Books

m3l3ana

Well I decided that I like reading and I know people on here like reading too, so lets have a topic about books!! Talk about the books you have read or want to read, liked, disliked, comment on them (but don't give away too much) etc.

At the moment I am reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are six books in the series so far and I think she is coming out with a 7th in 2009 (but not 100% sure). I also have been reading up on the net about it and it looks like they may be making it into a movie or a mini-series!! But I am also not 100% sure if that is going through, by the looks of what I have seen it looks like they have already looked at people to cast.

So lets get talking :yes:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last book I've read is The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. It's quite interesting but I don't fancy the first book of the series, Northern Lights(The Golden Compass)

Oh out of time so bye!

Oh yay! Books! The last book I read was "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyers....it's the third in the series. First is "Twilight", second is "New Moon", the third "Eclipse" as I said, and the last book will be out August 2nd and it's called "Breaking Dawn". Can't wait till it's out! Great books, don't want to ruin them for anyone (I know of two people reading them that are on TDN) so I won't say much more than I loved them!

I haven't read much really as I haven't been reading (for fun) for long and I don't really know of a lot of books - I mean, I don't know of the latest one's out or I don't just hear about them the way you might hear about films or music (Am I making sense? *lol*).

Anyway, I recently got 3 crime type books (for £4, woo! ^_^ ) and I started reading the one I thought I'd enjoy the least. It's "A season for the dead" by David Hewson. I'm finding it a little difficult to read as it's set in Italy so has a lot of Italian names and stuff and so I'm not always sure what they're eating, where they're going, etc ^_^ But I am quite enjoying it anyway :)

Books I've read in the past and really enjoyed include -

"A perfect evil" by Alex Kava - There's a few other books out that continue from/are linked to this one so I'm looking out for them :)

There's also a A-Z of books out by an author, Sue Grafton, and I've read one which I loved, but would prefer to read them in order so I'm currently trying to locate all of them ^_^

I've read about half of the Sherlock Holmes stories so must get back to reading the rest of them sometime! :)

Actually, to be honest I've enjoyed every book I've read so far. There's been about 5 that I haven't kept, but I still did enjoy reading them at the time.

BOOKS <3

Some of my favorite books are from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney (great series...more kid-oriented, but whatever :D)

A few others include How NOT to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler, Finding Normal by Leslie Connor (still reading that one) and The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono.

Yeah, that's it for now. I don't know if I should have included graphic novels, but whatever :P

Yeah, that's it for now. I don't know if I should have included graphic novels, but whatever :P

In my mind, they should count and so should manga. Manga is my favorite kind of book to read. I have all 23 volumes of the Bleach manga. Um, did I just hear Levy's jaw drop?

Aside from that, the last book I read "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". That's right...I read Harry Potter, and I'm fine with that.

Well, let's see what on my bookshelf is fit for younger audiences...

I'm finally reading L'Engle's Wringle in Time trilogy. I don't think I would have fully appreciated it as a kid. They're wonderful books, full of very human fears and joys put into words in a masterful way. Excellent storytelling.

Elizabeth Peters' latest mysteries. They're all good. I'm a couple of books behind, though. Need to go buy the latest stuff.

I'm reading the His Dark Materials trilogy and rather enjoying it. Disclaimer: I think I'm more than old enough to separate reality from fantasy here, and it's an interesting tale. It's not for little kids, and any younger readers here that are of the religious type should probably discuss it with their parents first and, as with any work of fiction, keep in mind that it's just that: fiction.

Books by Terry Pratchett, Tad Williams, and Gregory Maguire occupy my bedside table as well. I'm reading about 12 books right now, but the darker themes of some of them aren't fit for the kids here, so I'll skip those.

i finally finished the harry potter series(did anyone else read and LOVE those books?)

i also need to read the last book of series of unfortunate events before i finish them too.

also, a few years ago i read the Happy Hollister series. they are kinda old and for little kids, but their pretty good. their a mystery series. i've read all but the 12th, and the last 5.

Some of my favorite books are from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney (great series...more kid-oriented, but whatever :D)

oh i read that on funbrain.com last year, it's really good.

Aside from that, the last book I read "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". That's right...I read Harry Potter, and I'm fine with that.

that's the 6th one right? didn't the ending just mess you up? is so sad... just wait until you read the last one. i read it all in one night, i couldn't put it down.

i love harry potter i grew up with those books. i am so sad that there are not going to be anymore adventures with harry, ron, hermine, nevil, and draco

That may or may not be true. The grapevine says that approximately 5 years after the publication of "Deathly Hallows", JK Rowling will pen an eighth book that takes place ten years after they leave Hogwarts. An intriguing rumor to be sure, and I, for one, would love to see it pan out.

Btw, I finally got my avie for this place. It's my red gelert, ChadSado_47.

That may or may not be true. The grapevine says that approximately 5 years after the publication of "Deathly Hallows", JK Rowling will pen an eighth book that takes place ten years after they leave Hogwarts. An intriguing rumor to be sure, and I, for one, would love to see it pan out.

that honestly to me makes no sense. :eh: why would they come out with another one when they finished the whole idea of all of the books(kiling voldemort)? what would the new book be about?

JKR seemed so adamant that she wasn't going to write another Harry book. I'm thinking it's more a hopeful wish than truth. Not that I wouldn't read it if it did happen, of course!

JKR seemed so adamant that she wasn't going to write another Harry book. I'm thinking it's more a hopeful wish than truth. Not that I wouldn't read it if it did happen, of course!

i know i would read it too but still...?

Well I bought the first two books in the Outlander Series "Cross Stitch" and "Dragonfly in Amber" very interesting, going to buy the others this week :D Now I am facinated with the Jacobite Rising and the Battle in Culloden in 1745/46.

Yup I read Harry Potter and fell in love with them!! Kind of sucks that there are not going to be anymore, but it had to end one day and I kind of figured out the ending in the sixth book :yes: I have also heard the JKR is looking at writing a book about their lives after etc, but don't really see the point and think it will be kind of an overkill, although in saying that I would still read it.

I have been looking for other series to buy and read and am looking into series buy Gemma Doyle, V.C Andrews and Jude Deveraux anyone read any of their books?

I started reading the Witch of Portobello but stopped for unknown reasons without finishing the book. I also got The Alchemist but haven't read it yet. I've read 2 of other of Coelho's books but they're all so intence! lol I can't read them all the time.

I remember I cried after reading The Outsiders (don't remember the author anymore). I mean literally cried like a baby, tears flowing like a waterfall. I just ordered new manga to cheer me up tho. ^^

The last books I read were:

Dramarama by E. Lockhart

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

The Red Tent by Anita Damant

I just recently finished Eldest. Very excellent book, waiting for the third book to come out. Hooray for trilogies! xD

Oh yay! Books! The last book I read was "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyers....it's the third in the series. First is "Twilight", second is "New Moon", the third "Eclipse" as I said, and the last book will be out August 2nd and it's called "Breaking Dawn". Can't wait till it's out! Great books, don't want to ruin them for anyone (I know of two people reading them that are on TDN) so I won't say much more than I loved them!

I love those books!! I too, have read them all and I am syked for Breaking Dawn to come out and the movie. Now you know of 3 people on TDN who read them.

I had difficulty finding the fourth Outlander book Drus of Autumn so ended up buying Killing Floor by Lee Child. It is the first book where is introduces his character Jack Reacher. It is supposed to be a thriller and it did sort of leave me guessing a little. Sort of a light read and an alright book, not sure if I will carry on with the series or not :S Might try the second book and see how I go. At the moment am onto the fourth book in the Outlander Series, Drums of Autumn!!! Not getting much reading done lately though :(

Looking into reading the Northern Lights, was it any good? I have seen the movie, but everyone says it is a lot different!!!

Looking into reading the Northern Lights, was it any good? I have seen the movie, but everyone says it is a lot different!!!

The book is far, far, far better than the movie (movies adapted from books are almost always inferior to the original book :P ). I'd highly recommend the whole trilogy actually. :yes:

I'm currently reading several of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books (they are awesome) but as mentioned earlier, those might not be so appropriate for younger readers. As for books I'm looking forward to reading (listed from not-so-good to best, as per my own expectations):

• Maximum Ride: The Final Warning
  • Brisingr (third book in the Inheritance Cycle)
  • I Shall Wear Midnight (upcoming Discworld book)
  • Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox