Can't categorize items in gallery

duonobaka

Anyone else running into this issue?

Details:

I've a possibly overly categorized gallery: http://www.neopets.com/gallery/?gu=duonobaka

Before yesterday, though, I've had no issues putting items in their correct categories. Now, though, it won't move them.

When I go to uncategorized items (http://www.neopets.com/gallery/?view=uncat), this is what I see:

e4a305e250.png

As usual, I categorize:

76227bc598.png

Hit submit...

And it takes me right back to the View Uncategorized page, with all of them still sitting there. :sick02:

Same thing is happening to me :thumbsdown: ...same deal where I've never had an issue until today. I literally went back and forth between categorizing and ranking in categories like 20 times..thought I was going crazy not finding my item, only to find it had been uncategorized again.

I have been working on my gallery quite a bit the past few days and I haven't run into this issue.  I would give it a couple of days, go back to it, make sure you restart your computer, clear your cache, and if you are STILL having the same issue, contact TNT.  Good luck.

I was told of a work around for the categorizing items issue - use Quick Categorize. I'm not a big fan of it, since it takes a ton of time longer (especially here on very, very spotty and slow DSL), but it does work, and they are "sticking" in their correct categories.

I noticed the ranking thing myself.

I took a peek at the page coding, and noticed something odd - the numbers in some of the forms hidden forms are not matching the rank numbers in the visible form region.

<input type=text name=rank_arr[37409] value='10' size=3 class='sf glry_rank' data-new_rank='n' > 
<input type=hidden name=rank_arr_item[37409] value='0' data-prv_rank='n' size=3 class=sf>

Is a perfect example.

The rank numbers will change when you refresh the page, too.

I noticed something else laughably broken - the form fields are not always matching up to the correct item, and in some cases, the item ID is missing from them entirely.

What is broken on several pages is this:

There is an array that is generated on each page that matches the item to the form's list of ID's. For example, what should be on each page is a list that looks like this (very, very truncated - my gallery has 1065 items in it atm):

file_arr[1050]='plu_shy_blue_chia';
oii_arr[1050]=72878;
file_arr[1051]='plu_disco_acara';
oii_arr[1051]=72923;
file_arr[1052]='plu_blue_babaa';
oii_arr[1052]=73016;
file_arr[1053]='plu_cloud_xweetok';
oii_arr[1053]=73017;
file_arr[1054]='plu_pirate_lenny';
oii_arr[1054]=73145;

These lists are not being generated on all pages, and on some pages it is being generated, but like my list above, its truncated and missing items. Because they are not, the massive amount of JavaScript that the gallery relies on cannot do its job - in the case of ranking, the numbers get mixed up because they do not match, or are missing.

In the case of categorizing on all but the Quick categorize (Ha. Hahaha. The slow categorize page...) the process form page they use cannot do anything because that array is not there, at all.

My hope is that someone at TNT has been attempting to fix the gallery issues that have been affecting some of us, and broke something. My other hope is that TNT reads these forums, sees this thread, and now has an idea of what they need to do to fix what they broke.

Fixing what is wrong here would actually be very simple, and would not take much time to accomplish.

I really do wish they would take the community up on the several offers they have received of assistance in fixing things that are broken. Personally, I have 12 years of professional experience in PHP, HTML, and JavaScript, and 8 years of experience with jQuery, and would work for them for free to help fix the site, because I do love Neopets. Neopets is what started my passion for programming when I originally started playing in 2000 - I wanted to make a Pet Page and couldn't find anything back then that "fit" my pet, so I used their HTML tutorial to start figuring things out. <3

Wow duonobaka that was extremely thorough =O and the quick categorize tip worked!!!...really though they need you lol, especially considering they were your first inspiration. You would be totally dedicated! XP

Wow duonobaka that was extremely thorough =O and the quick categorize tip worked!!!...really though they need you lol, especially considering they were your first inspiration. You would be totally dedicated! XP

Sorry if it was too thorough, I've been accused of that a few times, lol.

As an update, I did something weird and read the current NP Editorial, let me quote the relevant part:

Hi! Some have noticed a couple of small things fixed around the site. Thank you! I was wondering if it would be possible for a staff member to maybe post a list on the TNT board or the "Coming Soon" page, or elsewhere, as to what's on the agenda to be fixed and what has been fixed? If you cannot list what you're working on, then maybe at least update us when you've fixed something so we know you're still out there working hard? :P Please remove my username. ~ username removed

Hi! Good eye my friend, we did push a batch of fixes live yesterday. Some more tweaks to Trudy's Surprise to get that working perfectly were done, as well as improvements to ranking gallery items, naming/renaming categories, quick removing multiple items from your gallery, and the neomail event updates. The "Return All" option for NC gifts got some updates too! Enjoy y'all!

Apparently, their "improvements" broke things - considering that ranking and removing items is almost completely broken.

Currently ranking items by 1.1, 1.2 and so on does not work correctly. Instead of changing the rank numbers so that "1, 1.1, 2, 2.1, 2.2" becomes "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" and the following items get incremented to "6, 7, 8" and so on, what you end up with is "1, 1, 2, 2, 2".

Removing items is very chancy, too. I lost track of certain plushies I already had, and ended up with, for example, two Fire Acara Plushies and two Pirate Poogle Plushies yesterday.

Well... I removed the two duplicates from my gallery. The extra Pirate Poogle Plushie disappeared entirely, while I ended up still having two Fire Acara Plushies in my gallery - and another one in my inventory. That happened a few times yesterday. So far, it hasn't happened at all today.

This might be related to gallery size/item count. My gallery size is 230, with 1,126 unique items in it.

I created a side account and used the 2500NPs it gives you as a new player to make a size 5 gallery, and traded the account 25 random items.

I have no issues using any of the gallery pages on the side account - all of the categorize pages and removal pages work, though ranking still does not work correctly.

Quick question: are we allowed to have a gallery on side accounts? I have no problems closing that account if we're not, but not having a side account, I'm unsure on the rules regarding having a gallery on sides.

As an update:

They fixed categorizing: Quick Categorize, the other categorize, and "View Uncategorized" (my favorite one :P) work properly. Going into a category and moving an item from one to another with the dropdowns is also working properly.

Ranking items is still semi-broken:

You can rank items by manually sorting them and adjusting the numbers, but ranking with "1.1, 1.2, 1.3" etc still does not work. It still makes them all "1, 1, 1".

I'm weeping inside because some of my categories have over 100 items in them, and I sort those ones alphabetically. I wish we could have more than 20 categorizes so I could break down the categories with a ton of items further, it would make sorting them so much easier.

Its a shame that they don't seem to read or listen to suggestions much: they use jQuery on the site, and jQuery can do some amazing things.

One of them is drag and drop/re-arranging of items.

Ranking would be fantastic if we could drag and drop things around to sort. <3

This post has been edited by a member of staff (.Brianna.) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.