Freeloaders?

alyssa!

After browsing the AC boards on Neopets, I have come to the conclusion that many people, if not all the people who have All-Star-ed already, talk about freeloaders. They call people who are only at like, Rank 4 (like me) freeloaders, saying that they don't play enough or they don't love their team enough, or they don't want their team to win.

I think it's wrong that people are calling players like me freeloaders. We're sorry that we aren't on the computer 24/7. I wouldn't say that I am one; I would say that I have a life away from the computer. I would also say that Neopets' games are not the only thing that hold my interest on the internet.

So, I'm curious.... How would you define a freeloader?

Someone who doesn't play as much as they should/could?

Someone who only plays a little on purpose?

Or someone who hasn't played at all, and is just along for the ride to the top?

I would define a freeloader as someone who doesn't play at all, especially if they joined one of the teams they knew had a good chance of winning the Cup. The way you play sounds like a perfectly acceptable situation; there's nothing wrong with having a life outside of Neopets. :) And FYI, this is coming from someone who is two ranks way from All-Star. Heck, I'm actually getting really sick of spending all day playing; I want my life back, lol.

And FYI, this is coming from someone who is two ranks way from All-Star. Heck, I'm actually getting really sick of spending all day playing; I want my life back, lol.

Wow that is just how i am. I am getting so sick of playing all day. I want to go do something else, play a different game or something. I just got to level 17 though. I still have a lot of work to do to get to All-Star.

EDIT: I just realized i didn't answer the original question. I personally think that freeloaders are the people that either pick a team and never play or they come in at the very end to try and get the cup in their lookup. Both to me seem wrong. The players that can't get to level 20 are not bad. No one knows what responsibilities they have. They very well could be doing all they have time to.

I can emphatise with you alyssa =/. Although I've not been called freeloader (thank goodness), many scoff at casual players who do not 'show enough passion for the team'. Not all of us can afford to sit through 5 hours of yyb in a row or keep track of opponent's progress for half a day. RL > Neopets hehe. So trust me, you are fine. ^^;;

But if you join the team close to the end because you know there is a good chance the team wins, it's kind of freeloading to me. Since it doesn't affect the scores or whatnot, there's really no need to flip because of them although it would be nice if they contributed even a game =P.

I personally think that freeloaders are the people that either pick a team and never play or they come in at the very end to try and get the cup in their lookup. Both to me seem wrong. The players that can't get to level 20 are not bad. No one knows what responsibilities they have. They very well could be doing all they have time to.

Hah, oh man, I am totally guilty of coming in at the end with the highly ranked team... Oh man... But hey, at least I'm playing quite a bit this year. I'm redeeming myself...

By definition, a freeloader his someone who takes advantage of someone else's generosity without giving anything in return. While some people are giving it there all, there are people who just don't play the games, for reasons of their own. Having a life outside the internet is nothing to be ashamed of. You shouldn't even worry about what those All-Star guys are saying. (Seriously, and I don't mean to offend, but the people who achieve highscores in any game on neopets Seriously has way too much time on their hands... Like really...)

So in other words, yeah, those who join a team and don't contribute any points, are what I would call freeloaders. You aren't a freeloader if you're actually playing, even if you are a lower rank.

I say that people that come in late are freeloaders because they will be getting credit for the work that they hadn't helped achieve. They come in towards the end even if they do help they can't say that they did anything for all those matches that made them a top contending team. Therefore they did freeload even if they are trying to make up for it now. I am not saying that there aren't extenuating circumstances but ultimately that is how i feel.

Hey, no hard feelings. I know that I didn't help much before. Frankly, I joined Neopets again in March and didn't really know about the tournament until the finals. Don't know why I didn't hear of it. I guess I just wasn't on all that much.

But really? Isn't the tournament just supposed to be for fun? It doesn't really matter who wins and who doesn't, it shouldn't be about getting the top rank and supporting your team by playing 24/7, shouldn't it? If you make it to rank 20, that's awesome, but I don't think the ones who were bashing people who are lower ranks should be doing so.

This isn't the NHL, it's an internet game. If there were actual real prizes involved, like money or free trips to the Carribean, or what not, then they'd have a reason, but a trophy on your lookup? You can get hundreds of them! (Granted you can beat the highscores in every game imaginable, or get close to it...) I say it's all in good fun, and if you do well, you do well, If your team does well, your team does well. If you don't want to play as much as everyone else, that's all well too. It's not something that should be taken so seriously.

Disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions of this statement are not necessarily those of TDN, TNP, or any other persons other than ashy4. Just putting that out there... :whistle:

Just to say none of that was directed at anyone. I personally couldn't care less how much you play. The whole topic was what do you think makes a freeloader so i just answered. Also in my first post here i did say that everyone has different responsibilities so no one knows if they actually are a freeloader or if it is just something that couldn't be avoided.

I would define a freeloader as someone who doesn't play at all, especially if they joined one of the teams they knew had a good chance of winning the Cup. The way you play sounds like a perfectly acceptable situation; there's nothing wrong with having a life outside of Neopets. :) And FYI, this is coming from someone who is two ranks way from All-Star. Heck, I'm actually getting really sick of spending all day playing; I want my life back, lol.

I agree with you entirely. Everyone was sure KI would win, and they probably will. But, then if someone joins because they think the team in question is going to win, and they don't play at all, I consider them a freeloader.

I think that those who join a high ranking team without contributing at ALL is a free loader. I'm only on rank 4, but I also work a full time job, my mother has been in and out of the hospital, and I am pracitically raising my little sister because my mom is so sick. So when I hear people calling someone with my rank a freeloader, I get a bit peeved, my home life is far to stressful to worry about the outcome of an internet game, they should be lucky I am playing at all. There's a reason I am staying away from the AC boards, I probably wouldn't be able to hold my tongue long if I heard someone saying stuff about my low rank.

Seriously though, congrats to all of you who are going for all-star. I realize that must take a huge amount of time and effort on your part, just remember to go out and get some sun every once in a while, and don't ruin your eyes by looking at the computer too long, it IS only a game after all.

well we lost to tyrannia maybe maraqua has its chance to defeat us huh?maybe i should take a rest and wait for final anyway we are at the bottom...list like last year...in ACII we won because we played we struggle... in ACIII some players just sit down and relax and dont do anything because we won in ACII maybe they know we are gonna win because we won last year.....hmm some team

well we lost to tyrannia maybe maraqua has its chance to defeat us huh?maybe i should take a rest and wait for final anyway we are at the bottom...list like last year...in ACII we won because we played we struggle... in ACIII some players just sit down and relax and dont do anything because we won in ACII maybe they know we are gonna win because we won last year.....hmm some team

I don't think this really answers the question being posed.

Since TNT has stated that someone not playing the games does not detract from the team performance, I hesitate to say someone who joins and doesn't play a freeloader, although it's true, if you join and don't play then you reap the benefits of others' work. So okay, I guess in my opinion, someone who joins a team but plays absolutely no games or someone who joins a team very close to the end are both freeloaders. But then, if you ride other people's coattails in a game, you probably do the same in real life and eventually it catches up with you somehow.

Freeloaders a re people who pick a good team and just seat back and enjoy the ride. A free trip to a shiny trophie with others working hard on the PC with there parents thinking they're obssed and them starting to get hunchbacks(me :() to make thier team win and get the same rice.. oh you get my point :hmmph:

*sighs* Given that I've only played a few games compared to everyone else, I hope I don't get called a freeloader. It's not exactly easy to sit in front of a computer and play a lot of games when your papers are calling you. :laughingsmiley: But seriously, REAL freeloaders are the ones that don't do anything at all. And I mean, at all.

I think it's someone who just joins a team which they think will win for the sake of getting a trophy at the end of the tournament. Not playing much is different, that person may have real life stuff to deal with but a freeloader in my opinion just wants to be on the winning team.

Personally, I think that a freeloader is someone who plays just for for a trophy and doesn't help, for their "powerhouse" team which they joined. For those people who don't know that you have to play a game to actually get a trophy, I think that is what you get for being a dumb ol' freeloader.

Phew i guess i'm not a freeloader then. Even though some people may call me a freeloader because i play maybe 4 games of YYB a day. I just find it really hard to sit in front of a computer and play the same game for half a day. I have to get out and get some fresh air or do something other than sit and play.

I think a freeloader is someone who joins a historically high-ranking team and then literally plays nothing, or maybe only 1 or 2 games ever.

I think if you so much as play 10 yyb games throughout the month, then you probably aren't a freeloader. Maybe I have a less stringent definition than most, but basically freeloading to me implies none or almost no participation, despite signing up.