Hackers, and why they deserve respect

I've seen many members on these forums use the term 'hacker' to describe those people who sneak cookie-grabbers into their shops or user-lookups, construct scams, and wreak all sorts of havoc on those of us who abide by the rules and just want to have a good time. Recently, with these problems becoming more widespread on Neopets, the misuse of this term has spread as well, and I just felt the need to explain to everyone that this definition is wrong.

Now, I'm not trying to blame or criticise anybody here - it wasn't too long ago when I was making the same mistake (and if you already know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need to be reading this). This post is just an explanation, meant to clear up a common misconception and perhaps enlighten another little pocket of the world. :)

Okay, when someone refers to the perpetrators of a cookie-grabber scam or whatnot as 'hackers', they're not only using the term incorrectly, they're also insulting an entire culture. This culture has been around since the birth of the computer, it's still going strong today, and it's responsible for just about every technological innovation that made the system you're using to read this post possible today. So be grateful for it! :P

Allow me to show you an accurate definition of the word 'hacker':

A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. RFC1392, the Internet Users' Glossary, usefully amplifies this as: A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular.
Source: The Jargon File

So what is a hacker? A hacker is simply a person who enjoys programming for the sake of programming, someone who loves tackling problems and solving them, who gets a thrill out of learning the deepest workings of any system they come across. That's all there is to it.

Hackers are sensible, intelligent, creative, hard-working people with a passion for what they do. They almost always have a clearly defined ethical code which they will only break in the most extreme of circumstances. Hackers are not vile, evil people who will ruin the years of hard work you put into your account just for kicks. As a matter of fact, hackers absolutely despise that kind of person.

In actuality, a hacker who discovered a security hole in Neopets' would most likely document the whole thing neatly and report it to TNT. The absolute worst thing any self-respecting hacker would do would be to unleash a little mischief to prove their point. (I wouldn't really know, but I get the impression filling a TNT member's inventory with junk items would be an especially hacker-ish thing to do)

Now, the sad idiots who steal people's accounts, those aren't hackers (as you've probably realised by now). Sure, they often call themselves hackers, just to try and make their miserable selves seem 'cool' to the rest of the world, but the correct general term for them is 'crackers'. More specifically, 'script kiddies' are crackers who download and use tools created by others with no idea how they work. And of course 'scammers' are the people who run scams and phishing pages. 'Moron' is another generally applicable term.

So yeah, there's my point. There are hackers, and there are morons. Please don't confuse the two. :)

I agree completely. The term 'hacker' has become incorrectly used by so many people in so many different situations. The only thing I would add is that hackers are not just IT experts, but also look for security holes. They don't exploit them, as you have stated, but unless they're looking for security holes, they're not hackers (or security experts, which is P.C.), just IT pros.

Not all hackers are good people, there is actually a division within the culture.

Good hackers, known as 'white hats', (aka, 'ethical hackers') are computer security experts, who specialize in ensuring that a company's information systems are safe and secure. There is even a certification form for this, and in order to get the certification, they must adhere to strict moral guidelines. There are most likely a few of these that work for TNT and they must be (and feel) overworked. Kudos to them though.

Bad hackers, known as 'black hats' (aka 'crackers', though that's not quite right), are hackers that specialize in unauthorized access of computers and programs. They use computers to attack systems for profit, for fun, or just about any other reason. Often their access includes modification and/or destruction of data, and is done without authorization and hence they should not be confused with 'ethical hackers'. They often spread computer viruses, internet worms, and deliver spam through the use of botnets.

Now, the reference of 'cracker' to black hats are people that crack software to remove protections on that software, like serial numbers, demo versions and thing like that. Generally, I don't give such people the status of black hat, since they use programs they didn't design and often have no clue how to use, hence my above comment on how 'crackers' isn't really the correct term in my book.

And, there's even a third faction in the hacker world. They are known as 'grey hats'. They are skilled hackers who sometimes acts illegally, sometimes in good will, and sometimes not. They usually do not hack for personal gain or have malicious intentions, but on occasion they will break a law or two in the pursuit of their goal.

Thank you Random Invisible Guy for pointing out that hackers is not the correct term for the CGers going around Neopets for now, and for pointing out hackers aren't all bad ^_^

Disclaimer: All the above info was gathered through years of association with all types of hackers, and are merely my outlook and opinions on the different types.

Bad hackers, known as 'black hats' (aka 'crackers', though that's not quite right), are hackers that specialize in unauthorized access of computers and programs. They use computers to attack systems for profit, for fun, or just about any other reason. Often their access includes modification and/or destruction of data, and is done without authorization and hence they should not be confused with 'ethical hackers'. They often spread computer viruses, internet worms, and deliver spam through the use of botnets.

Well yes, that is kinda the technical definition of black hats - and they can be pretty exasperating! However, most of the black hats I've met personally do have their own moral guidelines (guidelines as in pirate's code guidelines :P ) which they won't go beyond, albeit very loose ones. And most of them are actually just as hard-working and sensible as other hackers, although they have zero respect for the law and people's privacy. :yes:

I suppose cultural divides are unavoidable though, and thanks for bringing this up!

PS: I agree with you that Black Hat Hackers ≠ Crackers, and that the distinction is in their level of programmatical and mental competence.

So, mechanics are to cars as hackers are to machines? And car thieves (hotwiring, etc) are to cars as cracks are to machines? I love them analogies. :laughingsmiley:

*cough* Thank you for the insightful topic on hackers. Everyone who throws around the word give the real experts with the computer a bad name. Kudos!

Yes, yes, hackers don't get much respect these days.

Cookie grabbers are NOT hackers, hackers are much much more experienced.

So before you post, 'omg the hackers are back in shops' remember this topic, and say, 'The cookie grabbers are back in shops' and if anyone else says they are hackers, you can correct them.

So, mechanics are to cars as hackers are to machines? And car thieves (hotwiring, etc) are to cars as cracks are to machines? I love them analogies. :laughingsmiley:

Yup, those are pretty good analogies. They basically sum up what I was trying to say in a much more concise manner. xD

Thanks a ton for posting this, AA! :) I always see forum members make the mistake, and even though I overlook it, there is a major difference.

Script-kiddies really, really irk me. If anyone ever sees someone that claims to be an uber-hacker or whatever, please know that they are really a moron. (heh, I like that term) A real hacker wouldn't claim to be one, just an enthusiast who enjoys programming just for the heck of it.

I actually laughed out loud; You just cheered me right up ^_^

Why thank you, it's not often I succeed in an attempt at humour. :P

Script-kiddies really, really irk me.

Ditto! I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for clarifying this AA . I've never really thought about this myself

me either.:D crackers=NOT hackers,hackers=NOT morons

A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular

so,THAT'S the meaning of hacker.they seem quite nice now,now that I think about it.

Earlier today I saw some people calling a Neo game cheater a 'hacker'.

Now, not pointing the blame at anyone here, but Morgan and me were linking to this topic, and correcting them.

Of course, all of what we were trying to point out was mentioned in this topic. =D

Just sayin' to use the correct terminology.

I've never thought of a hacker as an idiot, they are quite obviously the exact opposite. They HACK into a system that's meant to keep people away, that takes serious skill! There are white hat hackers.... black hat hackers .... (basically hackers for good and evil lol) ... I don't really remember the other types, we learnt about them in my IT class ages ago... but I've never been under the impression that they are anything less than genious! (or in a rare case... lucky!) By the way, has anyone seen the movie from the 90's called hackers? :P such a good movie! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agreed! Hackers deserve respect, and should not be known as those "cookie-grabbers" or "crackers". I remember when I had an assignment on the difference between white hat hackers and black hat hackers. I made some references to the movie Hackers (1995).

A very good film if I may say, and educational about those black hat hackers ;)

Definitly is, I need to try and buy that movie again ... my vhs is missing! :( Another good movie on hackers (sort of) is the new die hard! :) I really liked it ... it just shows how extremely smart they are

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, when someone refers to the perpetrators of a cookie-grabber scam or whatnot as 'hackers', they're not only using the term incorrectly, they're also insulting an entire culture.

-

I call those people crackers XD. If you visit wired magazine, the pages are filled with "hackers" who are legit.

I call those people crackers XD. If you visit wired magazine, the pages are filled with "hackers" who are legit.

Most hackers are more than just legit - they're dedicated, highly skilled programmers. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this topic was really informative. I'm never calling a CGer a hacker again!

I'm actually very inspired. White hat hackers are really respectable people. 8D If, and most likely, there are a team of them in Neopets, I hope they're not so overworked. xD