Account Compromised

I am so upset this morning. I can't login to my account and I was just on it last night. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and this morning I cant login. And of course this happens right after I bid on the chokato card for the avy that TDN was lending me. I am SO angry. I'm a premium member too and I put in a ticket but I'm worried that when I get it back it will be completely cleaned out. I put a lot of work into that account and I'm super discouraged.

Has anyone else had this happen? How long does it take neopets to respond?

Sorry to hear that.  :(  I've never had it happen, but I'm curious, did you have a PIN on everything?  That really is a smart additional safeguard.

Unfortunately no. I didn't see the need for it until today when I started reading all of these horror stories. There will be a pin on everything I can put one on from now on.

If it's any consolation, the account still exists, which means it hasn't been deleted at least. I'm sorry you're having trouble, best of luck!

Thank you. All my pets are still there too so I'm hoping TNT will fix it and the damage will be minimal. I just won't know until they give it back to me. I'm wondering if maybe it didn't get hacked but TNT temporarily froze it because of my 3.5 mil trade that I bid on? That's completely out of the ordinary for me. 

Your account has not been frozen, so if you're having troubles logging in then I would send in a ticket to TNT on a side account or email them directly at [email protected] with enough information about your account to prove that you are the owner so they can reset your login details. But first I would try resetting your password and see if that helps.

Your account has not been frozen, so if you're having troubles logging in then I would send in a ticket to TNT on a side account or email them directly at [email protected] with enough information about your account to prove that you are the owner so they can reset your login details. But first I would try resetting your password and see if that helps.

I sent in a ticket. I went on Neopet's Facebook and they posted the following yesterday:

In order to be transparent with our players and fans, we want to inform you of recent reports that have come to our attention regarding an alleged data breach to our Neopets’ account database in which a large amount of information from player accounts may have been leaked to third parties. To be clear, this is specific to the Usernames, Passwords, Email Addresses, Birthdates, and Countries tied to player accounts. It does NOT include credit card or payment information.

While we know news like this might be frustrating to our players to learn, we would like to assure all that this breach in security is linked to an incident that occurred in 2012, prior to JumpStart’s acquisition of Neopets. In fact, account security has been elevated since Neopets joined the JumpStart family of games. After further investigation and some quick actions by our team, it is becoming clear that a number of the affected accounts are, in fact, inactive and in some cases have already been completely purged from our system.

Although, the impact of this database hack is limited to this single incident, we want all our players to know the facts surrounding these reports and also hope to encourage active players to take the necessary measures toward keeping their accounts secure. On our end, we plan to implement a password reset for all affected players (more info to come).

We appreciate your understanding and patience at this time and invite you to reach out to us through our normal support channels with any questions or concerns you might have regarding this incident or the security of your account. As a quick reminder to avoid facing any further account access related issues in the future, we recommend that you to never share account information to any parties beside TNT and that you keep your account information up to date, resetting your password regularly. Thank you.

I have a feeling this may have something to do with it. I just started playing again at the beginning of this year after a long hiatus and never changed my password after returning.

I also saw this, on Neopets' Facebook page, in response to a customer who didn't play in years, but just got back onto their account, and then wasn't able to login, a day or so, later:

"Hi, All - If your password is not being recognized when you attempt to login, there is the chance that you are being affected by the password reset that we've added as a precaution for affected accounts from the 2012 data breach. As mentioned we are doing a password reset for any account that was created before 2012 and that has not experienced a password reset in a number of years. In those cases when you attempt to login even with the correct password, you will be denied access and given the chance to to reset you password. After selecting to do this, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to complete the process. However, just to note, this can only be completed through the email address that you have registered with us. Hope that helps!"

So, as you mentioned you started playing on Neopets again, it could be your account was one affected by the 2012 data breach. If you get the option to reset your password, you might want to give it a try. If you no longer have the original email address you signed up with Neopets, then you might want to add that to your support ticket, if you haven't already. Good thing you opened a support ticket, too. Hope you get everything resolved.

Me too. It's very discouraging since that is my main and the one that I was working on to make all shiny with trophies and avatars. Especially bad timing because finals were last week so I have much more time on my hands that could have been used for account improvements. Here's to hoping Neo gets to my ticket quicker because I'm a premium member. (I'm not holding my breath)