Account Hacked?

Y2K2000

Hi...

I'm sad to say that logging in just now, I have found that overnight somebody hacked my 12.5 year-old account :(

All of my hard-earned NP is gone, all of my items that were worth anything, the items I have been collecting from Daily Dare this month, my shop has been cleaned out, my SDB and trading post offers have been cleaned out... all of it is gone.

I'm so sad, I think this has ruined my experience and I am probably going to stop playing indefinitely... I'm guessing there's absolutely no hope of finding out who did this, is there?

God, this sucks... Why would someone do this?

Thank you for your reply, it is reassuring to hear that people are being helped. I have submitted a ticket, but how is there any hope of me redeeming my items/NP? I have no way of proving who stole from me, or what they took. Luckily I have access to my account and have changed my password and made a PIN, but the damage seems to be done...

Oh no!! I feel for you... It happened to me over 10 years ago and I stopped playing for at least 5 before starting up my new (relatively speaking) account... Like hrtbrk said - there seems to be a crazy rash of this happening now and tnt will hopefully get this in order quickly!

I found out a few months ago that my 14 and 1/2 year old account was stolen. pw and email were both changed. I don't know for how long it was stolen though, since I hadn't been online for almost 6 months. I was too busy moving and stuff. After I found out, I contacted TNT, was able to give plenty of information and got my account back. Although nothing was mentioned or asked about giving stuff back. I think I lost at least a value of about 20 mil NP (including the items) But since my lists of books, petpets, stamps etc are on my other PC (which is still wrapped in wrapping against dust) I don't know for sure what else has been stolen. So there might be more missing.

I was just glad I had access to my account again, and that I still had all my neopets, so I didn't even bother asking for NP or items.

Maybe since yours is more recent they can easily figure out what has been stolen and return it. I really hope so for you! I'm just saving again, and it's going pretty well (Thanks to Ghoul Catchers and Trudy's Surprise). I think after summer, if I keep this up, I will be able to afford a Meowclops again. :P

So, don't give up Neopets because of this! As long as you have your account and pets, everything can be obtained again eventually.

Thank you for your reply, it is reassuring to hear that people are being helped. I have submitted a ticket, but how is there any hope of me redeeming my items/NP? I have no way of proving who stole from me, or what they took. Luckily I have access to my account and have changed my password and made a PIN, but the damage seems to be done...

Don't worry, it's all tracked so they will be able to tell what was taken and by who. All you have to do is provide proof that you are the owner of the account.

Don't worry, it's all tracked so they will be able to tell what was taken and by who. All you have to do is provide proof that you are the owner of the account.

Okay that's very reassuring, I really hope this gets worked out. Thanks to everyone for your positive support and help!

• 2 months later...

I know this is late and all, but this same thing happened to me.  I submitted a ticket, but now I can't access the account.  I assume I've been quarantined, and it's telling me my password is wrong and when I reset it (because it lets me), it says that one is wrong too.  However, since I can't access the account anymore, I can't get the ticket number to post on the FB wall.  Does anyone know how to find the ticket numbers?  Or that my account is quarantined for sure?

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened to me as well about 2 weeks ago. I logged in to my 11.5 year old account like normal, noticed a lot of np on hand (something I don't do when I'm done for the day), went to start my dailies by collecting my bank interest and noticed my bank account had been cleared out. Also, there were pending trades at the trading post with a bunch of junk items sitting in my active inventory. I notified TNT right away without touching anything except passwords and PIN. They froze my account which my friends can see is frozen, but to me just looks like I keep entering an invalid password.

So far, I've started a side account so that I can send the trouble ticket with proof of my account to TNT and access any further correspondence from them through there. I'm hoping it gets resolved soon, but I've heard it can take 2-3 months. Let's hope that's not true. I don't want to start all over again. I can handle having to rebuild my bank account - but my pets, avatars, stamps, trophies, etc...? No way. I'll quit first.

Wow, this sucks.  I am so sorry for you guys.  It sounds to me like they are targeting older accounts.  IDK if changing the shield, so that they can't see the age of the account, would help.  I have heard, IDK if it is true, but I have heard that they target accounts of people who haven't been online for a while.  Putting your account into stealth mode does NOT help as they also target those.  Just something I heard around different boards, don't know if it is true.  Good luck getting your accounts back.

It could be true, I had my account on Stealth plus I hadn't been able to come online for a few months. When I came back my account was hacked (pw and email changed, about 10 mil worth of petpets gone from my gallery, bank account cleared etc)

After I realized, I created a ticket and got my account back fairly quickly. But you need a lot of info to get it back and you need access to the e-mail adress that was registered before the hack. (They actually ask for proof that you have access to the e-mail address that you used when creating the account, but if you changed it a long time ago, lets say 10 years ago, then the 10 year old one is fine as well since they don't have the e-mail addresses from 15 years ago anymore, but they do have them from around 10 years ago.)

I had my original shield on my lookup, so when it was hacked it was a shield saying 141/2 years...

I still have the original shield, but I no longer use the Stealth mode.

So, update.

I received my main account back today!  I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I posted on this board, http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=157288695 andstarted to send daily ticket updates.  Hopefully it helps!

I also got back all of my NP (plus an extra 2 or 3 million for some reason that I plan on doing charitable things with).  Most of my stolen items were also returned, except for the red codestones, which may account for the extra NP.

So, update.

I received my main account back today!  I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I posted on this board, http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=157288695 andstarted to send daily ticket updates.  Hopefully it helps!

I also got back all of my NP (plus an extra 2 or 3 million for some reason that I plan on doing charitable things with).  Most of my stolen items were also returned, except for the red codestones, which may account for the extra NP.

Thanks for the link, I posted my ticket number there for three days and I got my account back today. I'm a very happy lady :happydance:

Hi...

I'm sad to say that logging in just now, I have found that overnight somebody hacked my 12.5 year-old account :(

Did you get your account back yet? I ask because, I just saw this thread, but my 15.5 main was jacked last month. I tried to login, and the password was wrong. I tried to request it, but it wouldn't let me. I'd hoped it was some kind of error with the site (even checked IsItDown). The next day the account was reading as iced. I put in a ticket then, but haven't heard anything back. Some people in this thread have gotten theirs back, and I'm hoping you have. It'd give me hope.

I still have a 12.5 gallery account (back when we didn't have galleries, ha!) but it doesn't have any of my hard work. It's slow going and kind of depressing. I have my fingers crossed for my main, but I've heard so many stories about people just NEVER getting them back. :(

I haven't gotten my account back yet, but I'm going to look into that board you posted raelilphil. I was always in stealth mode, but played on my account routinely. My shield wasn't covered up, but who knows? I've heard that a server was compromised and that a lot of people's accounts were affected. That might account for the delay, but I hope they get it resolved soon.

Last time my account got hacked I simply stopped playing neo for about two years. It super sucked and I was so upset I didn't even want to bother with getting everything back because there was just so much! I'm over it now lol but I'm glad at least some of you have had success getting items/accounts back. I also took my account off stealth since then, and also I've noticed now when I go to view a friend's profile page it has me submit proof that I'm not a robot/computer through recaptcha which I think is great. Makes me feel like they are actively fixing their security issues.