Sketch Meowclops and big news!

Jolly Jasper

Sketch:

150_meowclops.gif

NEWS FROM NEOPETS OFFLINE

Big news from the real-world neopets company!

53.jpg

"Nexon and Neopets will partner to create a new user experience for MTVN's Neopets in North America and territories throughout Asia and Europe. This new service will enhance the current Neopets world, known as Neopia, by providing users the ability to purchase premium level virtual items for customization and personalization, in addition to those currently available on the site. Nexon will also provide marketing and promotional support in Asia across its games portal for the new Neopets services....MTVN executives said that most items will run users from $1 to $5. Users may also be able to pay to advance to different levels of Neopia, the Neopets world."

Here are some articles about it:

MediaWeek | World Screen | Red Herring | Yahoo! | Newswire

(thanks a lot to NL for those article links!)

In addition, the Spectral Essence has been found - check out our updated

guide!

Apparently, it sounds like people will be able to buy "personalized" virtual items with real life money. Also probably there will be a lot of cross-advertising, and it said that television advertising will come into play a lot more.

(did anyone see the altador cup commercial on Nickelodeon?? I was shocked when I saw it!)

So what exactly does this mean for neopets? Is it just another thing those of who are poor will never see because we can't afford the crap? I still don't have premium and the lack of the avatars I can get from it are really irking me. . .

Hey hey, guys. Calm down. It's not all that bad.

True, this will give the people with money advantages, sort of ruling the children out more and more. It's MTV making them do this, in my opinion, but meh. It's what pays for your account there. ;)

I say accept it. You can't do anything now!

hahahaa she scares me too cheesy, she scares me too.

The thing is...paying for items that DON'T EXIST is just stupid. Teaching children that little pictures on a website are something to be craved so much that you should actually spend your hard earned cash on it is silly. Remember when you were little and it was sooooooo special when you found 50c on the ground and you could go to the canteen and buy 50 (count them FIFTY!!!) fruit rolls or chocolate buds? I don't think I will ever pay for anything neopets will ever offer. I am already taking a break from much of the neosite stuff, these plots have burned me out a little bit. I'd rather spend money on experiences like travelling, spending time out with friends, nice food, pretty clothes and most important of all...CAMERA ACCESSORIES!!! ;) hehehe and to those of you who say "yeah but it's only $1 or $5" sometimes I find some utterly fantastic things for that price! Tshirts, handbags, masks, vintage collectibles, artworks, books, CDs, records, heck I even bought 3 vintage voigtlander cameras (WOW!) for $5 each last week :) I'd so much rather that than say...a user pays neohome for example. For the company though? Slick money making move. Maybe I should start a roleplay website! :woot: hahahaha

So what exactly does this mean for neopets? Is it just another thing those of who are poor will never see because we can't afford the crap?

Yes it sounds like it. And what it means is, the minute they started a user pays system, even if it is really cheap, it is the beginning of the end. It might be a slow slide but it will build momentum. It already has as you can see! Can you imagine children living in the gutter, starving while we all feed our money into these glowing machines for tiny pictures? I think I'm gonna donate some money to charity today.

Actually, Matt, I thought that was Eamon Holmes at first, before a THIRD look.

Eh, yeah, he is the managing director, but has little role. And when the deal was agreed, Adam was to be on the Board of Executives for Neopets. I doubt he's there now.

A pay system, what a revolting development. Hopefully, what's free now will remain free. It's been in my experience that when a business shifts hands... it's not always for the better. Plus... anything MTV related bothers me :laughingsmiley:. It could have nothing to do with MTV the channel... and just the name bothers me.