Shockwave Games Won't Work

Masaryk

It's been a long time since the Shockwave games worked for me in Firefox. But now they don't work in IE either. Every time I try to play any Shockwave game, I get the following error message: This Shockwave movie has errors that have caused playback problems. Please contact the author of this content regarding this problem. Shockwave is unable to continue.

I still need to get the avatars for Hannah and the Pirate Caves and Gourmet Club Bowls. These should both be fairly easy avatars, but I can't play either game. I have updated to the latest Shockwave Player and I have also tried legacy versions. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and I have the latest versions of IE, Firefox (3.6 beta), and Opera. These games will not work in any of these browsers.

I know that other users must also be having this problem, but some people can still play these games. Please help me figure out what I need to do to fix (or circumvent) this problem.

I second this question, as I've been having the same problem. It's frustrating, 'cuz the Hannah games were one of my dailies on which I could guarantee a good return. Not being able to play them is frustrating.

I think that a lot of the Neogames are poorly programmed pieces of garbage, and that is why they won't work. I'm hoping that someone will prove me wrong on this point, because, if it is TNT's problem, they won't end up fixing it.

Thanks for the link, Xepha. I'll start trying some of the possible solutions that I haven't already tried, and I'll let everyone know if something works. I'm stopping short of reinstalling Windows, though.

Well, I just finished doing a clean reinstall of Shockwave, and the games still don't work. They are exactly as broken as before. (For the technically-minded people who care, I edited my registry to remove all traces of SW before reinstalling.)

I also tried playing Shockwave games on other gaming sites. I was able to play games in both Firefox and IE. This is starting to look like more of a Neo problem than a Shockwave problem. I'm not very happy about that.

I'll keep trying to troubleshoot this problem; however, I'm already running into problems with the Adobe troubleshooting steps. Maybe another techie can help me out:

4. Re-create the Shockwave Player preferences folder.

If this folder exists re-create the Shockwave Player preferences folder to eliminate problems that damaged preferences might cause.

To re-create the Shockwave Player preferences folder:

Quit Shockwave Player.

Rename the Shockwave preference folder:

For Windows XP:C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Prefs

For Windows Vista: C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Prefs

Start Shockwave Player. Shockwave Player creates a new preferences folder.

If the problem recurs after you re-create the Shockwave Player preferences folder, the problem isn't related to the preferences folder. To restore custom settings, drag the file you moved in step 2 back to its original location, and then click Yes to replace the new preferences folder.

I followed the file path for Vista (yes, I know that AppData is a hidden folder), but there are no Shockwave folders in my Adobe folder! Therefore, I have no preferences folder either. Shockwave didn't create these folders during install/use. Suggestions?

I started using Google Chrome one day (for a number of reasons) and found that I could play Shockwave games fine on there. :)

I've never been the one to figure out the solution to these 'bugs'. :/

What operating system are you running? Also, do you know what version of Chrome you have installed and what version of Shockwave is running? Does Shockwave work in any other browser you have installed?

If Chrome works for these games, I'm willing to give it a try. It beats having to use IE.

Haha, well I'll answer these questions as accurately as I can. ;D

Windows Vista

Well, there's only one version of Google Chrome so far (not the BETA version)

I'm using the latest version of Shockwave

And no, only Shockwave works on Chrome so far, that's one of the reasons why I'm using it. :)

A person willing to explain the technical side to this would be appreciated. :P

I just finished installing. I'll check it out and let you know if it works for me.

EDIT: It didn't work for me. I still got the same error. I may have other problems with Shockwave, though. Personally, I think Chrome's worth trying, just to see how it works for other people. It only took a few seconds to install.