Is it just me, or do some people cheat?

Tamara

Okay, so I'm fiddling around Neopets, just doing random things. I ended up in the Neopian Lottery page. I start looking through all the winners, and noticed a weird pattern.

http://www.neopets.com/games/lottery.phtml

13/08/2009, 11/08/2009, 08/08/2009, 04/08/2009, 31/07/2009...

All these dates had the winner by the name "meanmoddy".

Sometimes this person would win along with others, but most of the time he would hit the single person wins.

The pattern was, he'd win every other week or so. Is it just me, or am I the only one that finds that suspicious?

Then, I went to his page and there is over 100 trophies.

How is this possible, and how do people get away with doing things that are obviously very suspicious?

I'm utterly confused.

I have no idea =o

*looks at current trophies* wish I had more game trophies but I'm really bad at them xD

I don't know how people could really cheat either though...

You'd be surprised how many people are able to break the games and such. My fiance found a TON of vids on YouTube that have people cheating, its ridiculous. They don't necessarily tell you HOW they do it; but the video is there as proof I guess. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it might be people who are knowledgeable in cracking those sorts of things (more specifically flash games).

I have no idea, honestly. I just don't think its fair for people that the guy mentioned in my first post to get away with things like that. He's obviously not really interested so much in the game, but maybe he works for one of those companies that sells NPs?

No idea.

If this guy was a newbie or had only been playing for a month or so, I'd say he's cheating.

But I can't quite point my finger yet. He's been playing for three years, so unless he's taken to cheating very recently, I can see how he got those trophies.

And maybe he just bought a lot of tickets, I dunno. I'm just not willing to accuse this guy of cheating yet. =/

It does seem a little sus i will admit, but he could just be buying a crap load of tickets and got very lucky o.o

but if neo hasn't banned him yet, he might not be cheating...

I'm not sure. He has a lot of avatars, and a 3 year old account, and I don't think he would risk that...it is a bit suspicious though.

Also, alot of those trophies are things you can get just by playing them alot, or being at the right place at the right time (like how I got a bronze at kiss the mortog). Things like cheat and cellblock - you just have to have patience and, after 3 years, you probably would get quite a few. Ok, maybe the lotto thing is suspious, but I think after 3 years if he was cheating he would have gotten some more impressive things than just bronze medals mostly.

yeah i'd bet he would just be buying a ton of tickets, or maybe there is a a consistency with the numbers every second week that after analyzing a ton everyone would figure out :)

I just found a way to make over 100k a day by doing almost nothing and its not cheating :) there r ways to get rich you just have to think outside the box :)

yeah i'd bet he would just be buying a ton of tickets, or maybe there is a a consistency with the numbers every second week that after analyzing a ton everyone would figure out :)

I just found a way to make over 100k a day by doing almost nothing and its not cheating :) there r ways to get rich you just have to think outside the box :)

*gets curious* ooooh what's the way? ^^ i get like 40,000 a day just by playing easy games xD

Guest Severus Snape

Oh, he's cheating alright. I bet he uses some kind of mass ticket autobuyer that randomly input numbers based on previous contests and that's what makes him win.

As for games, if he had all gold, that would be highly suspicious. If he is using a score sender (which, as far as I know, is a program used to send game scores) then he's quite clever about using it.

On a bigger scale, there are thousands of people cheating everyday on Neo, it's crazy. There are n00bs who just grab programs and send scores/autobuy without knowing tack, and those get frozen immediately. The others...well, become battledomers with their riches. That's why you see loads of newly-rich 3 month old accounts already with a 20 mil BD set or something.

That's partly why I don't hang out on the Battledome Chat any more. Too much cockiness by these newly-rich cheaters, and of course, drama.

Care to share with everyone? :) Probably something easy, but I always like hearing how others make NP's.

It makes me so mad when people cheat on those games!

Cheaters push the honest gamers down, therefore

almost completely killing their chance at getting a trophy. :grrr:

But I've noticed TNT has been icing a few cheaters on these games.

Sometimes when I click the username of the person who got the

highest score, their account is frozen. Although I don't see how

freezing accounts will ever stop them.

Freezing them will never solve the problem. Even if you froze someone enough so that they do not play on the site anymore others will always come. As kids are getting more computer savvy these days you will have younger and younger kids learning how to access cheats, which for neopets is insanely easy especially autobuyers. And with older people playing games more and playing games such as these you will have an evergrowing group of people to cheat on the site. Just be thankful that certain people don't bother making cheats for this site or the economy could be done in a day.

You will always have to deal with people cheating the only way for them to stop it would be to charge a fee, even a small one, to create a new account. This way people would have something to lose by being iced. But then it would fuel neopoints being sold for money and neopets does not want to fuel something like that.

Most cheats like autobuyers are basically impossible to catch if used right. Only the dumb people who use them to much or too often, or too fast will get caught. If the cheaters are not consistent with the cheats they might never get caught at all and even with the risk of cheating and getting frozen tons of people just love seeing how far they can get before getting caught.

/edit

And o P.S

Sorry I cannot tell you what I do exactly to make 100k a day by basically doing nothing because I do not wish for people to know my account and if someone found out exactly what I did it would not make money anymore at all. All I will say is that I bundle some attractive looking items together and sell them at at least double all the way to 4x what I pay. And I know there are those of you that say" AHH isn't that scamming on unknowing or new players" And I would say no. I have not had a single person complain to me after buying from me about the price, -Most people don't mind spending more for something if it is convenient-<--probably the only important thing to remember from this entire paragraph. By using this method you can find endless ways to make money if you make your own niche.

Guest Severus Snape
Freezing them will never solve the problem. Even if you froze someone enough so that they do not play on the site anymore others will always come. As kids are getting more computer savvy these days you will have younger and younger kids learning how to access cheats, which for neopets is insanely easy especially autobuyers. And with older people playing games more and playing games such as these you will have an evergrowing group of people to cheat on the site. Just be thankful that certain people don't bother making cheats for this site or the economy could be done in a day.

Most cheats like autobuyers are basically impossible to catch if used right. Only the dumb people who use them to much or too often, or too fast will get caught. If the cheaters are not consistent with the cheats they might never get caught at all and even with the risk of cheating and getting frozen tons of people just love seeing how far they can get before getting caught.

Some interesting points there. The paragraph in bold I didn't get, though. Do you mean that certain people don't bother making cheats for Neopets (like programs, etc...?)

Second paragraph is exactly what I had said before. The dumb get frozen, the smart don't always get away, but mostly yes.

I checked out this "meanmoddy" character, and found some things suspicious...

1. His "Nimmo Pond champion trophy" appears 2 times in trophy list, with no picture on top of it

2. The never-ending list of trophies is almost unseen of, and he tends to stay "under the radar"

Also (as I last checked), his user-layout is some-what different than most ones in terms of position and what-not.

Though it isn't illegal to have so may trophies, but that many in 3 years? Makes you wonder.

What I meant about be thankful some people don't bother making cheats for the game is:

I used to play a game called Diablo 2 for example

One day some people found out how to duplicate items( and its much harder to cheat on these tyes of games then it is neopets)

They decided to duplicate all the expensive items which is turn made every single good item on the game worthless and the economy crashed completely and every item was accessible and the economy was forever changed. I'm sure people could duplicate items in neopets if they worked hard and found out how but thank goodness there is no money in it. The people who sold diablo 2 items made fortunes and if they decided to mess with neopets the whole game could be ruined for almost all experienced or veteran players in a day.

thats only one example really if you look at some of the other huge games out there they make programs that can play the entire game for you and log you on when it wants and do everything. Now you might think that neopets would catch them but I highly doubt it if any effort was put into making the program.

I know him. (knew the name sounded familiar) I was set against him for one of the multiplayer competition games... he was very very good at it! It does seem suspicious to win the lottery that many times though.. Ive only ever one once... (not that i play all that much though...)

-> as for your general question ... yup of course some people cheat. There will always be cheaters, thats pretty much life. and it REALLY sucks when they get away with it! :( but you cant stop them all...

Yeah, that's true. But if you found out a way to cheat, of course you wouldn't tell anyone, and you'd be secretly laughing to yourself about it.

Whether he really cheats or not is still up for discussion, but then again, Neopets isn't the perfect game... there's always going to be cheaters who get away with it.

Could you imagine if hackers decided to duplicate items like ... MSPP and BGC and SuaP .. it would be horrible for the people who own those items, but good for everyone else who wants to get those avies, but have been unable...