The Official Pokemon Topic

CAV of Gang Green

Effort Values. Each Pokemon has two value sets that effect it's stats.

Invidividual values are from 0 to 31, and are set for each unique Pokemon when it is generated in-game, and can never, ever be changed. Having a high IV (high genereally being 26 to 31, with 31 being worthy of worship) means that stat will get a major boost. IVs mainly effect base stats, the stats you'll get if you just rare candy (rare candies ignore EVs when they increase level) a Pokemon to level it or stick it in the daycare.

Effort values are gained by battling. Each species of Pokemon gives certian effort points when defeated, and they are used to determine how many extra stat points the Pokemon gains when it grows a level. A Pokemon can have 510 effort points total (then they simply stop being added in), with four EVs translating to one stat point. Each singular stat can only gain 255 effort points. This means that, overall, you can gain 64 extra stat points, with a max of 32 in two different stats. This leaves two effort points as extras. I'm not entirely sure why they did that, but it's likely as buffer if you mess something up.

As and added note, the vitamins like Protein add 10 effort points to the stat they correspond to. You can only give one Pokemon 10 of a single vitamin before it stops working though. Also, EVs are given to Pokemon with EXP Shares as wlel, the same as what the battlnig Pokemon gets.

EV training can be exhausting, as it involves keeping careful track of what you've battled, and where you can find more of the right Pokemon. A lot of people forego that mess completely and use a program to alter the EVs to what they want (since EVs are gain throguh gameplay and completely changeable, this raises no flags when checking for legitimacy).

Typed they up half from memory half from looking at Serebii. Tell me if you spot something wrong, I've enver actually EV trained myself.

Evolving Eevee is easy. Three use stones, two use happiness and leveling during either the day or night to evolve, and two involve being in a certian area in Sinnoh then leveled to evolve. The only Pokemon I can think that you'd take EVs into account when evoing is Tyrouge. You'd need to know about where attack and defense stand to predict what they'd be so you can get all three evos (Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop)

EDIT: Oh, right, natures. For each stat, there are 4 natures that increase it, while each lowers another stat in turn (that is to say, there are 4 nature that will cause attack to be higher, but one lowers defence, one lowers speed, one lowers sp attack, and one lowers sp defense). In addition, there are 4 natures that are neutral and do not increase or decrease any stats.

And this has been Anime's Crash Course in What Makes Stats Work. :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called a pokéwalker. You can transfer your pokemon to the device and take it along with you on several paths. It counts your steps as you walk (in real life) and usually levels up your pokemon by one if you transfer it back to your game.

You can also catch pokemon and find items with it, pretty awesome

---

Aaah encouraging fat kids who sit on their couch playing DS all day to exercise...not bad, Nintendo! (I'm one of those kids by the way...minus the 'fat' part). ANYWAY: that actually sounds really cool! Another reason why buying the game would be better than downloading it.. So you basically transfer your favorite Pokemon to the Pokewalker and it trains it for you?

Yea, Anime, you covered all the basic things you need to know about EV training. Explained better than I would've too!

Also, with the vitamins, they only work if the pokemons EVs for that stat is less than 100. So it's recommended that right when you get the pokemon you want to EV train, give it the vitamins before you train it. Saves you a lot of time.

Also, there are some EV-enhancing items that increase the EVs you get per win in a battle.

For example, the Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from battling a pokemon. So lets say you are fighting a wild rattata. Normally, they would give 1 Speed EV for each win, but if you have the macho brace on, it would be doubled to 2 Speed EVs each. And if you're lucky enough to have your pokemon infected with Pokerus, it would double the EVs gained again. So each rattata you fight will now give you 4 Speed EVs.

The Pokewalker doesn't give any EVs. It's pretty much just like a rare candy. A pokemon can only gain 1 level per walk when sent to the pokewalker. It won't gain anymore exp after that level up until you send it back to your game and take it for a walk again.

Right, forgot about those.

Yes, EV training can be a right headache. And if it was the math getting to you... you should see the how the game calculates all that together. Or what happens when you throw a Pokeball.

So you basically transfer your favorite Pokemon to the Pokewalker and it trains it for you?

Well you transfer a pokemon to the pokewalker, walk around with it for like a day or so (that's what I do anyway) and send it back to the DS, then it'll level up by 1.

However I once took my typhlosion with me on a hiking expedition, I walked 50km... But he didn't level up :( I guess he was too high in level (51 or something, at the time).

Not sure how it exactly works, what number of steps are required to level up. I guess something about it can be found on bulbapedia or serebii.

You can actually retreive a Pokemon when you lose the Walker. The Pokemon's data is stored in the game, while a generic sprite and trhe nickname are sent over to the Walker. *digs out PokeWalker instructions* Let's see... to get back a Pokemon sans Walker.. Um, not in this.... oh, page 52 of the game's instruction booklet.

Select "Connect to PokeWalker" on the main menu.

Press and hold UP, SELECT, and R.

It'll give you a nice "Caution" message. Select Yes.

The Pokemon will return to your box.

In the event you find the Walker, you'll need to reset it to use it again. To do that:

Select "Connecet to PokeWalker" on the main menu.

Press and hold, DOWN, X, and L.

It'll give you a caution message, then connect to the PokeWalker (you'll need to connect it from the Walker too, of course).

If it works, your Walker will display the "- _ -" face it showed before you ever put a Pokemon on it.

Each step is 1 exp point. You have to walk the amount of exp points your pokemon needs to level up.

I doubt that's true. I walked 50,000+ steps, and my pokemon really only needed 8k exp.

Also, I once walked 14000 steps with my togepi lv. 1, and it only leveled up once... So I guess it can only level up once?

Yes. Your pokemon only levels up once per stroll. You have to put it in the ds and then back to the pokewalker if you want it to level again.

Also, I don't know what's up then. I just tested it out. I had a pokemon who needed 127 exp to evolve, so I moved it to my pokewalker, walked exactly 127 steps, put it back, and it leveled.

Due to the mess with learning moves, evolving, and all that, they set it so if you put a Pokemon in the walker it gains a single level, regardless of how much you walked. If it would have learned a move or evolved with that level, it will not. You'll have to level it again to evolve it or see the move re-learner guy to get the move if you want it. For the most part, the Walker isn't for leveling- it's for finding other Pokemon and items, and, to a degree, increasing happiness. And the real reason? Game Freak wanted us to feel more like trainers- and being able to take a Pokemon with you anywhere and connect to your friends or even random people on the street is just the way to do that.

I tried to read that, I really did. I think my brain imploded a little after the second section though. o.o

I guess I really am a math person xD

Wasn't too hard to understand! That's why I was SUPER happy I got the pokerus on my SS game! It makes EV training easier when you equip the EV items and use all those vitamins. Only takes like less than 20 battles with one kind of pokemon and you're totally done EV training!

I EV trained a Gengar and Lapras on my Diamond game and man they were deadly :K

If anyone here every needs more help or explaining about EV training or about the Pokerus, feel free to ask =D

When I'm done with Sky Mystery Dungeon, might just EV train my Mewtwo into quite the special sweeper muahaha xD

Favorites (in no actual order):

Latios

Latias

Darkrai

Lugia

Articuno

Gardivoir

Gallade

Blaziken

Dialga

Rayquaza

Lucario

Suicune

Empoleon (my first pokemon to reach lvl 100)

Staraptor

Absol

Luxray

Froslass

Porygon Z

Arceus

I have a lot of favorites 0_0.

Mine... let me see....

Infernape

Eevee + all it's evos

Vulpix and Ninetails

Suicune

Beautifly

And I have a liking for Arceus as well.

I'm busy training some of my weaker pokemon. The pokemon I'm currently training:

Zaptos (Lvl 52)

Lugia (Lvl 54)

Latios (Lvl 53)

Gardivoir (Lvl 58)

Lucario (Lvl 87. He's my backup in case any of the others faint)

Skarmary (Lvl 39)

Zapdos, Skarmory, Gardevoir. Really, they're not that hard...

I need to get back to training my team... they're still hovering around level 50 as I ended up having to set my games aside to deal with AP tests.