Another comic legend has passed. :(

Aquamentis12

I just learned of this.... and it is so sad. :( One of my favorite comics, Gene Wilder, has died. Apparently due to complications from Alzheimer's. :(

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/08/29/gene-wilder-star-willy-wonka-is-dead-at-83.html

Coincidentally, I just got in from some errands, where I HAPPENED to see a dvd of his movie with Richard Pryor (one of several they did together), See no Evil, Hear no Evil.

It's sad that he's gone now, but, since he was battling Alzheimer's I can't be too sad... I mean, that stuff is brutal. My late grandfather had dementia, but not Alz, which is worse. So, at least Mr. Wilder isn't suffering anymore, and he's probably got those skies above howling with laughter already. He was such a funny person, and such a great entertainer.

He will definitely be missed. :(

I'm so sad! I LOVE Gene Wilder! Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of my favorite movies. Just last weekend it was on TV and my boyfriend and I were saying how there is no one that could have been a better original Willy Wonka. I just can't believe he passed. I hope he's at peace, and now he's with Gilda. <3 

When I married my husband, I told him he'd only have to worry about me leaving him for two men: Mel Brooks, and Gene Wilder. I knew it had to happen soon, they're both getting on, but it's always a sad shock to hear someone you grew up with (via film or other) has died. :(

When I married my husband, I told him he'd only have to worry about me leaving him for two men: Mel Brooks, and Gene Wilder. I knew it had to happen soon, they're both getting on, but it's always a sad shock to hear someone you grew up with (via film or other) has died. :(

For those who haven't seen Blazing Saddles, it's a must see. Mel Brooks co-wrote, directed and co-starred in that. Gene is in a supporting role with Cleavon Little as a black sheriff in the Old West. Be prepared for a lot of non-PC racial humor. But that's part of it's appeal, it makes fun of everybody. It probably couldn't be made today because of the daring comedy style more often seen in edgy stand-up acts.

One of the great things about Wonka is the moral messages in it, and the happy ending. I can't imagine anyone else playing him as well. He will be missed.

I was gutted when I read that he had passed. Young Frankenstein has always been my favorite Halloween movie...and don't get me started on Blazing Saddles and Willy Wonka. :crying_blow:
One of my favorite quotes (and it's on the wall o' quotes in my art studio) is from him: "That's all I wanted: for someone to look at me and listen to me, but in some beautiful and artistic way." </3 He will be sorely missed.

When I first read this, I thought it was about someone with comic books, but either way it is of concern to me. Ialso grew up watching films starring Gene, I love Young Frankenstein and of course Willy Wonka, but my favorite is actually his portrayal of the fox in The Little Prince. Not as big or well kown roll, but I always loved the story as a kid and still do. I love every version, however that movie has a special place for me and his portrayal was so heartfelt and beautiful.

I also think it's true he is with Gilda. I don't think he really ever got over her loss. I think they are soulmates, so now they are together =')

Apparently Mr. Wilder was either diagnosed, or went public about it 3 years ago. I saw something floating around online that he didn't tell his fans right away because he didn't want to disappoint them, or see one less smile on their faces.

After I saw that, I decided that I won't be sad enough to frown when I watch one of his movies, or think about him being gone. Now if I happen to not be smiling at the time before I think about his passing, that's different. LOL But knowing he didn't want his fans to be sad because he was sick, it makes it easier to smile instead. In a way, it may not be knowing what his last wishes were, but it was his wish when he was diagnosed. So smiling and enjoying the body of work he left us, is honoring one of his wishes.

Willy Wonka was good, Silver Streak was really funny. My late dad always, for some reason, got a kick out of when he'd depart the train, and shout out that line I can't say here. LOL For some reason Dad just loved that reaction.

I didn't know this until recently, but apparently his supporting role in The Producers, was his breakout part. It's cool if you've seen the Mathew Broderick and Nathan Lane remake, but you can't beat the original from the 60s! It was hilarious!

I saw mention of Blazing Saddles, also good! Young Frankenstein was great! Though it wasn't until a few years ago I learned WHY the lighting flashed and the horses whinnied in terror at the name of that one German character's name...  (Sorry I don't recall how to spell it), but apparently the translation is something like Glue Factory, or something... lol So of course horses would be terrified!

One of my Dad's favorites, and I DO have to agree with him, was The Frisco Kid. It's a western, and Mr. Wilder plays a Polish Rabbi, off to the West to marry and teach. There are many adventures along the way that are pretty darn funny! Oh and not as an afterthought, but Harrison Ford co-stars. They played really well off of each other. My dad liked almost anything that was a "western", but I gotta agree with him on this one, that it's very funny!

• 4 weeks later...

Those two were already on the schedule as part of TCM's slapstick comedy spotlight this month.

They also scheduled a tribute night after his death. It's Thursday night and includes the same two movies, along with Start the Revolution Without Me, Bonnie and Clyde, and an interview TCM produced a few years back.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1255927%7C0/TCM-Remembers-Gene-Wilder-9-29.html