Friend request question

rntracy1

I got a friend request on neopets from someone I don't know.  The odd thing is, this person sent like 6 of them, each of them 1 minute apart.  Could have been that they weren't sure if it went through.  So, I asked this person, "I received a friend request from you, do I know you from somewhere?" They said, "No, not that I know."  I said, "Ok. Just wondering why you sent 6 friend requests.  How did you get my name?" I haven't heard back yet.

My Question is, I know that some people block friend requests and/or don't accept them.  I really have no desire to be friends with this stranger and don't know why they would want to be friends with me.  They obviously want to be quite desperately.  lol.  Could there be a concern with account safety by accepting friend requests from people you don't know?  I don't see why there would/could be if they didn't have the password, but I why would people block friend requests then?  Thanks for your input.

Yeah, be careful. I don't know of any specific threats related to accepting Friend Requests. You could write them and ask why they want to be your friend.

I put in my ULU, do not blindly friend request me... or something like that. If people do it that I don't know, and they don't introduce themselves, Usually, I just let the friend request go unanswered. It's only polite after all, to introduce yourself before asking to send a friend request. At least that's my policy. lol

r u talking here or on neopets ?

friend list here has no security issues but on neo id be careful

Sorry, yes on neopets.  Yes, I know on here has nothing to do with neopets.  I should have been more specific.  Will edit my post.

you are already my neofriend.  it wasnt me!  olive juice.  i reject random friend requests.  especially when they dont reply with a reason why.  one time i asked why, and they said why not, and i rejected that reason, too..

I know it was YOU!!  LOL.  But seriously though, the odd thing is, the account had nothing on it.  There were no trophies, few avatars, basic pets (un-customized), no neo-home, etc.  I guess the other odd thing was the sheer number of requests.  LOL.  6 of them, each 1 minute apart, seemed rather strange.  I just wasn't sure if there was MORE likelihood of being hacked by a "friend" than a "non-friend".  Just being cautious I suppose, as I have worked so hard on this account.  (As we ALL have!) :rolleyes_anim:

Yeah, be careful. I don't know of any specific threats related to accepting Friend Requests. You could write them and ask why they want to be your friend.

I put in my ULU, do not blindly friend request me... or something like that. If people do it that I don't know, and they don't introduce themselves, Usually, I just let the friend request go unanswered. It's only polite after all, to introduce yourself before asking to send a friend request. At least that's my policy. lol

Thank you for the advice. I'm still fairly new to Neopets and still trying to learn how the community works on top of other things. I'm not saying I'm the type to send 6 friend requests, but I didn't know to introduce myself when I do send one. Usually when I like someone's shop or think their profile is pretty cool, I'll send a request so I can find my way back to their shop or be inspired by their Neopet Customization. It creates less browser clutter compared to bookmark. 

Were you/do you use Neofriend only auctions? The person could be trying to get you to accept so they can snipe items from you.

If not, I'd ignore it and only add people you know. While it's not much of a security risk (other than someone trying hijack auctioned items) it's still annoying

Mostly what evrybody has said is on the same tenure. If you don't know them or they don't try to be known by you, you can safely ignore the request. I personally don't have much neofriends, only those from the guild and my side account. If anybody else want's to be a neofriend, I need to chat a bit just to get along.

I wouldn't accept random neofriend requests. I don't know how your bday setting is, but if "Displaying Your Age" is set on "visible to all neofriends" it is one number less to hack if their intention is to hack your account.

If they don't give you a valid (for you valid) reason to become your neofriend after asking them nicely, I would definitely deny it.

Thank you for the advice. I'm still fairly new to Neopets and still trying to learn how the community works on top of other things. I'm not saying I'm the type to send 6 friend requests, but I didn't know to introduce myself when I do send one. Usually when I like someone's shop or think their profile is pretty cool, I'll send a request so I can find my way back to their shop or be inspired by their Neopet Customization. It creates less browser clutter compared to bookmark. 

It definitely wasn't you that I was talking about.  LOL.  Just kidding.  (Not about it being you- lol).  But yes, there is so much good advice here, that is why I ALWAYS turn to THIS forum when I have any questions, concerns, problems, or even GOOD things I want to share.  Not only do you get great advice here but you also get great support and affirmation.  I have to say, the majority of my neofriends are from this site.  When I asked if I knew the person, I was 99% expecting them to say that I knew them from HERE.  But after I asked for more info on WHY they wanted to friend me, I never heard back. :hmmph: So, not only did I ignore the request, I refused it.  Now, if they had told me what you said above, I liked your pet customization, your shop, your profile, your user look-up, I would have been fine with the request.  Or at least not as suspicious.  But, they didn't answer my question at all.  That made me even more suspicious.

I wouldn't accept random neofriend requests. I don't know how your bday setting is, but if "Displaying Your Age" is set on "visible to all neofriends" it is one number less to hack if their intention is to hack your account.

If they don't give you a valid (for you valid) reason to become your neofriend after asking them nicely, I would definitely deny it.

Yes, I do display my age to all neofriends.  I didn't even think about that aspect of it.  So then they definitely would know at least the year.  Wow!  That may be why people don't do that.  Thanks for the input on that.

Were you/do you use Neofriend only auctions? The person could be trying to get you to accept so they can snipe items from you.

If not, I'd ignore it and only add people you know. While it's not much of a security risk (other than someone trying hijack auctioned items) it's still annoying

I don't do that for auctions.  I do it for trades, but you still have to accept them, so it doesn't matter.  But I never thought about that aspect of it either.  I know when doing the lends with TDN they do mention that.  So then, according to all the GREAT advice from everyone here, there definitely IS some risk with accepting friend requests from people you don't know.  Thanks for all the advice.  You guys rock. :rock:

Just to answer your question as to why some people block them, personally, I block my requests.

Since I'm involved with the ALP, I frequently get NF requests from random strangers that see me having a large number of lots on the TP with avatar items. I do it because really, I generally talk to someone quite a bit before I add them as NF, so I don't want to take the time of trying to figure out if I know someone before accepting/rejecting a NF request, so it's easier to just have them blocked. If someone wants to contact me and ask, I can go from there.

Does the option to give an item to your neofriend still exist? Could be a reason why they are adding you if it is. I remember stealing my sister's codestones and bottled faeries if I get the random event when doing dailies for her.

I tend to add neofriends randomly if they are from my country. Its rare to find neopets players from Singapore these days.