hellllppp! i can not play games!

kathy tee

Laptop died, had to get new one with Windows 10, running google chrome.  The flash player is not compatible to Neo!!  SURELY someone else has had this problem.. How do I solve it!???!!  I'm reallllllly panicing - having Neopets withdrawal symptoms!  Thanks for any suggestions   :sad01_anim:

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (.Brianna.).

This topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from 'Neopets General Chat' to 'Neopets Help'.

I'm not sure if mine is the same problem, but when I try to load games, all I see is the black screen in the box, and the thing inside just spins and spins. No game. I gave up trying after several attempts. I did play Fashion Fever and Catch the Petpet this morning with no problems but they don't load now either. :shiftyeyes_anim:

So, last month, starting with Chrome version 53, "Chrome will de-emphasize Flash in favor of HTML5" and "Today, more than 90% of Flash on the web loads behind the scenes to support things like page analytics. This kind of Flash slows you down, and starting this September, Chrome 53 will begin to block it." (ref: https://chrome.googleblog.com/2016/08/flash-and-chrome.html).

Although Neopets is slowly moving towards HTML5 (think Trudy's Surprise and the newest game, AAA's Revenge), it still uses Flash. It is possible Chrome users are being affected by this. Here are some suggestions:

Clear Chrome's cache, history and temporary Internet files. Believe it or not, it sometimes helps. Please note, if you are a Kass Basher player, this will cause you to be reset to the loaf of bread and clear your distance marks.

If that didn't help, check to see if Chrome is up-to-date. With Chrome, Flash is "built-in". It is only updated with Chrome updates. Some browsers will block, by default, out of date plugins. To check, click the three vertical "dots" in the right corner of Chrome. Select Help, then About Google Chrome. It will display your current version and if it is up-to-date, or if there is an update available. If the latter, update. Chrome should close and then reopen. If not, save any work, and close and reopen it. Try Neopets again.

If Chrome is up-to-date, or Neopets still doesn't work properly, look to the address bar, to the left of the "refresh" icon (curved arrow). If you see a puzzle piece icon, with a red "X", then a plugin is being blocked. Click on the puzzle piece and it should give you the option to allow or enable the plugin.

If you didn't see the puzzle piece icon, or enabling it didn't work, manually check if Flash is being blocked. Click on the three vertical dots, but select Settings. Scroll down to the very bottom and click on "Show advanced settings...". It will expand more options. Look for Privacy and click on the Content settings... button. Under Plugins, the default is Detect and run important plugin content (recommended). If you have it set to something else, it could cause Flash to be blocked. To test, change it to the default, open and close you browser and try Neopets again. If it works, you may want to make an exception for Neopets, by going back, changing it back to what you had and click Manage exceptions. "Allow" [*.]Neopets.com. For security reasons, I understand, why this may have been changed.

If still no luck, type chrome://plugins/ in the address bar, and enter. This will show installed plugins in Chrome. Look for Adobe Flash Player. If you see "Enable" instead of "Disable", then Flash is disabled. Click "Enable" to allow Flash.

If still no luck, it is possible another plugin could be blocking Flash. Plugins that block javascript (like no script for Firefox), and hide browsing/not track (like Ghostry) could block Flash content. At this point I'd recommend disabling one plugin at a time, and retrying Neopets. If you disable a plugin and Neopets works, then the last plugin or the plugin you disabled is causing the issue. Look to see if the plugin allows you to make exceptions, and, if so, add neopets.com.

If you disabled all other plugins and Flash still doesn't work, then I am out of ideas. Might want to clear cache, history and temp Internet files again, and try Neopets again. You could try uninstalling, rebooting, and then install Chrome back onto your computer. Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

lakecat, I will respond what I think the issue may be, but will have to do so later.

Thanks Scoobert_Doo. I usually use Firefox on this (and most) sites. I may switch to Chrome someday. I was able to play those 2 quick games I mentioned above this morning on Firefox without any changes. However, I will read and analyze what you wrote later, because it may help me on another game site I'm having trouble with just recently. Since you are a lot more tech savvy than I am, I may be sending you a PM about it later. :D

Thanks for the post Soobert! Tried everything except the clearing of the cache, history, and temp internet files to no avail. I guess I'll have to try that. My problem is the same as described by Lakecat, but I do use chrome. Curious to know if you ever figured it out?

...My problem is the same as described by Lakecat, but I do use chrome. Curious to know if you ever figured it out?

If you are asking me, I haven't had time to do everything he mentioned yet. I may have a different problem(s). For example, I noticed that I had trouble playing Carnival of Terror. It was just too hard for me to move the cursor around fast enough. I'm also seeing a slow cursor problem on another game site this week.