How to find the cheapest price in Neopia?

sylphrenai

Hey all, I've gotten back into playing after over a decade away so I apologize if this is common sense.. But I was wondering how I would go about finding the actual cheapest price for an item? I realize now that Shop Wizard doesn't actually give you the lowest price and upwards, it seems to go by first letter of username or some other random order. Are there any websites that help out with this? Or do you guys have any tips if there isn't? 

When using the Shop Wizard there's no real way of finding the cheapest price. You can get within the ball park of the cheapest price with a lot of refreshing. What I tend to do when I'm searching for lets say a stamp on the shop wizard, I'll check Jellyneo to see what their price history for that item is to give me a starting point on what to look for. Then I'll start using the shop wizard. I will open up the cheapest shop in a new tab and continue refreshing about 10-15 times or until I find a cheaper price then my current shop tab. When I find a cheaper price, I continue to search for another 10-15 times and if afterwards I can't find anything cheaper and this shop has the item priced within or lower then Jellyneo's history I will then buy the item.

The only other way to for certain get the cheapest price on the shop wizard is to be a premium member and use the super shop wizard.

Super helpful response, thanks :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Another thing to remember: when posting in this forum, you have to have at least 7 words in your reply, or maybe enough letters. I guess yours works. :) (I'm sure a moderator can reply with the correct number)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not backseat moderate. You may report a post at it's bottom left and a moderator will take care of the problem.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

When using the Shop Wizard there's no real way of finding the cheapest price. You can get within the ball park of the cheapest price with a lot of refreshing. What I tend to do when I'm searching for lets say a stamp on the shop wizard, I'll check Jellyneo to see what their price history for that item is to give me a starting point on what to look for. Then I'll start using the shop wizard. I will open up the cheapest shop in a new tab and continue refreshing about 10-15 times or until I find a cheaper price then my current shop tab. When I find a cheaper price, I continue to search for another 10-15 times and if afterwards I can't find anything cheaper and this shop has the item priced within or lower then Jellyneo's history I will then buy the item.

The only other way to for certain get the cheapest price on the shop wizard is to be a premium member and use the super shop wizard.

I do it pretty similarly to the way Mouseykins does.  Check with JellyNeo, refresh the shop wizard a bunch of times, open in a separate tab the shop I've seen cheapest so far, keep refreshing. 

The thing to be aware of is, the Shop Wizard checks the shops in alphabetic pairs.  So it always checks shops that start with the letters 'A' and 'N' together.  It does 'B' and 'O' together, and 'C' and 'P' together, and you get the drift (just split the alphabet in half between 'M' and 'N' and pair that way).  So because there are 26 letters in the alphabet, with 13 pair sets, there are 13 different sets of results that I want to see if I'm trying to find the absolute cheapest.  I don't just mean I refreshed 13 times, because often you'll get shown a pairing you've seen before.  I got to the stage where I had a grid drawn up with all the alphabetic pairings written down the left side, and then I would write down what the cheapest result in each pairing was and keep refreshing until I had the cheapest in every single pairing written down and then make my decision.  Talk about time consuming! 

And then, just to confuse things, sometimes the shops begin with numbers or underscore.  They also match a pair set, but they are less common.  It's just, if the only result that came up began with a number or with underscore, I'd have to try and work out which pair set that result represented.  Not to mention if there are no results for an item.  Does that mean there are no results in one pair set or possibly more pair sets?  Who knows?  The problem is that you could refresh 30 times and the shop wiz might still have only shown you 9 of the possible 13 pair sets.  Which is why I started writing them down.  So that I would be able to say, "I've been refreshing like mad, and I've still not seen the 'G' and 'T' pair set, and who knows but they might be vastly cheaper?"

It became far too much work and effort.  I want to be able to buy the cheapest, but not at the cost of my sanity.  If anyone else has a better way of doing it (that isn't premium with the Super Shop Wiz), I'd love to hear about it!

The thing to be aware of is, the Shop Wizard checks the shops in alphabetic pairs.

I never knew this! I know that if I refresh the SW a few times I'm bound to find cheaper price, but seeing from the random searching mechanism, the categorical thing is a clever way to add to the random result they throw us. I commend you for making alphabetical list :O