day review and I left with 1) a permanent job spot (yay!), 2) a pay increase, 3) apparently I'm getting a holiday bonus???!!!!, and 4) changing around of my Saturday shifts so that I can have admin. time and work on/take on projects!

I'm so so so happy and I'm super excited to keep learning new things and growing within this job position! Plus, I'll finally be getting my Bachelors in Library Science next semester and then I can start working on my Masters!

Also, thanks for giving me a place to gush about things without having to worry about if I'm bothering you/making you feel bad. Everyone here is so supportive and I appreciate every single one of you!!

How fabulous! You seem to have found one of the few remaining decent employers on the planet, congrats on that! I'd like you to go shake your boss by the hand, and congratulate them on their integrity, on my behalf. Will you do that? I'm sure they'd not think you were insane at all, lol :shiftyeyes_anim: Seriously though, colour me impressed. Which is pretty sad, isn't it, sad that it's such a surprise now when an employer treats their staff well, and not even just well as a blanket policy (which in itself is pretty unusual) but actually notices what people do and rewards them for it.

So gush away, enjoy your good fortune. :D

Jing, you are straight up awesome at that job. Congratulations!! AND working on your bachelor's?! I know how hard that is (not that major exactly, but still). You've definitely earned the right to gush. Fantastic! Digital hug!

Thanks everyone for the support/encouragement/well wishes/everything!

I means a lot. The TDN family is pretty amazing.

Congratulations. I'm actually in my second semester of my MLIS at San Jose State right now. Only I'm specializing in archival rather than library work.

Oooh how is that going? I would love to specialize in archival work, but I'm also interested in developing and overseeing a large collection of East Asian materials. 

The archival classes are interesting. You still have your essential reference interviews and collection development stuff but there's the additional steps of arrangement and description to be done that is different from library collection management. A lot more emphasis is going into digital records now because so many collections are becoming digital with digitization projects among other things.  

The archival classes are interesting. You still have your essential reference interviews and collection development stuff but there's the additional steps of arrangement and description to be done that is different from library collection management. A lot more emphasis is going into digital records now because so many collections are becoming digital with digitization projects among other things.  

Makes sense. I admit that I'm not 100% sure what I want to specialize in for my MLIS. I'll have to do a lot more research first.

I just started looking at what my school offers for MLIS today (because I finally managed to secure the last class I need next semester in order to graduate), so hopefully I'll make up my mind soon. It just all sounds so interesting and I hate the idea of restricting myself.

I know before I enrolled I was talking to the librarians around here who all pretty much went to my current school. (It's one of only two in the state and is 100% online or in person) and she said that with unit requirements they basically had two specialties. Like one of the librarians here specialized in children's librarianship and academic librarianship. The history room librarian specialized in adult reference and archival studies. Stuff like that. There's even a managerial tract. Like my school alone has 13 tracks. I think I'm going into archival studies and digital curation.