Spring Reminder: Change Your Password!

hrtbrk

As Jumpstaff addresses a security breach from 2012, all Neopians are being reminded to change their passwords on a regular basis.

Users who were also affected by the 2012 leak will be contacted to change their passwords if they haven't already done so in the past 4 years.

When choosing an account password, make sure it has different characters, numbers and letters. Also make sure your Neopets password is different per account and remains different from your email address password or MyTDN account.

For help, try our secure password generator or read up on password security!

cartwheel_mynci.gif

It is also a very good idea to have a PIN on EVERYTHING!!! If you don't have a PIN on your account it's wise to add one in. :)

can you explain what the leak's about? I mean, there was a time when i couldnt get on my main account, but I dont know if that was a kind of punishment for violating of any rules (though I can't think of any in that situation), but i dont remember the details nor the time, and i dont know if this is what it is about

can you explain what the leak's about? I mean, there was a time when i couldnt get on my main account, but I dont know if that was a kind of punishment for violating of any rules (though I can't think of any in that situation), but i dont remember the details nor the time, and i dont know if this is what it is about

Several years ago there was a breach of security and many account details were posted online, thus compromised. It's hard to tell if you were affected or not as about a year ago, some accounts were falsely locked out due a sever change.

Here is what TNT has to say about the security breach specifically. Please keep in mind this happened in 2012 and likely doesn't affect active users.

In order to be transparent with our players and fans, we want to inform you of recent reports that have come to our attention regarding an alleged data breach to our Neopets' account database in which a large amount of information from player accounts may have been leaked to third parties. To be clear, this is specific to the Usernames, Passwords, Email Addresses, Birthdates, and Countries tied to player accounts. It does NOT include credit card or payment information.

While we know news like this might be frustrating to our players to learn, we would like to assure all that this breach in security is linked to an incident that occurred in 2012, prior to JumpStart's acquisition of Neopets. In fact, account security has been elevated since Neopets joined the JumpStart family of games. After further investigation and some quick actions by our team, it is becoming clear that a number of the affected accounts are, in fact, inactive and in some cases have already been completely purged from our system.

Although, the impact of this database hack is limited to this single incident, we want all our players to know the facts surrounding these reports and also hope to encourage active players to take the necessary measures toward keeping their accounts secure. On our end, we plan to implement a password reset for all affected players (more info to come).

We appreciate your understanding and patience at this time and invite you to reach out to us through our normal support channels with any questions or concerns you might have regarding this incident or the security of your account. As a quick reminder to avoid facing any further account access related issues in the future, we recommend that you to never share account information to any parties beside TNT and that you keep your account information up to date, resetting your password regularly. Thank you.

http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=158037668

spacer.gif

Does this 2012 breach affect users who made their account years later.

As I understand it, someone hacked the database server in 2012 and stole login data. That means it was an incident back then. Everyone that made an account after that hack, or changed his/her login data since then would be safe.

It is also a very good idea to have a PIN on EVERYTHING!!! If you don't have a PIN on your account it's wise to add one in. :)

I have a PIN on everything, but I can't tell you how annoying it is when I'm pulling things out of my SDB and my stupid saved password for the site is different for some reason and won't change no matter how many times I erase my history and cookies lol

I have a PIN on everything, but I can't tell you how annoying it is when I'm pulling things out of my SDB and my stupid saved password for the site is different for some reason and won't change no matter how many times I erase my history and cookies lol

Which browser are you using? Most browsers offer to save your passwords, but do not necessarily store them in your cache/history. For example, in Firefox, click the three, horizontal lines in the top, right corner of the browser (Open menu). Next, click "Options". On the left, click "Security". On the right, under "Logins", click the "Saved Logins..." button. In the window, under "Logins for the following sites are stored on your computer:", look for Neopets (www.neopets.com). If found, click to highlight/select it, and click the "Remove" button. Close the tabs. Log off of Neopets, and then log back on. When logging back on, if it asks to remember your user name and password, let it, if you wish. Now, log off of Neopets, again. When you log back on, see if your saved user name and password lets you back on. If so, problem solved. Chrome and IE have similar ways.

As I understand it, someone hacked the database server in 2012 and stole login data. That means it was an incident back then. Everyone that made an account after that hack, or changed his/her login data since then would be safe.

Oh, man. That just about puts it at the end on Nickelodeon's ownership. It gets really scary to think about from there.

I had an account from the first few years of Neopets frozen around that time. When I contacted them about it, they said there was no email attached to it, (I was under 13 when I made it all that time ago), so I had no proof it was mine, even if I had the password and information about it. :thumbsdown:  It has since been purged and all lost.  :sad02: Since it was that old, it was mostly worthless, minus the age and UC pets, (Neopoints were hard to earn long ago), and my account now is used much more, but still... <_<

If the security breach happened in 2012, I wonder why we are only hearing about this now. Or were people aware of this before? 

I've gone through long periods of inactivity on neopets where I missed major stuff, but according to my lookup I participated in Daily Dare and the Altador Cup in 2012 so I must have been around neopets at least minimally at the time. I usually check the neopets news when I am on the site but I can't remember if I did in 2012.

Is this something that the neopets staff didn't put out any information on until 4 years after the event, or did I just miss it at the time?

Which browser are you using? Most browsers offer to save your passwords, but do not necessarily store them in your cache/history. For example, in Firefox, click the three, horizontal lines in the top, right corner of the browser (Open menu). Next, click "Options". On the left, click "Security". On the right, under "Logins", click the "Saved Logins..." button. In the window, under "Logins for the following sites are stored on your computer:", look for Neopets (www.neopets.com). If found, click to highlight/select it, and click the "Remove" button. Close the tabs. Log off of Neopets, and then log back on. When logging back on, if it asks to remember your user name and password, let it, if you wish. Now, log off of Neopets, again. When you log back on, see if your saved user name and password lets you back on. If so, problem solved. Chrome and IE have similar ways.

I learned something new today. I have websites remembered that I don't even need/use anymore. My computer just got a little spring cleaning done. Thanks for the tip!

I can't even get into my account

I get bad/invalid password, then on the 5th try i then get prompted for my birthdate too, at which point it times out and says i've tried too many times, and to try again in 59 minutes

partner can't access hers either

my brothers cant either, although one can sometimes

the only one i can log into is the side account i made in february

I can't even get into my account

I get bad/invalid password, then on the 5th try i then get prompted for my birthdate too, at which point it times out and says i've tried too many times, and to try again in 59 minutes

partner can't access hers either

my brothers cant either, although one can sometimes

the only one i can log into is the side account i made in february

I highly suggest that each of you submit a ticket on a side account and provide as much information to TNT as you can. A lot of people are getting locked out because of this leak and are getting their accounts back rather quickly. If you cannot submit a ticket then email them at [email protected] and also you can poke them on Facebook with your ticket number.