Why RI won

yisliu

Every year that the Altador Cup has run, it was always impossible for a team to repeat a win. For example, DC won last year and this year couln't even make top 4. Why is this?

Neopets has shown that it is not the largest team of players that win. However, it is much closer to either the average score per player or maybe comparing median scores. Median scores are much more likely because of the number of draws. However, regardless, it shows why a first place team never wins again because new players want to join a team proven to win. Mob mentality. New players however can't play that many games and win with a large margin. They bring down a team rather than hel it to future success.

Now how does his affect RI and KI? Well, Neopets never prevented someone from joiing a team if they were not on team. They ONLY prevented people from swithing. Switching probably would even it out because someone like KI(the staff) last year might have switched from Maraqua bcause it was not a top team. However that said, new players were notbarred the chance to partcipate. Many players who are new and joined during the 4 days of finals "most likely" joined KI because they were seeded first. Most people tend to join the best team. What this did was increase the amount of new players. New players tend to not pay much since if they played alot, they would have joined in the beggining. This dropped the avg score and median score because most new players probably only played 1 or 2 games a day.

This can even be correlated to an earlier event this year. In the first 5 days of the event, RI was first. However, they subsequently dropped to 2nd. This I think was ue to the same effec. New players joining RI causing RI's average to decrease a little, this allowed KI to take the lead. However, by the middle new players saw that thre were finals. They probably made the plan to join after finals to be garanteed in joining a winning team. Thus, during Day 6 to the finals, KI kept their lead and extended it a bt due to RI being a little weaker. By finals, those palyers quickly joined the 1st seeded teams and helped influence the outcome.

Remember, this is just my speculation.

~yisliu

Guest Krawk Islander

Then please explain why DC was first the entire championship and still got 1st in the finals, with a lot of switching.

And another thing: runner up always get first next year. ;)

Many players who are new and joined during the 4 days of finals "most likely" joined KI because they were seeded first. Most people tend to join the best team. What this did was increase the amount of new players. New players tend to not pay much since if they played alot, they would have joined in the beginning. This dropped the avg score and median score because most new players probably only played 1 or 2 games a day.

You are incorrect here. I heard about this on the board near the end of the DRR.

If you went to to join a team, It would randomly select a team for you. I seen a few people wanting to join LD on the 28th day, But joined Brightvale due to TNT random ways.

^^^ Really??? o_O That is actually a pretty good idea from TNT, it would avoid exactly what yisliu is spectulating,

Also saying RI only won because loads of people joined KI and ruined their average is kinda sore loserish.

Like what i said before, your theory must be wrong. The reason why RI won is because we are a strong team. Not being the stronger team got weakened.

Also another reason why its incorrect. You say, when RI was 1st and loads of people joined them (which lowered their average) and made them drop to 2nd. How did we beat KI on both occasions then.

Its great that you're coming in with theories/speculations, But this was is wrong.

^^^ Is it true though Paul?? I am proud that RI won, even though I support KI!! RI was a great compeditor the whole way through and they deserved to win.

My speculation is whether the Cup is pre set/pre determined. I find it hard to believe that the Cup follows the same trends each year and I also find it difficult to believe that teams are able to draw a game. There are so many players on each team, that it is almost impossible for a game to be drawn, unless they round the points. Since everyone is saying that freeloaders can not harm your game then I can understand that yisliu's speculations are wrong, but did you ever think that maybe TNT choose who is going to win the Cup?

Regarding draws, it's quite obvious that a "draw" occurs when both teams scored within some range - say 5,000 points. Therefore, if RI got 75,000 and KI got 72,000 points (only 3000 difference), it would still be considered a draw.

This is just an example of course, but it's something along those lines. Maybe next year they will make the "draw" range smaller if TNT think there were too many draws this year.

TNT could predetermine the results of the cup, but I don't think they would risk their credibility. If it ever got out there would be a lot of angry players. It's not that difficult to tally all the scores and stick them in some formula. I think they'd choose the latter.

edit// sorry i got a little off topic there ^_^ I agree with Paul. TNT can anticipate these things and find ways to prevent them, they're smarter than that.

It's been specifically mentioned that the method TNT uses to account for team sizes is not adversely affected by freeloaders (at least, not by much) so I'd have to disagree with this theory. It's not a bad hypothesis though. :)

Personally, I think that both teams played their hardest in the finals, and the Rooligans put in just enough effort to secure a victory (which they definitely deserve).

Good point, however, I don't think it's really caused by new players freeloading. There might be other possible factors such as RI slacking off, or KI players shifting second gear.

Also, yooyuball was the only basis in the finals. KI might have won the sub-games, but RI won yooyuball and took the cup home. It was not a huge surprise because RI efeated KI in the double round robin twice, and at this point, both teams were more likely than not giving it their all.

Yeah it would, but why would they hint it!! TNT aren't that stupid. They know all hell would break loose if anyone ever found out. But this is only a speculation!!

Im in Roo Island!=]

We are the wiinner.... this is cool..

but.. the Trophie is.. not nice.. not very good..

*i dont write very good in english.. sorry! i leave in israel..*

I was very disappointed with the result as I spent too many hours in working hard for KI hopefully to win the champion. However, what happened have happened. At least I got three fire yooyus from it. Not impressive at all with the prizes that TNT offered.

However, if really the said 1st runner up will always win the champion next time, I will be very looking forward to seeing KI hopefully win at least once. Then I can :graduated: .