Battered, bruised, beaten ...

maxwerx

I'm a gentle soul. I don't push. I stand in line even if others cut in front of me. I always wait for the WALK sign, and I don't even try to run across if the street if the WALK sign is starting to flash to say that time's almost up. I don't litter. I always (unless I'm ill) let people older than me take my seat in the train.

Today when I waved down a taxi, a big man and this scandalously-dressed teenage girl rushed in and got inside. I stood there for 30 seconds, frozen. I am always incapable of immediately understanding why people can be so mean. Why? Why are people so mean? LOL

Dante said, "Considerate la vostra semenza: fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza." ("Consider well the seed that gave you birth: you were not made to live your lives as brutes, but to be followers of worth and knowledge.") I actually believe this. I know believing in this is stupid, and I'm like a little child who still believes in Santa Claus.

But being pushed around happens so often. Surely, nice guys can finish first?

Well yeah, us nice guys do get pushed around. But it's a fact of life. :( Bullies get their way.

Personally, I enjoy being a nice guy because I know that not everybody out there is an idiot. There are people who appreciate help and kindness, people who'll smile at you if you vacate your spot at the computer lab for them, or who'll make a post to say 'thank you' after you give them help with the Altador Plot. That kind of thing is easily worth more to me than getting knocked about by the bullies you meet in life.

And of course, there's the fact that I really see no reason to push and be mean when you can still get what you need politely. :)

I agree with what a lot of AA said. Sure, there are lots of rude people, but there are always the nice ones to make up for it.

For example, last night I went to Wal-Mart (definitly mark of my going insane) where it was packed with three check-out lanes open. Some people pushed, shoved, and complained. But there were some nice people in line who were polite and pleasant to be with for the next twenty minutes.

So unless they're harming my or my family/friends well-being, I ignore the rude people. It's not worth it most of the time, anyway.

Well, I sure as heck am sorry to hear that, But you've gotta remember that there are other people out there like you. It's just, that fact gets clouded over because the sadness and anger you feel towards those mean people is clouding over any happiness you may get from seeing other nice people.

Bad, dismal emotions are much stronger temporarily. But when you look back in the long run, you'll find you've run into many people who have made you happy or feel good. And trust me, dwelling on thsoe feelings rather than the ones you have people like that man and the teen girl is better for you (and your health) :D

i completely believe in that saying too. there are so many jerks in the world but every time i see a random act of kindness or a show of restraint and patience - which does not happen often new york city - it really does warm my heart and makes my day all that much better.

though it may seem like the bad guys in the world are getting their way, nice guys really do finish first. If you think about it purely in terms of relationships you might see that the rude, a**hole types are always getting the girls or whatever but when it comes down to real, serious relationships, i don't know any girl that wouldn't give anything for a considerate, sweet, genuinely nice guy. If you are concerned about the work place, some guys can get away with being conniving and back stabbing and doing whatever they can to get ahead but most companies i've been involved with will recognize and reward loyalty.

people decide to be mean for whatever reasons but please - and im talking to all nice people out there - don't let those guys get you down and don't lower yourself to their level. William Wodsworth said it is "the little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best parts of a person's life."

You know.. It may seem like Nice Guys finish last, But you never know. Something could have happened to that guy and his teenage daughter. And in New York (If that is where you are talking about) Things like that happen way to much. Just let it roll. Things go over like that so many times, Its just a w/e moment. Though It may never be as big as you want it, Karma comes around, Nice things happen to nice people, and bad stuff will come right back in your face.

Ah! I cant explain things well. But jsut keep looking forward and put the nasty things behind you where they belong!

I really hope there were more people like you, i live in a uber-violent city, where more than 1300 people were killed only in 2008 because of some conflicts between 2 really nasty group of people. The truth is most of the people that get advantage don't really enjoy life, they're always worried about being the first that when they're already there is nothing special at all, and sometimes people with a lot of money don't enjoy it or are stressed about making more and more, I dunno...

Ah! reminds me of what happened in Akiba for some reason. (Last summer there was a terrible incident where a lot of people were killed by this one guy)

But ya know, thats like the other thing, People with money are never happy, and people without have everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Irritating as rude people can be, I always try to assume the best. I mean, that trashy-looking teen could have been frantically trying to get home. Hard as it can be, I just go on my way, trying to make other folks's days a bit better. Of course the rude, nastsy, obnoxious ones are out there... but I think we all have days where we are rude, nasty, or obnoxious. So I try to be a little nicer to the nasty ones, wish them a good day... maybe tomorrow will be better. And who knows-- the kind word I say to Mr. Mean today may make him re-think his attitude, and start to be a bit nicer. If nothing else, I feel better being nice to other people than I do when I'm rude. Being nice may not bring me in first... but second place is okay too.

Yes, nice guys finish last and probably with a black eye or bruised shoulder, but we're also the ones who finish with a smile on our faces and a group of REAL friends. The ones who push and shove through life end up pushing everyone they could care about away from them. And who knows? You may end up really liking the person in the back of the line. =]

~ Livvy

Well, it depends on what you mean by "nice guy". If it's being a "yes-man" or a "doormat", then yes, you will finish last. And you'll get bruised and beaten along the way. And you probably won't be smiling at the end.

If you mean "nice guy" as in someone who is generous when the time calls for it, but not overly generous, someone who knows how to say no, and you aren't rude to others, but still able to do what you want, then yes, you will go far.

There are two different kinds of nice guys. Don't be the kind who lets others just step all over them.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "nice guy". If it's being a "yes-man" or a "doormat", then yes, you will finish last. And you'll get bruised and beaten along the way. And you probably won't be smiling at the end.

If you mean "nice guy" as in someone who is generous when the time calls for it, but not overly generous, someone who knows how to say no, and you aren't rude to others, but still able to do what you want, then yes, you will go far.

There are two different kinds of nice guys. Don't be the kind who lets others just step all over them.

Hear, hear, Unstream!! Doormats tend to make everyone else happy... and themselves miserable. But you are so right that the folks who shows kindness at all times, then no, you will NOT finish last. (even though some days it may feel that way)

I dunno what to say, cuz if I said you have to argue than the heading of the title says it all..but if you ARE a doormat than everybody is happy EXEPT you...