Default Gender?

miru

Is the default gender for newly created accounts "male"? Or did I just miss that box when I signed up (and male was the first option in the dropdown menu...which is essentially the same as having it as the default gender)? I definitely don't remember setting myself as male, and then when I posted my intro I looked at my profile summary box and noticed that it said "Gender: Male" and basically thought "0____o oh no no no no no".

It's not that big of a deal to me personally, and I went and fixed it right away, but it raises kind of a bigger question. Some people would be pretty seriously offended by having the default gender be male (yeah, I'm friends with a fair number of people who go to a women's college....woo feminism...also, transgendered folk probably wouldn't appreciate either). Is it possible to have Not Telling be the default instead?

Sorry if this is just caused by me accidentally misclicking something :-/

It appears a gender selection box is missing from our registration form - we'll see about adding it or changing the forum default. :yes:

I am unsure but I always thought that the default for any site was something along the lines of 'not telling' which would put the 'Gender: ____' as being blank. With that said, there is a difference in what gender represents. But that's a discussion for another day.

Hi all; this has been resolved. The gender field has been added to the registration form and it defaults to Not Telling if the user skips over selecting a gender.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (TJ).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact TJ if you have any questions regarding this action.