Syn-Chan

Do you like Twilight?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's overhyped?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • In between.
    • Don't care.

Here's my take...i'm a female in my 30s with kids....Up til 3 months ago, I had never really paid much attention to Twilight. I found the 1st book used and read it, went mental, bought the rest and went "wow this was really great!"

then I got the audio books from the library, listened to them and after the 2nd time through went "jesus christ, I could have written this crap."

I think it was a gripping story but compared to Harry Potter (no matter if you liked it or not by the last book you can see what a kick as story arc JK Rowling created) this was just High school writing at its best. Kind of a lame story, and the characters are pretty one dimensional.

The movie was Ok...nothing surprizing and pretty well made...

I can see if I was a 13 year old girl how I would be out of my mind mental over this, because, it seems like a 13 year old girl COULD have written this story.

I will see the sequels, if for nothing else, than R-Pat is a cutie.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the woman is a terrible writer. She has a nice imagination but is doesn't stretch much farther than that. I suggest Michael Crichton. He is my favorite author. Probably not for Twilight fans though. It's very sciencey.

I think it is over-hyped, since its not like the books are super great, they are just super addicting.

and i think the movie was horrible unless you read the books to get some background on it. but i watched it with my cousins and sister and it was just hilarious how awkward the movie was.

but definitely addicting. i have no doubt i will read the books and watch the movie over and over. and i think the addiction is the key to its success.

I read all of the Twilight books when everyone used to make fun of me for reading "vampire love stories".

I didn't really care, because I liked the books. Then my Mom gave me a Kelley Armstrong book to read and I realized how much Stephanie Meyer copied from her! I lost my liking for the books (but Kelley Armstrong is still good). Then about a month later, everyone became obsessed with them. I think what really made me hate them, is when somebody got mad at me because I didn't like Edward. I personally don't like his personality, and I don't care if he's hot or not. I think he is a drama-queen and over protective. I wouldn't like that. I wore a Team Jacob shirt to school to see what would happen and everyone gave me dirty looks.

I'll just stick to re-reading my Harry Potter books constantly.

Personally, I liked both the books and the movie, but yes, it was overhyped.

There were way too many people obsessed, and I think it was more of people following the crowd than actually liking it. O.o

Way overhyped.

Twilight is a good series.

It is, in no way, an amazing piece of literature. It's not comparable to Shakespeare or Charles Dickens, as some would try and say. Yes, many have read it and enjoy it. For one reason: the hype. I believe that if you hear something being extremely hyped and hear of how good it is, you become biased. You're more willing to like it, because you know so many others do.

I have fangirl moments myself, but the kind of fangirling Edward gets is insane. Maybe it's because I don't find him too attractive myself, but still. :/ Bothers me.

I read the books because my friend told me about then and mentioned Kristen Stewart, who I quite like, would star in the movie. I really enjoyed Twilight and New Moon (especially New Moon, I'm not a fan of romance stories) but Eclipse and Breaking Dawn weren't as good, to me at least. I lost a lot of love for the books when- spoiler- Bella agreeed to marry Edward. And after Bella is turned in Breaking Dawn it is sickeningly happy happy joy joy. The cottage, her 'power'- just an easy way for Meyer to skip past Bella as a 'newborn'.

I've never been the biggest fan of Bella and Edward, they have always irritated me somewhat but I love the other characters. Especially Rosalie who was about the only person in the universe who didn't like Bella and Edward.

But that's just my opinion. They're not incredible literature but readable, they won't surpass Harry Potter though. I don't think we'll see anything surpass HP in our lifetime. Fangirls are annoying, especially ones who only care that Edward is 'hot'. Which is like... all of them... haha.

Read the books before the huge hype.

Thought they were simply written and entertaining and then moved onto other books.

Don't get the hype *shrugs* and am sure can wait for the movie to be out on DVD before seeing it as wouldn't waste my money to see it on the big screen.

Madagascar 2 however, now there's a great movie, lol

I really don't think it matters whether something is popular or not. If you like it, you like it. You don't have to just shun the whole idea just because it's getting good reviews. There are a lot of obsessive creepy little girls in love with Edward though *__* But still.

I thought Twilight was a really good book, but I have only read the first one. Just haven't been in the mood for some amazing cliche' cute love story o.- I haven't seen the movie either. I get mixed reviews about it though. But since most of my friends are 17 and 18 they don't go googoo eyed over just the mention of Edward :P They actually have good opinions.

I read Twilight WAY before the hype though. Actually, I read it right before it started ^__^ My friend told me to read it because it was very good according to him. And to me it was. Even though I say I really like the book, I too am getting just a teeeeeny bit annoyed at all of the Twilight junk out there x___x

• 2 months later...

It was the obsessive fans that put me off reading the books. And there seem to be a lot of twilight haters and twilight obsessive fans which was what really annoyed me. It seemed a little boring to me, which surprised me, because I thought it would be wonderful or terrible for people to hate or like it so much. But I'm still reading. I'm like one-fiftieth of the way XD.

The Twilight haters can be as annoying as the fans. I once saw someone post: 'Twilight readers are unintelligent because Twilight is obviously badly written and anyone who reads it can't see it. so they must be under-average.' Even though I don't really have opinions on Twilight, it sure is irritating to here that sort of thing.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Crusher) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please avoid bumping an old topic.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

It makes me mad how much Twilight took off, esp. with the movie. The books had been around so much longer than this hype and had it started from the beginning I don't think I'd be as annoyed right now. I love Twilight, don't get me wrong, but I started with book one and book two just after two came out. Then all of a sudden when book three comes out the series just explodes. And all of sudden, I was a follower, and yes I was that with HP too but for some reason Twilight just bugs me more.

And with that, that movie! I somewhat watched it (wasn't paying for it so I got creative on how to watch it ;)) and I knew that Robert and whats her face wouldn't do a good job acting but from what I've seen it just looks like a bad teen movie with horrible writing and acting.

Still I understand why everyone reads the books, 1 and 3 are good, i though 2 and 4 were HORRIBLE, esp. 4. Worse series ending. But they are a good read, esp. if your in one of those moods were you want to believe the awkward average girl can get the good cute guy. I just wish people would read the books because they are there, not because of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i haven't read any of the post because i'm going to go on my little rant that i have about twilight Sorry in advance.. I personaly LOVE the book. Hate the movie. What angers me is that a lot of my friends who i've told so many times to go out and read the book, never ever even believed me that it was a good book and laughed in my face when i told them what it was about. And as soon as the movie trailer came out they went all OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE TWILIGHT! I just wanted to kick them!(to be nice) I mean after like over a year and a half of telling them to go out and read the book and see how good it is they only do it when the movie comes out. After the movie came out so many of my friends were like reading twilight! Reading New Moon! I told one, if you haven't read the book you are missing out on a lot.

Some people may not like it and thats your opinion i'm not going to be like wow you have bad taste but it really angers me that people read the book after the movie just because of Rob(Edward) He is not suppose to glow like that in the movie! I Mean he is suppose to throw off rainbows look more diamond ish! So many of the parts in the movie was not accurate to the book! I was watching it and couldn't help but laugh at some places. yes i own the movie just so i can grow with it beacuse i will always want to see it really , i mean i want to see how bad they will mess it up. I also hated the acting in twilight, I thought they did not depict the characters well. The books should be read because they are amazingly detailed books about an average girl falling in love with a extremely gorgeous boy. At least when HP did they movies they did it somewhat right and was better. I'll end here for my rant

Sorry about the big blob paragraph, its kinda hard to seperate, lol.

I've never read the books...they're not really the type of book I read, and therefore I haven't seen the movies. Honestly, it all sounds a bit annoying. If they end up casting Gaspard Ulliel in the role for the next movie, though, I'd be first in line for a ticket. :D

• 5 weeks later...

for me i like the series and the movie was.. okkay. and about those fangirls.. well, whether you like it or not they're always gonna be there. not just for this movie but other movies too. its not that i'm defending them or anything but i just see it that way. so i just deal with it. im not really judgemental so i practically am okay with everything lol. well.. yeah. that's my take on this.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics inactive for more than 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Ruto if you have any questions regarding this action.